5.0 out of 5 stars Great book by a great bloke, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Messy Spirituality: Christianity for the Rest of Us (Hodder Christian books) (Paperback)
The loss of Mike Yaconelli in October 2004 was huge. Not only was he an inspirational speaker, his books are astounding. Every time I read one of them I feel not only closer to the author but closer to God.
His attitude to Christianity is what the organised Church really needs to take on board. This book is essential reading for all sorts of people, from committed Christians needing a spiritual uplift to those on the fringe thinking that to be loved by God we need to be living perfect lives. It just ain't so!!
Buy this book for yourself, for your best friend, for the person you work with who thinks you're a bit batty going to church every week. Spread the word that you don't have to be perfect to be a Christian, there was only one bloke capable of that...and sorry Mike it wasn't you my love, but God bless you, I miss you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation! This book will release you from church!, 17 April 2008
Wow, one of those books that has you nodding at every page. Mike Yaconelli had a knack of telling as it is, and this book is brilliant.

He helps you understand God's grace and what it means for the Christian life and church. Essentially it's about realising that our best spiritual connections with God happen when we are at out most honest, most real, most passionate.

Christian spirituality is not about competence or professional church or fake Christian lives on Sundays or comfortable or ...

Christian spirituality is messy spirituality. It is about a passion for Jesus, just as you are. Jesus cared far more about passion than competence.

Churches really need to grasp what Yaconelli is saying as it's at the heart of Jesus' gospel. Read this book, change yourself, change church, meet Jesus in today's world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing read, 4 Jan 2007
This book was a breath of fresh air. It was very readable - a good combination of stories, personal bits and Bible references.

It reminded me of God's amazing grace and what it means to live with that in your life. How we don't have to be good enough for God, he loves us as we are. Not that we have licence to abuse God's grace but we don't have to impress him!

Such a relief. Inspirational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its okay to stop faking..., 19 Oct 2005
By A Customer
Mike Yaconelli's message to the world was/is simple, Love Jesus - Follow Him, Love People - as much as you can & It's normal to get things wrong.
This book can help you realise and understand how God sees your life and the mistakes we all make on a day-day basis - be that worrying or other things that make following Jesus seem an impossible task.
His other books are amazing. Buy them now!
Simple and down to earth, practical and real, easy to read and sufficiently challenging to apply.
Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars For the broken & lost, 3 Feb 2014
Lost broken & confused with your walk. Loved the book . One of the "notorious sinners" who will point you in the right direction

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberating - after guilt ridden year of trying to be perfect, 11 Feb 2013
Mike Yaconelli is so very honest about his struggle to be the perfect Christian some preachers and of course non-Christians tell us we should be.

I was loaned this book by a friend who told me to pass it on, which I have done and those people have passed it on too.
Each person who has read this book has like me, ended up buying their own copy.
I know that there will be some legalists in and out of the church who will not agree and like the Pharisees will make some feel that they can never walk into a church because they can't atain the impossible standard they set
It was a pleasure to have in writing what I have always beleived, tellign the legalists that if it was all black and white why do we need Jesus? Repentance and Grace = Forgiveness and Hope
I was once told that the word sin is the name used for an archer who misses the bulls eye. If it misses it is a sin
We aim for the perfection of God but because we are still earth bound we miss the bulls eye and so are sinners and that is why we need Jesus. I urge those who want the Freedom Jesus spoke of to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book combined with �Psychic Gifts� can change your Life, 6 Dec 2003
I really liked this book. I am an avid reader and would recommend adding this book to your must read list. Another book that really impressed me is Psychic Gifts in the Christian Life - Tools to Connect, by Tiffany Snow, pub. 2003. In this time of increasing awareness for the need to help our relationships, workplace, family, self and environment, these two books are at the forefront of giving us the tools to do so - not only by positive reinforcements, but in the case of "Psychic Gifts," showing we have a Divine birthright to access the supernatural in our lives, and how to tap into that. I encourage you to Keep Reading, apply what you learn, and be a force for good in your part of the world.

Messy Spirituality: Christianity for the Rest of Us (Hodder Christian books)
Used & New from: 0.01