5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly enjoyable
I was expecting to hate this book. I forced myself to try it because people had gone on about it so much, but I really didn't like the descriptions I'd heard: 500-plus pages, visions of a dystopian future, a fractured timescale with six loosely-linked narratives each nested within the previous one, and so on and so on. It just reeked to me of a self-regarding author...
Published on 28 April 2010 by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably a bit of a Marmite book.
I received this book from somebody as part of the World Book Night 2011 project so I thought I'd give it a go.

I have just finished Cloud Atlas after taking it with me on holiday. To be honest I did not enjoy most of it. Indeed after 2 chapters I very nearly gave up on the book.

The novel is essentially six short stories with a tenuous and at best...
Published on 22 April 2011 by D. Ho

‹ Previous | 154 55 56 57 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing read, 13 Mar 2006
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
The basic idea of the book is interesting, 6 short stories all linked together. In the first half of the book we have the first half of each story and the second half of the book contains the conclusions. Each story is written in a different style at a different point in time. However, although some of the stories were quite engaging, by the time I came to read the conclusion of each story, particullarly the first couple of stories that are conluded last, I'd forgotten most of the plot and who the main character were. Additionally, I was expecting a much better ending and I was frankly disappointed. While the author shows off his great skill at being able to switch effortlessly between styles, I found this a book too easy to put down and as a result struggled to finish it.

1.0 out of 5 stars tedious, 31 Mar 2010
Mrs Lofts "Polly" (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
Boring pretentious unreadable A book should be a pleasure to read. This is nonsense.

1.0 out of 5 stars I simply didn't understand anything about this book..., 31 Aug 2009
R. Leigh - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
Maybe I'm not smart enough, but I really didn't understand anything about this book. Like many others here, I was seduced by the glowing praise on the cover, but the whole experience left me feeling cross, nay, hoodwinked. Is this really a riveting read, or are all the reviewers simply not brave enough to say, hang on, this book is nonsense?

I stuck at it until page 200. Maybe it's pages 201+ that are the good ones, but I remain entirely sceptical.

5.0 out of 5 stars A writer of magnificent quality, 31 Dec 2004
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading other reviews here, because it sounded fascinating. I wasn't disappointed. I was glad I'd read the reviews because the first chapter ended mid-sentence; even then, the change of narrator threw me at first.
I gave up with the middle chapter, although I appreciated its quality and the writer's skill. Every chapter was well crafted and reminded me of other examples of type - for example the first chapter reminded me of the excellent "English Passengers" (Matthew Kneale) while the Somni chapters reminded me of William Gibson and what I read of the Sloosha chapter, to some extent, reminded me of the True History of the Kelly Gang. My favourite chapters were the Robert Frobisher letters and the Timothy Cavendish story (was it me, or did this have something of Roald Dahl about it?).
The dexterity with which the author controls the interleaving stories, and the way each narrative voice seizes attention was very convincing. A magnficent book and talent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Videos didn't open on the iPad Kindle app. Returned it., 4 Nov 2013
The videos and other enhancements didn't open on the iPad Kindle app. Returned it and got my money back. Disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really difficult to get into, 10 July 2006
Cee-Gee (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
Mitchell had a good idea: write the stories of six people who are somehow linked. So far, so good, but from there it just goes down hill. Mitchell tells the first half of five stories, the whole sixth and then the second half of the other five. He also writes in the style of the person whose story is being told, which makes the narrative quite difficult to get into at times. The first couple of stories were pretty boring, and I really had to force myself to continue. I really did enjoy the two stories set in the future, but when it got back to the past again, the stories were just dull.

And the superficial link between the people is not explained, I was just left wondering: why?

2.0 out of 5 stars Cloud Atlas David Mitchell, 2 Jun 2005
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
Sloosha's Crossing was too difficult to read because not in Standard English; I missed some points because I was preoccupied with piecing together the meaning.
Some of the stories - the sea journal, Letters from Zedelghem and Timothy Cavendish contained real narrative and suspense. Orison of Sonmi was impossible. Why the Japanese names with no connection to what comes before and after? Why was this so long? This section needed only to be a taster. Putting it in was an insult to the reader whose loyalty had so far been maintained. Then Sloosha's Crossing just added insult to injury. An abridgement, leaving out all of the central three books would be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it, 12 Jan 2006
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
I found this book inpossible to read and must have restarted it five times because I really did want to like it but I didn't. Give it a go if you want but it is not for the faint-readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
This book is very hard to get into. Not for a younger reader. I'm 20 and struggled to understand the story at the start let alone the long hard words. Not finished this book because of these reasons. Waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Best read on kindle so dictionary handy, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't get into it - too many unusual words slowed down the process for me as I had to keep looking them up so no chance of losing myself in the story.

‹ Previous | 154 55 56 57 | Next ›

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Paperback - 2004)
6.29