5.0 out of 5 stars Totally captivating

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible condition
Published 7 months ago by tamar foster

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally captivating, 11 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Deptford Histories, The: Thomas (The Deptford Histories) (Paperback)
This book is one of the best I've ever read - it's got a strong, unpredictable plot, real characters, good description, pace - but the thing it does best is the atmosphere. Right from the beginning you can picture everything in your mind, and although I hate to do yet another comparison to JK Rowling, the book captivates you in the same way. You feel a part of their world and it's impossible to put down. This is definitely one of Robin Jarvis' best books and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Gothic-style fantasy. Also, don't be fooled by the fact it's about mice, because there are some very gruesome scenes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well plotted and thrilling story, Jarvis's finest., 28 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I have read a great deal of Robin Jarivs's books and I think of those I have read this is his best, the only one that came near was The Oaken Throne. His technique of describing the struggle and triumph of good against the overwhelming power of evil always wins me. He makes a point of making the efforts of the good guys seem more and more futile right up until the last point, within both the books themselves and throughout the trilogies. In this book he has never excelled more at doing that.
What is more, he has a gift for using descriptive words that I have not yet seen equalled by any modern author. I find this makes his books an easy but fruitful read that I cannot put down and do not find any less thrilling the second time I read them. I think nowadays I am too old for such literature. But I think Robin Jarvis will be one of my favourite authors for always. This book best states the reason why.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books i've read!, 22 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This is such a brilliant book and i would recomend it to anyone! It's so imaginative and it gets you hooked into the storyline straight away. You can imagine everything really clearly in your mind and it's so unpredictable, you won't want to put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 19 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This is one of the greatest books ever, and is made especially great by not totally revealing everything until the VERY LAST WORD. Like the book that came before it (The Oaken Throne, also genius) it has a very short, very surprising, very sad, very VERY good epilogue. Sheer class...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Indiana Jones style fun., 24 Nov 1999
By A Customer
Spasmodic, over the top and generally a lot of fun

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible condition, 20 Dec 2013
I recently contacted Amazon, although I have had no response, explaining how disappointed I was with this book. I ordered two used books both described as being in 'very good' condition. Unfortunately this book was in poor condition with mouldy pages, rips and creases to the front cover, the last users bookmark still in place and with colour coming off of the front cover. The other book was in good condition but this only highlighted how poorly kept this copy was. I felt that the product description was very misleading and would be concerned at what a lesser condition book would be like. This purchase has put me off using the marketplace for second hand goods. I was also disappointed to not receive feedback from my previous message as I have always found Amazon to be very helpful before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need in a fantastic read!, 12 Mar 2008
I didn't actually get to read this third installment to the Histories until I was in my late teens, and had almost forgotten how wonderful the world Jarvis creates is. Adventures on the high seas, characters you really bond with and care about (and forget that they are actually mice!), and villains who spooked me enough to sleep with the light on.

This is my favourite of the histories, even though it is the saddest (even sadder than the Oaken Throne, which is heatbreaking at the end), because it is the most adventurous of the three, and of course because it tells the life story of the Great Thomas Triton.
A must read series for anyone who loved the Deptford mice, but equally great for those wanting to start on a journey into the history of mousedome and lizard gods...

5.0 out of 5 stars Robin Jarvis is back on form!, 4 May 1999
By A Customer
Robin Jarvis's best book for a long time. This is a priceless novel and defintley one of the best that Robin Jarvis has ever wrote. The action is fast and superb in this book and you cannot get bored with a entertaining read like this one. It was also nice to see some of the first book's characters when they were young. Buy this now. You're mad not to. Read it today.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is FABUOLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 4 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This book is a SUPER novel! I would reckomend this book for 9 years old -adult ages.The cover is really stuning!!!!! The book is so good it makes you want to read it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever book you sleep thomas eat thomas and breath thomas, 18 Oct 2000
By A Customer
Harry Potter pha! BAD ! Compared to Thomas. Are any of you reading Harry Potter by any chance, if you are, where have you been for the past year. Robin Jarvis rules ok...

Deptford Histories, The: Thomas (The Deptford Histories)
Deptford Histories, The: Thomas (The Deptford Histories) by Robin Jarvis (Paperback - 21 Sep 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01