4.0 out of 5 stars Dreamcatcher
Published on 3 July 2002 by autumnmoon2

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Stephen King novel
I am a number one fan of Stephen King and every time a new novel comes out, I buy it. As usual: after reading a few pages I was totaly commited, but this time something was missing... First of all: I'm not a big fan of science fiction and so I was a bit sceptical. But King did a good job there. I just found this book not scarry at all, sometimes it was even humoristic...
Published on 24 April 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreamcatcher, 3 July 2002
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
For those of you new to Stephen King, don't judge a book by the cover titles of films made for them. With the notable exceptions of The Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me and a few others most of King's numerous short stories, books and novellas haven't translated well to celluloid. That said, Dreamcatcher is an excellent way to introduce new readers to Stephen King and for past fans of his work it is an opportunity to reacquaint and immerse in writing typical of his style.
However, although Dreamcatcher has many key elements of the horror genre, it is (at least partially) a science fiction book. Not so much little green men, instead grey androgynous aliens with ESP and plots to take over the world. Less Disney and more X-Files.
With dark intent the book centres around five childhood friends all linked by their own thought processes and by a dreamcatcher; a native American charm to ward off evil and catch nightmares. To survive they must battle alien viruses, mutated weasels and military officials with murderous agendas, while in a race against time to save the planet. Some will live and others won't but in Dreamcatcher King rouses sympathy, apathy, love or hatred for all his characters; even fleeting personalities who warrant only a page but contribute to the story by showing depth to the main characters or by tying up loose ends.
An enjoyable read all around, I can thoroughly recommend Dreamcatcher. It should delight new readers and welcome home old friends. If you want a book with a bit of a bite, Dreamcatcher has very sharp teeth!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must own, modern King novel, 10 Mar 2006
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
I recieved the book Dreamcatcher as a present from a relative. I am a big fan of Stephen King books and films and this is one of the best books that I have read by King. It had oftern been critisised for being too slow halfway, but I completly disagree. Dreamcatcher is a book of horror,friendship,power,memories, and above all,briliance of the mind. Another science-fiction-horror book by King is 'The Tommyknockers',which I have also read. The Tommyknockers was another excellant King book, but I still prefered Dreamcatcher. Another point about Dreamcatcher is how fast-going it is! Dreamcatcher picks up at a giant's pace and keeps going throughout the novel (no matter what anyone says about it.) I can guarentee any science-fiction-horror-Stephen King fan that if they read this they are in for a spine-chilling and dramatic read.

4.0 out of 5 stars S.S.D. Book!!!, 24 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Hardcover)
A Stephen King novel is always an eagerly awaited event in my life. He has been my book companion since the age of 14. Salems Lot gave me insominia (the thought of my school pals scratching at the window still freaks me out) and Pet Sematary gave a spooky perspective of the common moggy!! At the age of 30 does King still scare the pants of me?
With his latest book the Jury is still out. After the first Chapter you know you are reading the Great mans work - he has the talent to tell a 400 page story in 600 instead - and this is by know means a criticism. He delves into the minds of the characters in such a unique way that each come alive in the readers mind and you really kick into how disfunctional most of them really are -- real anti-heros.
This story covers the well worn track of the UFO genre and takes on the old cover-up theories of the X-Files etc etc - He has taken us on this path before with the Tommyknockers but I feel that this novel is more horror than sci-fi (but lets try and keep the review label free!) Stephen fair spits the narrative out in this book and you can relate the story very well with his accident and subsequent spell in hospital. With many of his classics we go back to the Characters childhood and many of the events are linked - a welcome return to Derry and Pennywise also appeal to the King stalwart.
Is this book good ? We lets say I enjoyed it, it was back to the 'old style' in parts and the length was more like the reader expects from him. There was an heartfelt tone about it and certainly up there with is other stuff.
Not for the first time reader of King however, I would recommend his earlier work - 'salems Lot, The Shining or Pet Sematary - but make no bones about it this is worthy of the KING and long may it continue...

5.0 out of 5 stars Made a Stephen King fan of me, 25 Feb 2007
Mr. M. J. Underwood (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
This is the best fiction book I have ever read.

I have never ever cared about a character in any book or film as much as I cared about Duddits. The friendship between the group is the backbone of the story and it makes for a highly emotive plot and some awesome scenes.

The story seemed to go a little wayward in the middle but the last couple of hundred pages are fantastic and full of exciting moments. As with Kings other work you truly become involved with the characters and feel that you know them yourself.

