5.0 out of 5 stars a great little business energiser!
Published on 7 Nov 2002 by Alison McGregor

1.0 out of 5 stars "Give me an F ! Give me a U !......" (respect CJM)
In short, if this book is eulogised as a great US business read, then Gawd help the rest of the world.
It refers to David Whyte poetry (surely the most profound author and poet on the planet) so I tried to be positive, I really did - and I found it to be American trite.
Published on 24 July 2002 by Dr. P. C. Burr

5.0 out of 5 stars a great little business energiser!, 7 Nov 2002
Alison McGregor (Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results (Paperback)
This is a great little book that took me only an hour to read. Following in the mould of the likes of 'one minute manager' it is accessible and concentrates on a limited and manageble set of ideas about how to put more energy in to the workplace. The 'story' can seem a bit 'American cheesy' at times, but it is useful to illustrate the practical application in a realistic way. This is not just a 'what you should do is....' book, but a realistic illustration of how the ideas could work in any workplace doing any kind of work, and at any level in a company!! I also enjoyed reading it - it made me smile. I felt more energised about my approach to my work, and anything that can do that has got to be worth an hour of my time. The book contains 3 simple ideas and illustrates how to apply them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fishmongers teach us a thing or two, 18 Jun 2003
Emma Sutton (Huddersfield, West Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is a little gem. It is quick to read (one hour), contains very simple messages & yet has the power to turn businesses around.
It is a story about a manager in a department that is struggling with low energy, low morale and a poor reputation. One lunchtime she watches some fishmongers do something extraordinary - have fun, create amazing energy and enthusiasm and inspire others (they have spectators!).
The fishmongers distil their magic into four principles:
(i) Play - a light-hearted attitude and having fun in the workplace can make work an enjoyable experience (shock, horror for those who think work is a four letter word).
(ii) Make Someone's Day - creating a Wow! factor for your customers, going that little bit further than your competitors: it makes you memorable and keeps them coming back
(iii) Choose your Attitude - if you are at work 40hours+ a week, why not have fun, be positive and enjoy it?
(iv) Be Present - when someone is talking to you, don't email, think of other things, really concentrate on them, make a connection - people notice and it counts.
Are these the answers to your morale, high sickness or high turnover problems? Possibly. For one hour and a few quid's investment, isn't it worth finding out?
What I loved was the additional information in the follow-up book (Fish Tales) that show real people and real businesses (from nurses, to call centres, to car salesmen and roofers) using the FISH! principles and creating wonderful places to work (for them and their customers). Maybe a year on you'll want to get Fish Sticks to learn how to keep the momentum going once the initial buzz has worn off.
What I learnt was if they can, I can use this to bring new life and energy into my business and those I work with. Great stuff: inspiring, yet simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth an hour of anyone's time, 27 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This is a good (if slightly cheesey in places - or should that be plaices?) read with some sound messages. OK, so the points are not exactly new, but you cann't have too much of a good message. It effectively describes the points it is trying to make. Problem is, if you are the type of person who reads this kind of book, you'll love it but probably benefit less than those who do not, and would hate it! My advice; it'll only take an hour or so of your time to read - so go on - you owe it to yourself. But before you start it, choose to be open to believing the message...
Alternatively, if you have a friend who is always moaning about how dull their work is, do them a favour and buy them this instead of another glass of wine. It might just make their day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter than the average book, 5 Dec 2003
This is one of those storytelling books in which the idea is for the reader to learn some really useful stuff without getting hung up on the learning because they are so engrossed in the story.
And it sure does work.
Everyone who has read "Fish!" knows the lessons the book is teaching at the conscious level, because they are written down in black and white.
What no one has commented on in a review, so far as I can see, is that the story is an incredibly succinct introduction to the whole subject of emotional intelligence - recognising your own emotions and other people's, motivation, leadership, you name it and it's in there.
In my opinion this is nothing short of a masterpiece.
Get it and judge for yourself that I'm right.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Give me an F ! Give me a U !......" (respect CJM), 24 July 2002
Dr. P. C. Burr "Doctapaul" (Hove, Ascot and Newcastle) - See all my reviews
The issue might be cultural..... it may well be the antidote to middle America's corporate crises in the hiearchy - and if this is their for recipe for "wholeheartedness" - yuk.
It's a typical US business tale... downtrodden hero-to-be gets new management job, things start bad, and they get worse. Then the hero, meets a guardian angel and gives everyone the angel's 4 axioms to the secret of turning downsized, rengineered processes into fun and frolics - yee hah! Wang dang doodle.
What about soul? What about self esteem? What about fear? What about accountability? What about relationships? What about individuality? What about authenticity? What about Trust?
My fear is that this book will give senior executives, the middle management "fix" they've been looking for, so that they can sit on their backsides and do nothing differently?
Beforehand, coincidentally, I'd just read the sublime Crossing the Unknown Sea by David Whyte. If you're seeking passion and creativity - read all his works, first.
I'd love to read reviews from continental Europeans. If anyone outside the US applies Fish's principles and makes them work, I'd love to learn how I'm wrong. In the meantime, I'm staying strictly vegetarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Choice is Yours, 20 Jun 2008
Susan Donlon - See all my reviews
In a simple easy to read story "Fish" is about igniting passion into your work environment that can spill over into all aspects of your life. The "Fish Philosophy" is based on a few simple ideas that can transform your daily grind of a nine to five workday into an enriching, easy and yes, even a fun time at the office.

