on 29 October 2000
Film novelisations are sometimes tacky and dull. This is not the case with The World Is Not Enough. I loved every page and the detail behind the characters that the film missed out such as the reasons behind Renard's love for Elektra. I have to say that by the end of the book I actually felt sorry for Renard because he was only really a tool for Elektra's greed- a point I did not pick up with the film although I liked it equally. My favourite part was the introduction of Christmas Jones at the mine and the theft of the nuclear warhead. All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone, Bond fan or not. (Yes, it is that good!)
on 6 May 2000
This 200 page book based on the screenplay by Neal Purvis & Robert Wade follows Bond's latest big screen adventure.
Benson adds interesting background narrative padding out necessary scenes but alas not over developing the familiar characters.
By adding the missing, opening & important scene he explains why M sends 007 to Bilbao to collect King's money. Strangely it is not until towards the end (?) when he looks into the Renard & Elektra kidnap relationship and explains why the terrorist is so devoted to her. Actor Robert Carlyle who played Renard stated in an interview that he made the character's nationality Bosnian but here he is Russian. Meanwhile Zukovsky's assistant 'The Bull' due to his gold teeth has become a 'Jaws' baddie with his height increased to 7 feet !
The book also explains that Q Branch sent James his old DB5 as back-up to the disposable Z8 for his travels around the Caspian Sea and this helps locate him ( with satellite tracking ) for the final love scene in Istanbul which isn't made too clear in the movie. A light & enjoyable read which recreates the movie's success and is worth a visit to the library or book shop.
Slightly puzzled by the 7 blank pages between chapters to help reach the magical 200 - paperback version.
on 8 November 1999
Having read the book, I cannot wait for the film to be released. I think that is very good that Q has an assistant, but it will not be the same once he retire. Also the involvement of M in the field is just incredible, but as usual Bond saves the day and reescues her from the hands of the evil Renard, and Elektra King. Also I can't wait to see the scene whereSIS headquarters is blown up, and Bond slides down the Millenium Dome. I think that the film will be a great hit, and I feel privalaged to add this book to my collection .
on 13 December 1999
The book faithfully charts the progress of the film form beginning to end and then some. There are bits and pieces that are not included in the film, giving the reader more insight of the different characters... much better than "High Time to Kill"... buy the book if you're a Bond fan... also good for fans of action/thriller novels...
on 12 November 1999
Hi, im Phil. I have read one other of Raymond Benson's books and enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed this one just as much if not more than the other. I have also seen his film, Tomorrow Never Dies, probably the best Brosnan film, I hope Benson keeps up the good work and keeps on churning out these absolutely thrilling books!
on 6 December 1999
I didn't get my book yet. I saw the movie 4 times, and I absolutely love it. It's personalized from Bond's point of view. I'm sure the book will be as great as the movie is. Pierce is at his best in this one. I think he is terrific!
Marie
on 18 October 1999
A non-stop thrilling adventure, containing all the details that make James Bond the best agent of them all. Beautiful girls, amazing gadgets, and a twist in the plot. I hope the film is as good as the book. Just Brilliant.
on 23 January 2000
I saw TWINE before I read this and I am glad I did. The book accounted for things that went on in the film that were not obvious in the screenplay. Raymond Benson is doing a fine job of carrying on Ian Fleming's legacy
on 27 February 2000
A fan of the film, I decided to read the book, also, and I wasn't disappointed. The book goes into far more detail than the film, and makes it much more of a thriller. Brilliant.
on 9 November 1999
A typical Bond story, written in Raymond Benson's inimitable style. Benson is undoubtedly the best of the authors to have continued in Ian Fleming's footsteps...