5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - highly recommended
My six year old daughter loves this book and wants me to read it to her every night as her bedtime story. Fantastic clever imaginative story with characters that are already familiar from fairytales and wonderful illustrations. Children certainly don't mind that the author used characters from other stories in this one - on the contrary they enjoy pointing it out.
Published on 14 Mar. 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars Very weak story.
This book is awful. Impossible to follow and just an absolute muddle. The story is very very weak and has been played out many times before.

Unfortunately just another author cashing in on success without putting any thought into anything really.

Fail
Published 18 months ago by PCorm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - highly recommended, 14 Mar. 2006
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect To Read Together, 11 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? (Paperback)
The illustrations are so demanding of attention in this book that you will NOT be allowed to read it to a child from a position where the child can't see. It is a book to explore and discover together - the fold out pages, the jokes in the pictures, the use of different media to create those pictures, all wholly alluring in true Lauren Childs fashion.

Also, at least in our home, you won't be allowed to read it in a straightforward fashion - you HAVE to DO the VOICES as my four year old puts it!! And it's all worth it...

It's just what you would expect from a Lauren Childs book - but as what you expect is a dash of creativity, a spark of originality, a shot of genius and a healthy dollop of good fun, that's no criticism!

A favourite in our house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Book?, 21 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? (Paperback)
I simply love this book. I am a teacher in training and have chosen this book to reveiw as one of my essay questions. I feel that the illustrations are wonderful and have never seen a book quite like it before. So much to write on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another hit with the children, 11 Mar. 2008
K. Polley "Exhausted" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? (Paperback)
We bought Beware of the Storybook Wolves and it was an instant hit. The children were just as taken with this one, although I found the characters' "voices" less convincing than I had with the first book. Mind you, it's still being requested at bedtime over a year since purchasing it, so it can't be bad, and let's face it, I've not yet refused to read it so all in all, a big thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lauren Child is a genius!!!, 27 Mar. 2008
Mrs. S. M. Warren-harris (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? (Paperback)
The women is a genius, and is truly the best children's author alive today! Next to Roald Dahl, I myself find all of her books exceptional. My daighter is nearly 3 and I have been reading these stories to her for a while, and she absolutely loves them. From a parents point of view, I can't get enough of reading them. I would reccommend these to children of all ages, and parents too!

5.0 out of 5 stars great for 6 year olds, 8 Nov. 2009
J. Blair (UK) - See all my reviews
My twins loved this book and did not stop laughing the whole time it was read! They still laughed for the next 15 times I read the book. This is a real winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hilarious offering from Lauren Child, 19 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? (Paperback)
My children insisted on buying this book to add to their fast growing library of Lauren Child's work. All the anarchic hilarity and wonderful artwork we have come to expect is here, in a wonderful story of a child entering a world of muddled fairy tales.
I have to say that from an adult point of view, the book is, perhaps, a little too similar to some of her earlier work, particularly Beware of Story Book Wolves. Some of this is deliberate - the Little Wolf appears, still dressed for Cinderella's ball. But overall, we found this title perhaps less original. If this had been our first Lauren Child book, we would probably have been more unreservedly charmed.
The children, however, love it, which is the important thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing!, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? (Paperback)
A brilliantly displayed book with which we taught our classes to write topsy turvy fairy stories.
Their end products were displayed in a similar manner to this...and we're of high standard. It's an inspiring book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 4 Feb. 2014
This is a clever book that as parents we enjoyed reading to our three year old! While she is not yet familiar with some of the fairy tales that thread through the book she loved the fact that some of the writing is backwards and upside down and that there were holes in some of the pages! She may appreciate more when she is older but for now we are delighted with something new and fresh to choose for our bed time story!!! We got worried when we knew the words of Pollys pink pajamas!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 28 Feb. 2013
julietrevel (Great Barr, Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? (Paperback)
What a great book - my 4 year old really loves looking through this on her own as well as when we read it to her - with so many familiar characters such as Goldilocks and Cinderella (two of her favourite) with a completely different spin on them - it has also taught her that it is not a good idea to neglect her books as all sorts of things could happen!

I shall definately be buying the other book in this series - second hand again as they are great value for money!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?
Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book? by Lauren Child (Paperback - 17 July 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01