I work at a large financial firm and currently am heading a team that is focused on creating a new work procedure that has never been applied in our office previously. The creative start up process can be challenging but the team we have assembled for the work is up to the challenge and eager to be a part of something that will have an impact on the firm overall. I am so glad I read "Fish" in that I can share with my team the insights I've learned so that our work together can be productive, successful and yes here it is again...fun.

If you found "Fish" to be inspiring and enlightening, I highly recommend reading any of Ariel and Shya Kane's books called "Being Here: Modern Day Tales of Enlightenment", "Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: A Book About Instantaneous Transformation" or "How To Create a Magical Relationship." All of the Kane's books impart insights and ways into living a life that is meaningful, satisfying and joyful.

Working in a place where you smile often...how cool is that? Can you imagine living a life where you smile often? It's definitely possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars great principles if you look beyond the corn, 21 Oct 2003
Larry Hehn "Christian in the Rough" (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
The first principle we learn in Fish! is Choose Your Attitude. How appropriate, since what you get from this book completely depends on the attitude you choose when reading it.
The four principles of Choose Your Attitude, Play, Make Their Day, and Be Present are solid and have been proven at the real life Pike Place Fish in Seattle (the video is magnificent). No one can poke holes in the validity of these ideas. If you are looking to simply glean some excellent ways to help you love the work you do, then this book is for you.
However, it may be difficult to swallow the story that is used to illustrate these principles. If you approach this book with a skeptical eye, you may be disappointed. The fictional team in this story seems to come together and open their hearts to each other much too quickly and easily. For me, the corny factor dropped Fish! from five stars down to four.
My advice? Get this book anyway. Choose your attitude. Look beyond the corny facets to find and apply the valuable nuggets. They are there.
Larry Hehn, Author of Get the Prize: Nine Keys for a Life of Victory

5.0 out of 5 stars Every leader should read this and implement the ideas NOW!!!, 11 Oct 2001
Paul Shrimpling (Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this in less than 90 minutes and laughed and cried my way through it. Inspiring simplicity, as with all the one minute management series, has me chomping at the bit to make my business better based on the results achieved at the world famous fish market!
Buy one and I bet you'll buy more for your team!I have. You'll experience the impact of choosing, playing, being present and making people's day. Go on make your day and treat yourself to an inspirational read.
Paul.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fish...misleading title, 8 May 2004
Must read book for those who wish to escape the drudgery of every normal working life. I work for the Spirit group, and a part of their trainig module was to read this book, and really opened my eyes. It shows that work doesn't necessarily have to be chore. I give the thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fish - the video and now book, 1 May 2008
Karl Grocock (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
For those that have seen the video the book will not add anything. However for managers to re-visit some of their core beliefs about why they manage and what they want to achieve this book is a good refresher.
Simple easy one night read - and then pass it on.

Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results by John Christensen (Paperback - 5 Sep 2002)
6.95