on 15 September 2007
I haven't read any of Paul Johnstons scottish novels as they don't really appeal to me, I only picked this one up because I'm greek and greek fictions a little thin on the ground. Therefore I wasn't actually expecting it to be really very good, excellent in fact. The characters are absolutely believable and the plot fantastic.
I read parts to my rather ancient greek father (who doesn't read books) about the past; and he said how much it reminded him of all his old hopes and dreams of a better future from those times. He remembered all his old heroes from the second world war and after.
If I got nothing else from this book than my old Pa happily recanting his & his friends tales of heroism against the dictatorship then I must thank the author for the best book I've read all year.
Read this book I guarantee you'll not be able to put it down.
on 4 February 2015
Very satisfactory
on 21 August 2011
this is not as good as his previous books, the plot is strange and unexciting, this is the 2nd book in the trilogy and I wasnt impressed by the first.
on 6 March 2016