5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific and Funny
Published on 25 Mar 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars This one disappointed me.
I loved both Lions & Licorice and Colours of Snow, but Too Many Godmothers disappointed me.
I found the plot to be rather convoluted, and I had to keep re-reading parts to make sure I could follow what was happening.
Published on 5 Jun 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific and Funny, 25 Mar 2002
This review is from: Too Many Godmothers (Paperback)
Too Many Godmothers is brilliant, another example of Kate Fenton's wry humor and intricate plots. She takes on the tale of Cinderella and makes it modern. Well, it's kind of Cinderella, kind of not. Not a lot of evil here, just silly, self-absorbed, selfish people and a wonderfully determined "heroine", our Teddy. The description doesn't do the story justice - yes, Teddy is caught in a compromising position at the top of the story, but by the last paragraphs, that incident is the least of it. Teddy is every woman's heroine - not especially pretty, certainly not perky, not even especially brilliant and witty. But she is endearing and the other characters are perfect foils for this modern fairy tale/morality play. This is not a straight romance, by any stretch. It's more of a farce, although it's not bitingly cruel to anyone. I've enjoyed Fenton's work in the past - she has a knack for plot twists that seemingly come out of nowhere, and Too Many Godmothers keeps delivering, right down to the last paragraph...

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply a great read, 28 Jan 2002
This review is from: Too Many Godmothers (Paperback)
A fun read, typical of the genre, but like Katie Forde, has a more grown up heroine, who is preoccupied by slightly more than her shoes and drinking in wine bars. There are some fun twists and turns, and the pace is good. Definitely worth reading when you need something to cheer you up, or for taking on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight!, 20 Oct 2002
This review is from: Too Many Godmothers (Paperback)
I would not say this is typical of any genre, mainly due to the wonderful quirky authorial voice. I loved it, and I think maybe the previous reviewer DID miss something major. I love all the characters, even the ones I'm not supposed to like, although I felt like strangling some of them sometimes.
Buy it and keep it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this!, 27 Jan 2002
This review is from: Too Many Godmothers (Paperback)
This is great fun. It zips along with verve and energy - there isn't a dull page in it - and though it seems from the blurb that it might be a bit stuffy it isn't in the least. The charecters are wonderful too, from bossy, tactless, endearing Teddy, her long suffering neighbour to the mother from from hell. If you want a tonic, try this.

1.0 out of 5 stars This one disappointed me., 5 Jun 2002
This review is from: Too Many Godmothers (Paperback)
The part that dismayed me the most is, unfortunately, a massive spoiler, so I can't really talk about it here. I will just say that, unless I missed something major, it seems to me that Lorette ends up with someone she shouldn't (either legally or morally) and her mother does nothing to stop her. In a word, ick.

Too Many Godmothers
Too Many Godmothers by Kate Fenton (Paperback - 3 Jan 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01