5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended - a funny book.
Goodnight Steve McQueen asks how far should you follow your dreams. In this case the dream involves rock stardom - a situation that Louise has personal experience of, from her time fronting the UK band Sleeper.
Published on 4 Sept. 2002 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth It?
"GOODNIGHT STEVE McQUEEN" - Louise Wener

If you were born between about 1970 and 1980, then sometime in the mid 90's, you probably either wanted to be, or to shag, the author of this book. Since the demise of Britpop's underdogs Sleeper, Louise Wener seemingly disappeared from view. Instead of giving up and going back to the day job, she instead forged ahead...
Published on 17 Oct. 2010 by Mr. M. A. Reed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended - a funny book., 4 Sept. 2002
The characters are well defined and you feel for them throughout the story, which is by turns funny/sad/funny. As many reviewers have said, this book will make you laugh out loud.
Goodnight Steve McQueen has also been described as a very "warm" book, which I also think is true. It certainly left me with a good feeling. Danny McQueen is the main character, but I particularly liked Vince, his acerbic band mate, who is obsessed with Kevin Rowland from Dexy's Midnight Runners.
I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars London's indie scene, warmly reflected in Wener's rye mirror, 14 Aug. 2006
N. R. Watts "Nigel Watts" (Thames nr Reading) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
I had my trepidations about picking up a book about an indie band, written by the lead singer of a successful band. But it was not what I feared i.e. a series of smug music industry in jokes. Instead this a laugh out load take on twenty-something life in the new millennia. Louise Wener set herself a difficult task, writing a racy novel in the male voice. But whoever coached her in the ways of the males mind did a great job.

A smart, sophisticated pager tuner. Nick Hornby meets Douglas Coupland with a sassy, sexy London feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent tale of curly fries and transitional shoes, 12 Aug. 2003
James Faux "jacf7" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
Being a cynic, I have to be honest and say that I probably intended to be harsher in my review of this book that I normally would, given it is from a former singer-turned-author. You tend to think that her previous fame was somewhat contributory to her book deal.
However, being fair, I have to say that it is an excellent book, amusing and wry, and very well written indeed. Wener has obviously made many observations during her life as a singer in a rock band, which she exploits effectively as you would expect, but it is her more general observatuions about life that ring true and give the novel texture and depth.
As a female writing a "bloke-lit" novel, her perspective gives her characters balance and poise, and each and every character has something to offer the story, even the minor ones. Additionally, her female characters are also strong, something that not all authors in this genre achieve - Tony Parsons take note.
In all, a very good story, genuinely very amusing in many places, with some very funny themes (transitional shoes, curly fries and "learning for yourself"). Wener has a good grasp of what life at 30 involves, for males and females, and brings out the humour in such situations. An excellent debut, and this bodes well for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book with heart and humour, 1 Aug. 2002
By A Customer
I bought this because I used to like Sleeper and Louise Wener always used to have interesting things to say. I was in no way prepared for her to be able to write so beautifully and be so funny. This is a really warm book which will make you laugh out loud. I totally loved Danny McQueen and identified with everything he goes through in the book. You are gripped until the end, desperate for things to work out for Danny and Alison. I even brimmed up with the tears when this thing at the end happens.
I'm so used to being disappointed by books but this was the opposite: I was blown away.

5.0 out of 5 stars A female Nick Hornby?, 14 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
I only picked up this book on an off-chance, and having been familiar with Wener's music I thought it worth a try.
Having taken in the first chapters I was already hooked by the storyline that many of us can relate to (although perhaps not necessarily in the music business). Wener's portrayal of male perceptions and habits in Danny, Matty and Vince is incredibly accurate, as we witness Danny's ultimate dilemma of "Get a recording contract in 6 months or get a new girlfriend".
The back cover lists many rave reviews, one of which suggests that Wener is in the same league as Nick Hornby. For me, it's better than that. Better than High Fidelity, and laugh-out-loud funny.
Can't wait for the follow-up novel...

