5.0 out of 5 stars Meaningful Spiritual Guidance for Today's Troubled Times
Sometimes adding a new spiritual perspective can help deepen one's understanding of one's own spiritual tradition and beliefs. Certainly, that was my experience in reading this heart-warming book.
Published on 6 May 2004 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet hard to follow
Published on 3 April 2003 by Mavikaya

5.0 out of 5 stars Meaningful Spiritual Guidance for Today's Troubled Times, 6 May 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The book is structured into a series of brief essays, based on three days of teaching that the Dalai Lama did in New York City during 1999. The essays separated in time and space some very profound thoughts, in ways that made them easier to grasp. This is a book that you will want to reread many times, especially when you find your mind troubled or your compassion at a low ebb.
The Dalai Lama expresses a timeless Buddhist perspective here, but in an inclusive way. "We are all the same, mentally and emotionally." Our other differences are minor, and unimportant.
In thinking about the current war on terrorism, I was struck by his observation that "In harming our enemy, we are harmed." "Dialogue is the only appropriate method [for resolving disputes]." What harm are we doing now in this war to innocent people, to ourselves, to unborn generations, and to the environment of the world we inhabit?
The Dalai Lama explains that "In Buddhism compassion is . . . the wish that all beings be free of their suffering." Interestingly, he points out that "If we have a positive mental attitude, then even when surrounded by hostility, we shall not lack inner peace." Have we looked enough within in mentally and physically responding to the attacks of September 11th?
The book contains many worthy thoughts about how to create a "better balance between material preoccupations and inner spiritual growth."
An Open Heart will probably be most meaningful to those who are very interested in spiritual questions (of whatever religious persuasion or philosophy) and who pray or meditate regularly. If you are externally oriented, you may not find that the words and thoughts resonate within you.
As a person who prays and meditates several times a day, I found his expressions of ways to improve the benefits of conscious (or analytical) meditation and settled meditation very interesting and helpful. I especially liked his invocation for how to be more humble. "We can always find some quality in someone else where we are outshone." And "reflect upon the kindness of others" upon which we all depend. He advises beginning with strangers as a conscious object of compassionate meditation, so that we can strengthen our empathy with those we feel most distant towards. As we get better at this empathizing, we can move on to building compassion for those we dislike or fear.
I was pleased to see that we are encouraged to practice the right things, and to focus away from the speed of our progress.
Whether or not you agree with the concept of reincarnation as expressed here, this book can certainly help guide you to greater spiritual peace, more ethical actions, and achieving greater wisdom. I found it particularly freeing and fulfilling to think about creating a life dedicated to "the sake of all sentient beings" as part of my focus.
May your heart, mind, and spirit constantly grow in openness and caring!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and uplifting book, 1 May 2013
This review is from: An Open Heart: Practising Compassion in Everyday Life (Paperback)
I have recently finished this book and it was such a breath of fresh air. I found it very easy to read and very helpful putting many of my own troubles into perspective.

The Dalai Lama obviously has a very powerful mind and breathes positivity into what at times is a very negative world. I am not religious but I shall be reading all of his books as they are very interesting regardless of a persons peruasion in my opinion.

I would urge anyone to read this wonderful book. It will alter the way one sees the world for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book can change your life, 13 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
This book makes simple and readable the very compicated and for most of us abstruse teachings of Buddhism.It tells very simply how to meditate.
The opening words, that were spoken to the Dalai Lama in Central Park, New York, a couple of years ago, are so personal and informal that he seems to be speaking directly to you as you read it.
Reading on, you get caught up in the beauty of this life that he is offering you, with true compassion, patience and love for all human baings starting with oneself.
It's a book that can change your life

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet hard to follow, 3 April 2003
When I read on the backcover that the Dalai Lama would explain what meditation was and how to do it, I bought the book immediately. The first few chapters I devored. But after a while, I must admit I got confused with all the buddhist concepts.I had no prior notion of Buddhism and although the Dalai Lama is trying to simplify notions, this is definitely a book I will have to read more than one time to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 18 April 2013
Bought this for my husband and he loves it. Interesting read. How to enjoy life without being materialistic. Recommend reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab book, 18 April 2013
I love this book ,makes me feel calm reading it, I love the quotes by the dalai lama.would recommend this book its very uplifting

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug. 2014
love this man can read and love everything he says or writes

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dalai Lama is no farmer., 7 July 2006
David Langley "enigma" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
Quote from book - "We can think of our society as a body, with arms, and legs as parts of it. Of course the arm is different from the leg, however, if something happens to the foot, the hand should reach down to help. Similarly, when something is wrong within our society, we must help. Why? Because it is part of the body, it is part of us"

The spiritual and political leader of Tibet, The Dalai Lama, has written a book based on Buddhist concepts and how to apply them to daily life, because of the prestigious nature of this man its hard to comment on this book, but one will try anyway.

Lets start by saying The Dalai Lama knows what he is talking about, and has many years of experience under his belt, so from that point of view this book is an excellent look at the basics of Buddhism, but more so on the practical aspect of its teachings. The Dalai Lama's personal experiences are a good touch to this book and you get to have an insight into how nice the guy is, which is always nice to have.

The Dalai Lama writes with a lot of wisdom, and the book is a good take on the way we should think sometimes. However unfortunately the book is a bit droll in places, so the readers' attention is that of a hyperactive child at times.

The Dalai Lama is a great man and any of his work should touch peoples' hearts and at times this book will, he has gained a Nobel Peace Prize and that wasn't for nothing, neither was this book written for nothing. If you like the man, you will like all 189 pages of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 7 Oct. 2011
D. Gregory (UK) - See all my reviews
An easy book to read-it depends on your perspective of life too-if you are a positive person, it'll confirm what you believe.

An Open Heart: Practising Compassion in Everyday Life
An Open Heart: Practising Compassion in Everyday Life by Dalai Lama (Paperback - 5 Sept. 2002)