4.0 out of 5 stars THE "IMPROBABLE" MILLIONAIRES
Published on 13 May 2003 by TheReader23

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
It is with increasing disappointment that I have bought each subsequent novel by this author. I loved the First Counsel but can think of little to recommend this book.
The plot line was thin to say the least. The behaviour of the characters was not in character for them and I particularly disliked the Hollywood style "made for TV movie" ending. I wish I could say...
Published on 15 Nov. 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars THE "IMPROBABLE" MILLIONAIRES, 13 May 2003
TheReader23 (Pennsylvania (orig. NY)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Millionaires (Paperback)
Starting a Brad Meltzer thriller is like taking a train ride that is sure to jump the tracks before you reach your destination. Usually, it's at least the first twenty or thirty pages that have my heart skipping a beat. In The Millionaires, I didn't come up for air until I was well into a hundred pages of the book. Like the main characters, who were scared out of their wits in their attempt to steal millions of dollars, I too was frightened right along with them.
In the beginning, Meltzer has the main character talking about people who come into money and stating that once that happens, they lose their grasp on reality. This is exactly what will happen as brothers Oliver and Charlie Caruso, employees of the New York private banking firm of Greene and Greene, attempt to divert millions of dollars from an inactive/dead client's account. As with other similar novels I've read, whereby people try to become millionaires by secretly keeping other people's money (A Simple Plan, The Summons), this is no easy task.
Even though the brothers are undertaking something illegal, the reader will feel empathy towards them. Their motives are purely genuine as they're hoping to reduce some exorbitant medical bills whose responsibility for payment lies with their mother Maggie.
A chase will ensue as the Secret Service gets involved in finding the money and, at one point, the reader will have no idea as to the identity of the good guys and the bad guys. I will admit that the premise gets a bit confusing trying to figure out this money transfer scheme but Meltzer tells you right at the beginning of this ride that money will make you lose your grasp on reality.
This is the third book I've read by Brad Meltzer (Dead Even and The First Counsel being the other two)and he has yet to disappoint me. I discovered him one day years ago on a morning talk show and I'm happy that I made his acquaintance because he has since brought me many hours of reading enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars As Grisham as it gets without it being Grisham...., 20 Nov. 2002
Rosslock "rosslock" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Millionaires (Hardcover)
This book will very much appeal to fans of John Grisham. The story line is one you'd expect from Grisham, the writing style is very similar..Hold on! Maybe it is Grisham under a false name?
Anyway, taking away the 'Grisham factor' this is an entertaining read with good characters and an interesting plot. Don't expect a mind blowing experience and/or a completely surprising twist at the end. Rather, expect a well construed book that is smoothly written and entertaining. Perfect holiday reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Who wants to be a millionaire? 5.11.02, 5 Nov. 2002
Bernie (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Millionaires (Paperback)
A thoroughly enjoyable read. A fast-paced opening two chapters got me hooked and from the very beginning I could completely relate to the two main characters. Their relationship is brilliantly written and very real.
This book was slightly confusing in places and the ending was not totally unexpected, but there is some good action along the way. For me, it was not radically different to what I would expect from some other authors such as Grisham, but what makes it stand out in my mind is the author's real understanding of people and relationships. That made it really enjoyable and realistic.
I would definitely read other books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Millionaires - Better than Grisham! (in my opinion), 11 July 2004
This review is from: The Millionaires (Paperback)
As someone who seems to have little time for reading books I found that this book demanded I make time to read it. Having read many John Grisham books I was bought the Millionaires by Brad Meltzer as a present.
I found the book very gripping and fast paced. The book never became boring as the authors style combined with many surprises and twists and turns were a recipe for an exciting read.
This was my first book by the author. Since then I have gone on to read 'The First Counsel' by the author which was also an excellent book.
If you like Grisham you will like Brad Meltzer. Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, light read with a few unforgivable bits, 6 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Millionaires (Kindle Edition)
I've not read any Brad Meltzer novels before and this was a nice surprise. This is plane-fodder, for passing straight on, but a fun read.

Many parts of this book could be better. The financial side seemed 20 years out of date and the key invention was unexciting. It's also unfortunate that, like David Baldacci, Meltzer clearly feels no novel is complete without a BIG SCENE at the end (think hall of mirrors in a 60s film...), followed by a bucketload of schmaltz.

But even so, a good book and I'll be trying more of this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Millionaires- A Great Crime Thriller Book., 18 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Millionaires (Paperback)
This was the first Brad Meltzer book i read, which i purchased while on holiday, i started reading it and i got into it right away and couldnt put the book down till i was nearly 150 pages through it.
The story line was really good and it kept making you guess who the bad guy's were all the way through. i thought wrong everytime. It would make a great film, the authour has a very good imagination. I would recommend this book to people who like thrillers or crime novels.
This was a great book and im sure to buy more books from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars MY FIRST MELTZER, AND NOT MY LAST, 14 Aug. 2010
Barry McCanna (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Millionaires (Paperback)
I hadn't come across Brad Meltzer before, and I enjoyed this the first of his books that I've read. Other reviewers have identified the defioiencies; the goofy pair of brothers (appropriate since they end up in Disneyland) and the somewhat unsatisfactory ending. To which I'd add the recuperative powers of the hero. But I enjoyed it anyway, partly because of the interplay between the brothers, not forgetting their ingenious mother. If it were made into a movie it would be described as a caper.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Page Turner, 19 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Millionaires (Paperback)
Not being an avid reader of crime/thriller novels, I was so surprised how much I enjoyed this book. From the moment I started it I was gripped, putting off doing things just so I could keep reading. Great characters and definate twists that I didn't see coming. I'd recommend this book to anyone that enjoys the thrill of the chase in a book. I look forward to reading future novels by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good thriller, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Millionaires (Kindle Edition)
I had expectations from a Brad Meltzer novel and I have to say they were met. Having looked at other reviews they seem a bit mixed and a couple of the poorer reviews are perhaps unjustified. It was well-paced and an entertaining read with a decent twist. The ending (after the drama) felt a bit out of place and it could maybe have ended a bit more tightly. Overall though it was good.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love Brad Meltzer's writing style, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Millionaires (Kindle Edition)
I love Brad Meltzer's writing style. You just can't put the book down. The dialogues are original and he makes the readers feel everything the characters in the book feel. Only reason I would deduct a star is that the plot twist at the end, though surprising, is a little far-fetched and not particularly probable, but it's still a very good read.

The Millionaires
The Millionaires by Brad Meltzer (Paperback - 19 Sept. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01