on 26 February 2004
It has taken a lot of time and money to find the book that would help grow my understanding in the stock market, investment trusts and the like...and I have finally found it. Alvin, in his true light-hearted way, introduces the subjects well and more importantly uses simple examples to demonstrate how each concept works. From definitions of Cyclical Stocks to Price Earnings ratios to PEGs to Unit Trusts, this book covers all the basics and gets you to a stage where you feel you can pick up a Financial Times or an Investment magazine and actually understand how to read the detail.
It has certainly given me cause to go out there and try my hand at the stock market, and indeed I am now starting to understand the other books that I have previously bought which initially were too mind boggling to understand.
Thanks Alvin for taking the time to write a book that explains the subject in plain English. I look forward to any future publications you may write on the subject.
on 28 December 2001
This is my third book about understanding the stock market and shares and I wish this was my first!
Very easy to read as Alvin comfortably slides along an annedote to each market component, how they function and most importantly, how to use them and real options.
There in nothing complicated in his lessons over a coffee and an incidentatal chat about unit trust, its pros, cons and so on. He allows you the space to think about what is right for individual needs. You feel confident in the backbone of knowledge he outlines in simple and tidy speach.
on 12 February 2006
Alvin really simplifies the world of finance to the layman which is the aim of this book.
This is not based on any self help or “fake belief” but moreover emphasises that the stock market should be used as a realistic long term investment for your capital. This also doesn’t loose sight of the fact that your investments can decrease in value overnight, or over a long period of time. But how can you stop this? Alvin also states the best ways you can make money on the market is by good planning, knowing the area of the market you want to invest, and also having at the beginning at least some experience of what you chosen sector of the market entails and more importantly some interest in your chosen sector. Alvin unlike other stock market authors uses the platform of this book as an unbiased review of all financial aspects: Not just stocks also bonds, personal finance and the list goes on.
This is a great book for people who are new to finance and the stock market, this book really encouraged me to invest. Like wise, it could be used depending on the individuals frame of mind, to discourage them from investing there capital in the market the author acknowledges that factor. Either way the author states that and understands that the ups and downs of the market isnt for every one.
The two real messages of this book are:
the stock market should be used as a long term investment plan (but the author also investigates many types of investment plans as well.
the second and probably the more subtle point "Risk and Reward" go hand in hand.
this is well worth reading for new/potential investers.
on 26 May 2004
I have recently decided to take action and start investing, but I knew absolutely nothing about where to start and how to go about it.
This book was easy to understand and has helped me to develop an investing strategy.
It gives a good overview.
on 29 December 2001
A very easy to read book as Alvin comfortably slides you along annedotes to understand each market component. He discusses how they function and how to use them and your real options as you do the final summing up.
There is nothing complicated in his lessons over a cup of coffee talking about unit trust, reading the FT, disspelling common myths, pros, cons and so on.
Alvin, allows you space to think about what is right for your individual needs.
Alvin gives you confidence, a sound backbone of knowledge in simple and tidy speech.
on 17 March 2004
An excellent book covering all necessary elements of begining to understand shares. Contains some good advice
on 12 July 2014
It is ok. It is not my field. I learned many things. It is a goog book Igave it to a friend