I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world, 17 May 2005
R. K. Harvey "harvey_rebecca" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
I found this to be a great novel, the characters are fanastic and the story is truly gripping. You'll be hooked, but my advice is stay clear of the film until you've finished the book, because the film doesn't do the book justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping It Real, 15 Dec 2002
Ivor Goligher JNR (Belfast, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
This is the book Stephen King wrote the first copy using a pen. But whether using a pen or a word processor only one person can write a story like this. From the first page it has you captivated, then you get the momentum going, you say to yourself...'I'll read one more page' but by the time you get that page finished you have to read more. The pace is quick the plot is mesmerising and to be honest I'd put it among his best. In true King style he developes the characters in such away you relate with them, you almost wish you had friends like them. And his pure narrative force takes you on a ride you'll never forget. Whether you're a King fan or not I recomment this book to anyone. You won't be disappointed. Trust me. Enjoy your reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The survival of the world relies on four men, and a child..., 13 Nov 2002
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
I'd finished all the books on my shelf, so i went out to buy one. This was the first Stephen King book i've read, and i bought it through my immediate attraction to the back cover. Dreamcatcher draws you straight into the thick of things with its explosive, mysterious and cryptic beginning. The characters are so unique, that you know which one is being talked about simply by King's style of writing. The story line is so perfectly set out, form the odd beauty of the telelpaty in the characters: Jonesy, Henry, Pete, and Beaver, to the horrific chittering weasel implants, described by King are so perfect its scary. All i can say is buy this book, you wont be let down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but not a classic, 11 Aug 2002
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
Well well, this is a little different from the usual ammo used in the King Cannon - sci fi, aliens, ect. Well, he did that in the Tommyknockers, given, but this novel seems more akin to an X-Files episode than a typical King novel. Thats not to say it isn't any good - it is - but those brought up on King's earlier novels should be prepared for the change. Dreamcatcher is also, I found, a rather funny novel, laced with black humour. King has had humour before, certainly, but Dreamcatcher's humour is less subtle. As usual, you are gripped from the opening page, and the book is hard to put down. It is an entertaing read, but not ones of King's best. The ending was anti-climatic and predictable - it left me wanting more. I did not find it scary, tense yes, but not the kind of fear that one expects out of a horror novel. Saying that, actually, this is more sci-fi than horror, and perhpas suffers a little for that, but by no means should you not read it. If this is your first Stephen King novel, however, stop and order IT or The Shining right now. This is an good read, but i feel that it will not, in future years, be able to call itself a classic. Still, an average King book is still very good, compared to some other novels. So I'd say yes, get it. You'll never look at bacon the same way again...

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to the writing quality we expect from The Master., 19 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Hardcover)
Having read many of Stephen King's books in the eighties but none since, I was encouraged by the buzz of the electronic grapevine to return to the master from a wilderness of poorly written science fiction. Internet reviews seemed to average a recommendation of this 600-page piece as a definite return to the quality we came to expect from the author of such successes as Christine, Misery, and Pet Sematary.
Although initially confused by a pretentious, overcooked opening few paragraphs I was soon able to tune in again to that unique writing style and write-as-you-speak form. I don't remember finding his earlier works quite so frustrating, however - many sentences requiring re-reading at least twice!
The characters are established early on as one would expect. Parallels can be drawn with the re-united childhood friends of 'IT' though Henry, Beav, Pete and Jonesy never actually lose touch during their adult years thanks to a much cherished, annual hunting trip which becomes an invaluable, almost therapeutic release for them as their childhood dreams are gradually replaced by the demands, disappointments and stresses of adult life. You cannot help but be drawn in by the warmth of their friendship, the centre-point of which is Duddits, a gifted though mentally retarded boy who they meet under the most cruel of circumstances during their teens and who will greatly influence their lives in the years to come.
Though heavily clichéd, the book demands that you read an extra few pages before you set it down each night. There are overtones of the Tommyknockers as the alien-landing-in-the-woods storyline takes shape and some of Beav's laddish utterances remind me of those verbal tantrums of Paul Sheldon's nurse some years back. Also, the seemingly limitless warehouse that holds Jonesey's boxed memories is borrowed (the book and author escapes me) but is brilliantly worked into the story's undercurrent as his body is taken over by the alien but his mind survives in a locked office; much to the alien's annoyance. Some memory boxes are salvaged by Jonesy, and taken into his sanctuary rendering them inaccessible to Mr Gray. (The alien) Jonesy's remaining memories are vulnerable, of course, and are duly plundered as the alien consciousness strives to keep its host alive and ultimately achieve its goal.
The cast suddenly expands, as the early suspense and mystery are broken when the story and our lead characters leave the hunting ground. The US military are introduced in stereotypical fashion as we meet new characters one of whom we grow to hate and the other, you guessed it... Eventually, the suspense grows again as 'The Chase' commences. Although a little drawn out, you are compelled to read on as the book moves toward its climax...
The ending must have been a challenge considering the 500 plus page build-up but the author completes the task successfully in my opinion, though some readers may disagree. As you close the back cover you must surely accept THE MASTER IS BACK...

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 21 Jan 2007
D. Hateley "elamae1" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamcatcher (Paperback)
This is the third Stephen King book I've read, only being picked up after reading and enjoying Salem's Lot and deciding to take one of his other books home to read over Christmas. I didn't read it at Christmas (too much eating chocolate going on) but started it when I got back to work. At first I found it a bit, I won't say boring, but it didn't grab me the way I hoped it would. I kept going because the style and the feel of it did grab my curiousity and I'm very glad I did.

Stephen King has a remarkable talent with his writing that I'm only just starting to realise. Maybe it's just this book, but I doubt it. The characters wove me into their world and their friendship completely. Their voices, their struggle and the way King tells a story comes out of the page and grips you.

Having said that, the ending did leave me a little flat, the few pages that wrap it up right at the end. It one sense it's good, neatly packaging it for those (like me) who might have missed some of the more subtle points (I finished it at midnight). But I can see how it might also may come across to others as a bit wet. Didn't spoil it at all though!

On the whole though a very good book that this reader very much enjoyed! Fantastic stuff, that if you are in the right mood will really satisfy you.

Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher by Stephen King (Hardcover - 5 Mar 2001)
14.39