5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for depressed Christians with a focus on CBT
The subtitle of this book - "A Christian Self-help approach to Depression and Anxiety" is accurate: the emphasis is on self-help (although professional help is not opposed), and covers in detail not just depression but related psychological problems such as anxiety, panic attacks, even self-harm.
The book is essentially a workbook - there are blank spaces to fill in...
Published on 25 Feb 2003 by laura9785

2.0 out of 5 stars A very positive approach with no empathy
I really did not find this helpful at all and would not reccomend it or pass it on to another. I am not a believer in cognitive therapy the modern approach where all is good and they avoid the things in life that are bad. People do not like depression and do not see it as an illness rather a sin. They sin as much when they do not offer love so let us get down to the fact...
Published 10 months ago by Mrs.Anne S Peverett

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for depressed Christians with a focus on CBT, 25 Feb 2003
This review is from: I'm Not Supposed to Feel Like This: A Christian Approach to Depression and Anxiety (Hodder Christian Books) (Paperback)
The book is essentially a workbook - there are blank spaces to fill in and worksheets to photocopy. It differs from Lockley's "A Practical Workbook for the Depressed Christian" in that it is based almost entirely on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), with medication and other therapies covered in only a single chapter.
Thus the book teaches techniques for challenging negative thoughts and skills for problem solving. The main tools are the "Five areas assessment" - Feelings, Physical symptoms, Thinking, Behaviour, and Relationship/Practical - and the "Seven Step Approach" - Define problem, Brainstorm, Assess advantages and disadvantages, Choose solution, Plan, Carry out, and Review. These tools, and the worksheets, are repeated throughout the book, which is helpful to depressed readers whose concentration may be impaired. Rather annoyingly however, the book has no index!
All three authors are Christians; one is a pastor while the other two are psychiatrists. The Christian view is cleverly interwoven with the CBT making the book palatable to those with a natural suspicion of psychology. Most of the assertions are backed up with Bible verses, and many of the case examples have a Christian context. The chapter on "Maintaining your walk with God" is particularly useful. In a chapter aimed at church leaders, the negative attitudes to mental illness sometimes found in the church are addressed.
Overall, the book is not as comprehensive as Lockley's, and may seem little coldly logical at times, but has far more detail on ways to combat negative thoughts and behaviours. Perhaps both books should be used together, or this one alone for milder depression which might remit through self-help alone.
Certainly as an introduction to CBT for Christians, this book is unrivalled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic way if seeing yourself as God does, 6 Nov 2011
A brilliant book which looks at faulty thinking and putting God thinking in. Have done a lot of CBT work with one to one or group but could never make it work, that is because I was missing God out of the equation. Was so good I bought one for a friend in Canada. Please read this if you know God wants you to think like him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hold on!, 6 May 2009
This book is a God-send. It helps to know that a lot of what drives you in your depression is baggage God doesnt want you to keep hold of! The most important thing I got from this book is that GOD LOVES ME NOW! He loves me for what I am now not what I should be, might be ,could me but for me and right now.....Amazing! Thank you to the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christian approach to Depression, 28 Nov 2011
I was very pleased to find this book - the title says it all! Practical and thoughtful help for those experiencing depression and their family/friends, especially for those who feel they should not be in this situation

4.0 out of 5 stars depression, 9 Sep 2013
Very good and worth a read for sure and for anyone who knows someone or themselves with this mental health problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not supposed to feel like this., 13 Aug 2013
I recently purchased this book as I have suffered with depression on and off for years. Currently feeling low and once again on anti-depressants I thought this book would be ideal reading for me. I wasn't disappointed. The authors obviously have a very clear understanding of the symptoms/effects of depression on a person. This book doesn't offer any overnight cures, as their aren't any. What it does offer is a guide to understanding your emotions. Understanding your relationship with God. I didn't realize how guilty I felt about some of the events in my life. I didn't think I would be forgiven by God when I find it hard to forgive myself. I now plan to work on what I have read in this book along with my relationship with God. It has taught me not to be so hard on myself-God isn't! Full of practical advice and charts to fill in, prayers at the end of each chapter:)

I have only one negative and that is the email link to their site is no longer valid. I got on there but could tell the site hadn't been used for years. Such a shame because it would have been good to discuss this book and gain other peoples insight into it too. I still highly recommend it though:)I'm Not Supposed to Feel Like This: A Christian Approach to Depression and Anxiety (Hodder Christian Books)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite sympathetic but possible, 5 April 2013
Found this to be very useful for advising others, but a severe sufferer would perhaps find some of the areas a little tough to handle immediately - would recommend that this is done in a supportive group working together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful self-help guide, 21 Feb 2014
I dip in and out of this book. I like the way it is written - very down to earth and some very good hints for changing thought processes.

I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from depression and anxiety

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not supposed to feel like this, 13 Aug 2013
A very helpful book. Recognising that people feel low or anxious on times, even Christians. The book helps people begin to understand the way they feel using CBT and linking to scripture throughout in a helpful way giving the reader hope that they can find their way out of depression. I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have book, 12 Jan 2013
This book should be on every Christian's book shelf, to use or lend, an invaluable and usable tool. It is professional, reassuring, Biblical and effective, what more do we need?