5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!
I don't often write reviews but this book has more bad than good so thought I would even it out a bit.
I got Amy Jenkins's other book for my birthday years ago and loved it. I didn't know until recently she had another book but downloaded it eagerly hoping I would enjoy it as much as Honeymoon which I have read a number of times.
I love the writing style and the...
Published 15 months ago by Tania R

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rotten book.
Amy jenkins is the precocoius girl who developed 'This Life' from nowhere. Sadly, her youthful ideas seem to have deserted her with first "Honeymoon" (about a girl called Honey Moon), and now this.
Published on 30 Oct 2002 by Davywavy2

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rotten book., 30 Oct 2002
This review is from: Funny Valentine (Paperback)
Indistinguishable from every other wacky-jacketed chick-fic on the shelves, and worse than most. A tiresome, derivative plot with cardboard characters whose dialogue often makes conversation impossible to follow (which character said that? They all speak with teh same voice!).
In brief: Independant North London girl falls for worlds biggest film star (Notting hill, anyone?) and has to deal with his possessive ex.
There aren't any surprises, but then again, I don't suppose that the market this is written for really wants any.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 11 April 2005
This review is from: Funny Valentine (Paperback)
Funny Valentine is a predictable novel about a journalist who a) Doesn't drink fair trade coffee b) lives in a flat with her oddball friends c) and who is downright awkward. She'd rather write stories about flowers then celebrities.
And then she bumps into a celebrity at the airport, and is forced by her unbelievable editor to do a story about him. When she turns up at the interview, she likes him from the start, and is too spellbound by him to do any work. But then she gets the chance to write an in-depth piece about him, and then she might just realise that she is going to fall in love with him, etc, with a few potholes along the way.
To me, the characters seemed sulky and unrealistic, and it made me want to scream! The plot is also blindingly obvious - I had worked it out from page 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Funny Valentine (Kindle Edition)
I love the writing style and the quirky characters and I thought it was great. Pure escapism and I read it in a couple of days.
Wish she had written more books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fun and light reading, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Funny Valentine (Paperback)
I first read this book when I went to London ten years ago.
I loved it then and I love it now.
It's fun and witty.
I would recommended it to anyone who wants to read a light and somewhat unconventional love story.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rotten book, 11 Aug 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rotten book, 23 July 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Give the girl a break!, 28 Oct 2003
This review is from: Funny Valentine (Audio Cassette)
I've noticed that almost all the reviews for Amy Jenkins' books mention that she was the writer of the phenomenal 'This Life' - and I think that this explains why so many of the reviews are so bad. Okay, 'Funny Valentine', like the earlier 'Honeymoon', doesn't blow you away like 'This Life' did - but both books are a darn sight better than many other books in this genre which have received kinder reviews. Amy's style and command of language are well above average for a 'Chick-Lit' novel, and the storyline is solid, if not particularly original. It would have been all too easy for Amy, after the success of 'This Life', to stick to the same successful formula, but she's been brave enough to change direction. Whilst the result is lukewarm compared to 'This Life', I think that, taken on its own, and disregarding her previous work, her two novels do not deserve the slating they've received from both critics and readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!, 23 Mar 2006
M. Munson (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Funny Valentine (Paperback)
I thought this book was great for what it was: chick-lit. Amy Jenkins is very witty, and it was nice to see a character who had principles, and who actually stuck to (some of!) them. It wouldn't be chick-lit if she didn't end up falling in love & realising being in a couple is really great, despite not believing in love before. That's the whole point of the genre, I suppose, and why most women read the books. It's like slightly classier, smarter Harlequin novels. But I love how the author never talked about looks, how she wasn't out the whole time to get a man, and how real issues (alcoholism, adultery, celebrity) were brought up, even if not especially in-depth. & it was funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Valentine - a book you cannot put down!, 2 Aug 2003
This review is from: Funny Valentine (Paperback)
I only saw this book the other day in the shop and something made me buy it.I guess it was the front cover,written in big letters there was "FUNNY VALENTINE" and it definitaly suits the story as its funny and you cannot put it down.I've read it in one go!Its about a young woman,Stevie, who doesnt believe in true love(as it doesnt exist),never drinks coffee from a chain store nor sends out Valentine cards.Coming back from a trip she unexpectedly bumps into a filmstar and things start to happen in Stevies life.Things she thought could never happened to her like the things she's against....she gets caught up with life and it turns out to be quite turbulent and funny.Its a book I personally really liked as you can easily slip into the role of Stevie,laugh and cry with her.A definite must buy!

Funny Valentine
Funny Valentine by Amy Jenkins (Paperback - 5 Sep 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01