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
I have been reading a number of first novels recently and decided to read Louise Wener’s debut, “Goodnight, Steve McQueen” even though it dates back to 2002. I am so glad that I did; I think I enjoyed it more than any other novel I’ve read over the past year.

The quality of the writing is outstanding, and Wener skilfully creates a really entertaining set of characters with distinctive voices. She writes in the first person through the eyes of Danny McQueen, a 29 year old who has spent his life dreaming of rock stardom. He is given an ultimatum by his long-suffering girlfriend; make something of his life by the end of the year or find a new girlfriend.

The novel has been compared to Nick Hornby’s “High Fidelity” and to my mind that’s a reasonable parallel. Wener has a similar ear for both for dialogue and for comedy, and I read the book in virtually a single sitting with a huge grin on my face.

I particularly liked Wener’s minor characters, such as Danny’s bandmate Vince and his obsessions with Kevin Rowland and finding the perfect transitional shoe. Matty the drummer is another beautifully observed portrait, painfully accurate and stopping just short of caricature.

In reading various reviews of the book I was astonished by the amount of bile and bitterness aimed at Wener, which on the strength of this debut seems completely unfair. Even the endorsement section at the front of the paperback edition starts with a quote from The Scotsman “She can actually write”, which is pretty demeaning. If anyone wants proof of the power of her writing they should read “What’s wrong with being a mother?” a piece that she wrote for The Guardian in 2006 which moved me to tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars enrich your life - buy this book, 3 Sept. 2003
GrinninRockLoon "Ladies, please form an order... (the real world, feet firmly on the ground) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
I'd pretty much given up on modern fiction. Everything I'd tried over the last decade was either clumsily implausible, lacking a story, verbosely over-written or a combination of all three. I bought 'Goodnight...' out of curiosity having been familiar with Sleeper's music. Its wonderful, I picked it up and couldn't put it down. The story rattles along, wrapping the reader right into Danny's world and its virtually impossible to pull oneself out and stop reading. My two hour train journey passed in a flash. Louise Wener is a terrific storyteller. This book is the most entertaining read I've had since I can't remember when. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable book, 29 July 2009
Rebecca Hammond (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
The book goodnight steve mqueen is definatly one of the best books i have ever read has very good plots and storylines. It has a very unusual story as it is about a wannabe indie band, they are in need of a lift up and need to find a record deal in 6 months can it be done...... steve mcqueen is about to find it. very absourbant, a must read, pick it up if u ever see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's a good girl, 5 Dec. 2003
R. Chant (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and, yes, it really reminded me of Sleeper's work. Vivid identifiable characters, brought to life convincingly and with pathos in spite of their faults. Ok, not the most profound novel you're ever going to read, but one that leaves you with a warm glow and that is a pleasure to read - the words often seem to sing to you from the page.
It's pop's loss but I think Louise Wener has made a good career move, and I'm looking forward to reading her second novel. Now, whatever happened to Sonia from Echobelly?

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop princess turned novelist, 10 July 2003
This review is from: Goodnight Steve McQueen (Paperback)
From start to finish Goodnight Steve McQueen entertains with it's irony and laddish humour. I was shocked at how well Louise Wener adopts the male voice with such ease.
Danny McQueen is given an ultimatum by his girlfriend, find a record deal with his band Dakota or get a real job.
With this ultimatum, Danny and the band take to the road, after blagging their way onto a tour with a band whose lead singer used to taunt Danny as a boy, with a converted kebab van carrying their gear.
Add to this the serene, quaint 80 year old Sheila, who just happens to be a martial arts fanatic, and you're bound to be in for an interesting read.
Well, I for one (being a great fan) am happy that Sleeper split up. Long may she write fiction

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Goodnight Steve McQueen
Goodnight Steve McQueen by Louise Wener (Paperback - 28 April 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01