4.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel...
Published on 22 Dec 2003 by LurkingFear

3.0 out of 5 stars What went wrong?
First off, let me say I am a fan of Simon Clark. I thought the 1st novel, set in and around Leppington, was one of the best vampire novels to be written since Salem's Lot and I am Legend.
Published on 23 Nov 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel..., 22 Dec 2003
This review is from: Vampyrrhic Rites (Paperback)
To an even better book. I read Vamphyrric over 2 years ago. I hadn't read any Simon Clark before that or even heard of him and that book was a real fright fest for me. I absolutely loved it! Vamphyrric Rites doesn't fail to dissapoint either. It is a very very good book by itself. You don't have to have read the original before you read this but if you do it will definitely help especiallly at the beginning when you don't know everything about the characters. The only dissapointment with this book was the lack of development with the character Bernice Mochardi... Considering that she was one of the original characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Sequel, 26 Sep 2003
This review is from: Vampyrrhic Rites (Paperback)
Vampyrrhic is one of my favorite books, and I looked forward to its sequel with a bit of trepidation--would it be as engaging as the original? I'm happy to say that it is. And better, one does not have to read the original (though they should) in order to enjoy Vampyrrhic Rites.
Simon Clark brings back old characters, some surprising, and mixes them with a new cast. Once again, characters are believable, though not always likeable. And, as in the best Clark books, once the story takes off it hooks you and doesn't let go. Another gem from a master of horror fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric horror, 20 Mar 2011
This review is from: Vampyrrhic Rites (Paperback)
A truly scary read. Well written with excellent characterization. The tension builds and builds; you really feel you're there battling alongside the characters. Wonderfully atmospheric. Read it with the doors locked and the light on!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book With Bite!, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Vampyrrhic Rites (Hardcover)
I picked this book up 5 year's ago at a WHSmith store when I found myself without a book on a collage day trip and jumped right into it. I spent most of the trip reading the book, having been sucked into it within the first few pages.

It's dark, twisted and very mysterious. the author paint's a vivid picture with his word's and you end up drawn into the story whether you wont to be or not. the charter's are all different and intriguing and it wasn't until half way threw the book that you realise that it follows on from the first book Vampyrrhic.

I recently got the first one and will be ploughing my way threw it having finally tracked down a copy.

its a nice, creepy, horror filled book that leaves the reader shivering but grateful to be alive by the end of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 29 Jan 2009
Alexandre Hadade "xander" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vampyrrhic Rites (Paperback)
I discovered the author with the first part of this story : Vampyrrhic.

His way of revisting vampire atmosphere is clever and attractive. He made his own space in such a popular area of fantastic literature. far away from commercial topics we usually have been served since Rice.

Bright, quite dark in each caracter's features, full of emotions, quite frightening. I had been drawn by the story which merge ancient myth in a modern local village of england : Leppington

I read the first book in french. this one in english. both approaches pleased me.
take your time to read those books. they are real travel-like vouchers.

enjoy !
a french-loving-english-literature-reader

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZINGLY BRILLO PADS, 4 Jan 2004
This review is from: Vampyrrhic Rites (Hardcover)
I'm dislxic, so to get into any book take's a great effort for me, but i love Vampire story's and this is one hell of a ride kiddie's, the start of the book was achelly intresting, a few page's in thow i put it down, i waited three day's, one night i couldn't sleep so i begain to read, and my god i was just a page away from not being abel to put it down, you really get into it, it draw's you in just like the lake it's self, it's paced well and the story evolves well, i aint giveing anything away thow.
I'll be byeing the first book, i loved the manager thow, Electra Charnwood, she's my fav charter, she's intresting, strong minded and a littel twisted, just like myself, it's really an amazing read, and the creachers of the night are like nothing you've hurd of befor, so dont read this book in the dark, it wills caer the begibers outta ya. \/\/ happy hunting\/\/

3.0 out of 5 stars What went wrong?, 23 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Vampyrrhic Rites (Paperback)
However, Simon here seems not to know what to do with some of his cast. Bernice's charachter, for example, is simply wasted, doing pretty much nothing throughout the whole of the book until the - wait for it - climactic battle. And the vampires (well, most of them) simply dissolve/waste away when all (for them) is lost. Quite handy that - kill the leader and they all simply can't be bothered to take over the world.
On the plus side, Clark is writing more stories set in the same universe. Better luck next time.

ARRAY(0xbab55c48)

Vampyrrhic Rites
Vampyrrhic Rites by Simon Clark (Hardcover - 7 July 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01