5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for beginners, children and everyone else
Yes, this book does contain recipes that are too basic for people with decent cooking skills, but there are recipes for those people too. It's the mixture that makes it a true family cookbook - you can hardly start your children off cooking with complicated recipes. All the recipes are presented in a very clear way and easy to follow. What I realy like about this book are...
Published on 16 Aug. 2008 by Sabine Zimmermann

3.0 out of 5 stars River Cottage Family cookbook
The book is ok. I purchased it after I got Hugh's Everyday Cookbook which I use all the time. I wanted a few new ideas for puddings and cakes so purchased the Family cookbook. It gives you more help in preparation and items needed rather than lots of recipes.
Published on 20 April 2011 by bugging about

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Family cook book, 8 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is an interesting cook book that both adults and kids can use. My daughter is enjoying making the recipes with me

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 5 Dec. 2006
Sarah Corbett (doncaster,s yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
my sister bought me this for christmas(hint maybe?) i've got lots of other different kinds of cook books but i've never used any as much as i have this one!the recipes are simple and easy to understand and you don't have to do a full shop for the ingredients!!most recipes use things what you normally have in your cupboards which i thought was great,i would recommend to all, this book is fantastic!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 15 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
Lovely book with lots of info. Ideal for explaining the basics to my daughter when she gets a bit older.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good easy cookbook to use!!, 6 Oct. 2009
M. Emma Lang "Redheadem" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
It's a really good easy cookbook to use. The whole family can use it and enjoy it, the reason I bought the book was I was moving way to uni and I used it as much as my parents. It takes you back to basics with certain recipes but also has some more complex recipes. I would recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A family experience, 21 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
Having only just received this book I feel limited in review capabilities, however it looks amazing! From what I have read it is easy for the whole family to follow. My almost 5 year old son loves being read recipes as bedtime stories- we look at the pictures and then later cook the recipes. This book will feature prominently in our family as we try to ground our children with sound nutritional principles and develop a love for food that will help assist their health (and ours!) in the future.
I would recommend this book to families of all varieties and suggest it to be an ideal Christmas present from grandparents, aunties, uncles, grandchildren etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most used cookbook on my shelves!, 9 Jan. 2010
Mrs. J. K. Gibson (London) - See all my reviews
Everytime I use or even flick through this cookbook, I am more and more impressed. It has a lot of useful information about ingredients and methods, and even as a seasoned cook I have learnt so much. The recipes are so easy to follow, as you would expect in a family cookbook, and it gives warnings and advice to ensure everyone's safety in the kitchen. And every recipe I have tried has worked perfectly.

This cookbook inspired me to make my own jelly (I am talking the wobbly dessert type of jelly, not jam), home made ice cream (the best vanilla ice cream I have ever had) and brownies (crisp outer, soft inner - wonderful!). Plus the chocolate chip cookie recipe is top notch and so easy and quick. And I have also started making my own bread from this cookbook, easier than you think! It is one of the few cookbooks where I can see myself, eventually, having tried every recipe...they are all so appealing and useful.

I am shocked that anyone gave this cookbook one star - I say ignore that review and listen to all the others. I have a large collection of cookbooks and this would be the one I would recommend most highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh is a God!, 7 Feb. 2007
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
I'm a big Hugh fan, and I expected a lot from this book...

...and it delivered!

This book contains fantastic recipes, some are tricky, but most are wholesome and straight-forward.

The book also looks at the principles behind cookery and the ethics of where food comes from. This really is a book about food rather than a simple recipe book.

It details methods used in cookery, and explains the science behind many recipes/methods.

The book also contains some lovely photography and insights into Hugh's own 'food life'.

For anyone who has a similar philosophy to Hugh, then this book is a breath of fresh air. For those that don't - this book could be a revelation!

I've wanted a good recipe book with 'proper' food for a long time, now I've got it - alongside suggestions I'd never considered before. It's great to have a recipe bible from a foodie I respect more than any other on TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 30 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love Hugh's writing. Reading his books makes you feel like he's speaking directly to you. This book is wonderful for parents to use with their kids. I enjoy cooking and make every meal from scratch (no ready meals!), but I don't often explain the processes when the children help so it's nice to have a book which explains to the kids (and I learned a thing or two) the origins and fundamentals of food. Another recommendation would be 'How to be a domestic goddess' by Nigella Lawson. Her recipes are also simple to follow and older children would be more than able to give most a go on their own or with minimum supervision. Hugh's Meat book is also invaluable to the cook's kitchen library. If you like meat then buy this book, it explains every step of the meat process, from rearing and slaughter, to the different cuts and best ways of cooking and includes info and recipes for game and poultry as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Cooking the Hugh way..., 17 May 2010
Martin Swift (Scotland. U. K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
I had been after this book for a while and then forgot about it...I have a few River Cottage books now and this one may have resemblance to other River Cottage books when it comes to contents...but as far as I'm concerned a worthy addition to my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cook books, 17 Oct. 2007
Mrs. Virginia H. Stewart "Dorset girl" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The River Cottage Family Cookbook (Hardcover)
Having watched Hugh's series on living in Dorset, where we live, I am already a big fan of his cooking and this book did not disapoint.
I has been a super book to dip into and choose recipes to cook both on my own and with my children. What I particularly like is that the style doesn't patronise children and spreads the recipes between sweet dishes and main courses. The recipes are good for children to follow and presume that they are going to cook proper food not just fairy cakes.
I would really recommend this book to both families and adults, it's a good read (and beautiful to look at and handle) and the recipes work well. What more could you want!

The River Cottage Family Cookbook
The River Cottage Family Cookbook by Fizz Carr (Hardcover - 10 Oct. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01