5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Book by Mike Gayle
This book is very typical of Mike Gayle's style. I started reading the book Friday night - now two days later it's finished, and I am left with a warm satisfied feeling. As usual with Mike Gayle, this book is a look into relationships. At times I felt happy and elated, at other times I was sobbing for the characters. Highly recommend this book!
Published on 18 Sept. 2005 by Only Me 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars A book for the ladies
Firstly let me say that Mike Gayle is my favourite author. However this book was not one of his best. His previous books could be enjoyed by male and female readers. Being a male myself, I did not feel 'Brand New Friends' appealed to me, but I would imagine that the female reader would get more out of this book.

If this is your first Mike Gayle book, I would...
Published on 8 July 2006 by Jonny Fiamond

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Mike Gayle's finest, 14 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
I admit I bought this book purely because it was Mike Gayle's latest work, and then read the back. On a whole. I found this book a fantastic read. Having good female friends myself I was quickly drawn in. Mike has created 2 very believable characters and their questioning of a complicated society we live in today. I couldn't put the book down either. I finished it in 3days and felt gutted when I turned the last page. Mike's previous work has been consistently excellent with no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brand New Friend - a review, 20 Sept. 2005
J. D. Naylor "jazzfan" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
Another cracking tale from the pen of Mike Gayle.As alway Gayle puts his previous experience as a magazine "agony uncle" to good use with his intuitive sense of relationship problems between men and women.It is all handled in an enjoyable and fun way but with real feeling and meaning veiled in Gayle's trademark light hearted and witty writing style.He never seems to lose the knack of including so many of those little day to day observations of life that makes his writing so real and absorbing.You find yourself liking and becoming involved with the characters and desperately want them to solve their problems and live happily ever after !
All in all this a superb,light hearted contemporary relationship story and goes to show that Mike Gayle is just an old romantic at heart!This book will appeal to men and women alike who are looking for a light hearted,fun and enjoyable read

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!!, 26 July 2006
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
This is going to be short and sweet. I started the book at around ten o'clock yesterday and finshed it at 3am this morning, there was no way I could put it down. An absolutely superb book. PLEASE READ IT!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Mike Gayle book, 4 Feb. 2013
K. Wilson "skatz" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
I have just finished this book in front of the fire on a bean bag when really i should have been doing coursework! I found it funny and touching. Gayle has tackled the subject of girl/boy platonic friendships and all the confusion they can cause. I am now a woman in my 30s who moved country to be with my man and this book was so spot on about how at this age it is almost impossible to make friends with the opposite sex and it made me sad to think about all those friends I have who now have wives and kids and we just keep in touch by the odd like on Facebook. He has astutely written about the fuzzy lines when you meet someone of the opposite sex you click with but don't necessarily want to be in a romantic relationship with because even when you meet someone of the same sex you click with it can often be almost like a romance or in the case of males a bromance. This will go on my list of favourite ever books, more please Mike!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can men and women ever be 'just good friends'?, 23 May 2008
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
Rob Brooks has been in a long distance relationship for some time when his girlfriend manages to persuade him to move to Manchester. Rob is apprehensive because he will have to leave his group of male friends. Nevertheless he goes. As Rob works from home and doesn't really know anyone he has difficulty making new friends (despite his girlfriend making him go on 'man-dates') until he meets a girl called Jo at a party. He instantly feels a rapport with Jo and what could be wrong with being friends with someone of the opposite sex?!

Like Mike Gayle's other books, this rattles along at a good pace and is quite easy reading. There are some wonderful observations made and it deals with a time-old question in an entertaining way. If you have read other Mike Gayle books and have enjoyed them, you'll be on safe ground with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can a man and a woman be `just good friends' ?, 3 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
Whether a man and a woman can be `just good friends' has been the subject of maaaaany a heated discussion. I'd side with `unfortunately, not past puberty'.

Here Mike Gayle tackles this subject with his usual light, humorous and very insightful touch and reaches the same conclusion, but so much more gracefully than most of us did at the Union bar. And no-one gives a better insight into the working of the male brain like Mike Gayle!

The only letdown in this book was Rob's girlfriend who is so sickeningly, annoyingly, cloyingly nice (borderline perfect) it just not realistic... particularly disappointing as Mike Gayle's characters are usually so true to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Mike Gayle Fan!, 2 July 2006
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
I have never read any of Mike Gayle's books before and was attracted to the original subject matter having a male best friend myself. Knowing what predictaments we have come across in real life, I had high standards for this book to meet. I thought it can't possibly be realistic. I bet they end up falling in love with a cheesy ending. How wrong was I. This book is superb. I am making everyone I know read it, including my best friend , and I am off to buy some more of Mike Gayle's books right now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good light-hearted read, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
This was my first exposure to Mike Gayle's work and I was pretty impressed. The idea was very interesting.

I think most people should be able to relate to Rob's predicament and will enjoy reading about his unique method for dealing with the issue of making new friends in a new town. I thought this was nicely paced and it kept me interested at all times. A few soap-opera style moments but nonetheless a good enjoyable read with some good comedy moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly funny!, 28 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
Mike Gayle's new novel is ,as usual, absolutely brilliant! Once you've started it, you can't let it down. I've read it in less than three days and it was compulsive reading too! I couldn't wait to get to the end of it. It's well written, the dialogues are great and I do wonder how he does it but he really hits the point all the time. Who has never experienced such a thing? Well, if you've been there, then that book is just for you. Awesome!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars mikes best book yet!!!!!!!!, 15 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Brand New Friend (Paperback)
can mike gayle do no wrong????
i read this book in one whole day!!!
i could not and would not put it down, it was fab, mike gayle is soo under rated, anyone who is contemplating buying this book, go now!!! it wont change your life, but it'll make u laugh, smile and maybe shed a few tears.
i'm just sorry it ended

Brand New Friend
Brand New Friend by Mike Gayle (Paperback - 22 May 2006)