on 27 September 2004
I would recommended this book as a comprehensive and powerful look at how nurses can help people with a large variety of problems relating to their mental health. By examining these problems from the perspective of nursing as a 'craft' it gives a more holistic perspective to bring out the person behind the problem. This is certainly in contast to many other nursing textbooks that focus primarily on the biopsychosocial model.
As a mental health nurse/ nursing student, it may not be the only textbook you buy, but I would certainly advise it be one of them.
on 5 December 2005
I always hesitate to look at a new Barker book in the shops, as I am inevitably drawn to purchase. This was one of those fateful journeys.
Since then I have used the book to prepare lectures, to inspire students and to show service users some of the advances coming in mental health care.
on 21 March 2005
I found that this book was informative and interesting. Having just completed my nursing training I was inspired by this book and its alternative slant on the world of psychiatry. I also felt that it was clearly written and would make an a wonderful addition to any reading list!
on 19 October 2003
I have often bemoaned the lack of up to date material for pre registration mental health nurses and how our American colleagues seem to be way ahead of us in terms of the art and craft of mental health and psychiatric nursing.
Phil Barker makes a welcome step change in this process. The book covers the width berth of the discipline that every student nurse will come across in practice.
As their have been many welcome changes in Government policy towards mental health including the ground breaking National Service Framework for Mental Health, Barker covers these policy changes in depth and brings welcome clarity and freshness to these polices and how they affect patient care and affect the practice of all mental health nurses.
The Book generally leans towards the Humanistic model of care exposed by Carl Rogers and Hildergard Peplau but does cover the other major theoritical models.
Overall probably the most accessable of all current text on mental health and psychiatric nursing currently on the market for pre-registration nurses working and studying in this excting field.
on 28 April 2008
this is a very comprehensive text-a must have for any student or nurse
I find it reassuring that my dissertation supervisor also has a copy in his office!
on 9 February 2004
This is comprehensive and up to date text. Particularly it is of value as providing a UK perspective, whilst many of the major texts are US oriented.
Unfortunately the work is blighted by Barker's personal politics which tend to colour the material with an anti-psychiatry, anti-inpatient slant.
A potentially useful text, but it can only be recommended for more experienced readers who will be able to set it in context.
Hopefully a book of equal quality, without the bias, will emerge shortly to assist the pre-registration student.