5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly warm and chock full of charm.
Published on 18 Feb. 2002 by Constance Mary

2.0 out of 5 stars A Gayle too far
Published on 16 Jun. 2004 by Kevin Clarke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly warm and chock full of charm., 18 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
As a confirmed Gayle addict, I have been waiting for the difficult second album syndrome to set in with each new novel - surely he must write a dodgy book soon. The odds were therefore high on this, his fourth novel, being crap but I think I love it even more than the others. It's warm and welcoming. Yet again he seems to have written a book that mirrors my thoughts and feelings at this stage of my 30-something life. You find yourself developing a genuine concern for all the key characters in the book and I particularly liked the young girl, Nicola. What a cool kid! I recommend this as the perfect book to read on a rainy Saturday afternoon.
P.S. Top quotes and music references throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Written for and by a 30 something, 10 Feb. 2002
Mark A. English (North Ferriby, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
I was lucky to come across Mike Gayle having had My Legendary Girlfriend recommended to me by the girl who cuts my hair. I bought it, liked it, bought his other 2 books and liked them equally. Dinner For Two was in the shops last Thursday. I bought it and had finished it by Saturday lunchtime. It's not much of a departure from his other books. Mike Gayle writes in an easy, almost chatty style that's easy to fall into very quickly. Being a 30 something the best thing about it is that his observations seem to be mine. He speaks like I speak. He (or more correctly, his characters) whinges about what I whinge about. It's one of those books where you think he must have met you since so much seems spot on. He hasn't, of course. He's just a 30 something too and we're all made from the same mould I think.
Mike Gayle fans won't be disappointed. If you like Nick Hornby, Tony Parsons et al, you won't be disappointed either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gayle hits the mark again, 15 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
Having read "Turning Thirty" just before I did, I became a Mike Gayle convert. "Dinner for Two" is not as laugh out loud funny as Turning Thirty, Mr Commitment or MLG but is just as good if not better as an overall read (I was gripped and sat at read it in an afternoon).
Turning 'bloke lit.' on its head to present a character that wanted a child when his partner/wife wasn't that bothered was a clever gamble that paid off. Sensitively written but not so twee that you couldn't believe that the lead guy didn't really exist somewhere. The only problem I face now is that I've run out of Mike Gayle books to read. Mike, can you hurry up and write another? Cheers

4.0 out of 5 stars Dinner for Two, 17 Oct. 2005
DevJohn01 (Somerset, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
On the heels of finishing `MR. COMMITMENT' also by Mike Gayle I rushed out to buy one of his other critically acclaimed novels with high hopes of it being equal to or better than `MR. COMMITMENT'. Having read some of the reviews on Amazon I settled on `DINNER FOR TWO' which had an overall five star rating, and while I did enjoy it very much it was not quite up to the standard set by the previous novel. I still felt the same freshness when reading `DINNER FOR TWO' since it too is written from the male perspective which Gayle seems to be right on the money with, however, my problem with this book was that the ending seemed to be a little rushed. I feel as though, especially in a situation as complex as the one in this book, more than two pages is needed to wrap up the story.
Dave Harding always knew he wanted a family but being that his wife Izzy was never quite ready he knew that he loved her enough to wait. But when Izzy calls him one day and informs him that she is "late" he is through the roof. Although they try to contain their excitement until later in the pregnancy they cannot help but discuss baby names and imagine what their future is going to be like. That is until Izzy miscarries. Now their world is turned upside-down and much to Dave's chagrin Izzy decides that she cannot take that pain again and wants to hold off on trying again...indefinitely. Dave reigns in his now overwhelming desire to be a father in respect for his wife's feelings but when he receives a letter from a young girl claiming that he is her biological father he cant help but to want it to be true. As he grows closer to this beautiful thirteen-year-old girl the gap between he and Izzy grows as well and while he loves his wife more than anything he cannot deny his daughter whom he as grown to love just as much. Trying to make up for lost time Dave and his daughter keep their relationship a secret until it becomes a burden and everyone they love can no longer be kept in the dark.
`DINNER FOR TWO' was funny in parts and touching in others. Mike Gayle definitely has a flare for giving insight to the various aspects of the male mind and had the ending been a little fuller this would have easily been another five star book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, funny and romantic. You MUST read this., 10 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
Thanks Mike Gayle for making me miss a whole weekend.
Having never read anything by Mr Gayle before, I chose this one because of the cover (at least I'm honest).
It was Saturday lunchtime, I'd just finished work, and fancied something to read. Before I knew it, it was Sunday evening. My girlfriend thinks I'm having an affair, because I didn't come to bed until 4, my dog is starving, and the book is damp, after I took it to the bath with me.
Mike Gayle writes with incredible pace. It is not possible to read just "one more chapter". In this book he uses his inside-knowledge of being an agony-uncle to tell the story of a man in a happy relationship who discovers he has a daughter from a fling 13 years ago.
It's a wonderfully touching book: funny and poignant. A must for hopeless romantics (and yes, some men are!). I wouldn't want to give too much away here, but when you read the last page, you'll let out a quiet "ahh" and get on with your life.
I am now going out to read Mike's other books, and would be interested to hear from other fans of his work.
In summary: GO BUY NOW!

4.0 out of 5 stars Light reading, 9 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
His fourth book, I suspect all of them to have autobiographical elements in them. The main character in every book by Gayle is an aspect of his own personality. This is not automatically a disqualification of the book. Just do not expect any deep thoughts, any vision, anything remotely philosophical. What you do get is worth buying the book. Plenty of laughs, a pretty accurate view of modern times, hilarious observations, brilliant conversations. Gayle knows exactly how the thirty-something of these days lives, he knows how his generation looks back at their youth, in their memory only a short while ago, in reality half their lives ago.
In this book music journalist Dave ends up working for your typical girlie magazine. He takes over the agony aunt page and becomes Doctor Love. Everything seems to go without any problems, until he gets a letter from a 13-year-old who claims to be his daughter. He meets her and knows she is right, a holiday romance onenightstand comes back with a vengeance. After that, things are getting out of hand.
Brilliant book, nearly impossible to put down, all 364 pages demand to be read in one go. Please do so, especially if you're from the same generation as Gayle and me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 July 2006
Inez, Fan (Heywood, Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
As soon as I read the first page of this book I was enthralled and I couldn't wait to read another chapter, so much so that my sleep pattern was interuppted, as I generally read just before going to bed, but found I had to read another and another chapter. The author's words are so down to earth and you can relate to the characters. It has been a while since I read a good book and this is truly exceptional. I would take great delight in reading this book, again and again. Please add this to your collection, the storyline is not a Jackie Collins or a Danielle Steele, but is very unique, this book will have you laughing, crying and smiling. Mike Gayle is a very modern author - that you can easily read and truly enjoy.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Gayle too far, 16 Jun. 2004
Kevin Clarke "kevin17566" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
I enjoyed 'Turning Thirty' (although that was a lot to do with being able to identify with the Birmingham locales) but this book was a Gayle too far. I'm sure he's a lovely guy and everything, but his books are light, fluffy confections with no balls and no soul. Everything is just too damned EASY in Gayle's world - reading his books, do you ever get the sense that anything REALLY painful or damaging is going to happen to his characters? Of course not, cos that would be too near real life, not the kind of sanitised, 'Friends lite' angst that Gayle deals in. He's a shade above Tony Parsons, I admit, but lagging way behind Nick Hornby and Tim Lott in this type of novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and warm, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Kindle Edition)
Review: I really enjoy novels by this author, this will be the third novels I've read and I have others sitting on my shelves. I tend to read his novels in audiobook form and they are always narrated really well even though they've all been read by different people! This writer usually delivers a good dose of humour in his novels, and this was no different, it had me laughing out loud at several points and the general witty tone continues right the way through.

I like the idea for this storyline, someone in a relationship where one of them wants and child and the other doesn't and then he discovers that he has a child from a previous encounter. The general lace of the novel started off really well but from about the midpoint until just before the ending, it really slowed down, making it a little difficult to see where it was going. It was as if there had either been a break in writing, or else this part had been added in afterwards... Overall though I thought the story was to,d really well and I didn't know how it was going to end until literally the last moment. A great way to end a novel.

The character of Dave was quite interesting. He seems like a genuinely nice bloke, but over the course of the novel he does make some bad choices and so I really didn't know whether to like him or not. I think overall I did warm to him, based on his character profile in the beginning of the novel. We get to hear some of the articles he is writing for work and he is genuinely a funny guy with a heart of gold. I loved his wife's character up until her kind of turning point in the middle. Again she made some choices that made me a little uncomfortable, that I didn't really think she would make and this made me dislike her just a little bit! Dave's daughter, Nicola, is a lovely character, she is kind and generous. Her level of trust that she out in Dave, a near stranger, did make me a little uncomfortable though, but I do have to remember that this was written a few years ago when society was generally a more trusting place.

Despite the fact that I've picked apart the characters and the pace a little, I genuinely thought this was a really fun read. It was just he perfect length and I am glad I heard Daves story. The ending is brilliant and this is definitely something that will appeal to a range of audiences. If you are a Mike Gayle fan, you will enjoy this novel and if you are new to his writing, this is an excellent indicator of the kind of humour and warmth that you can expect from his other novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great insight into men's minds amongst other things..., 2 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Dinner for Two (Paperback)
I found this a very interesting book which was easy to read and intriguing. The short 'chapters' or sections make it easy to follow and it gives women useful insights into what men think want in relationships, among other things. The plot is rich and never stops to amaze you.
This is the first book i have read by Mike Gayle and i am very pleased - i shall be considering reading more of his books when i can!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dinner for Two
Dinner for Two by Mike Gayle (Paperback - 15 Aug. 2002)