5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional book for readers from any tradition
Howard C Cutler, an experienced practising psychotherapist, spent years, in America and India, talking with HH The Dalai Lama, presenting him with problems encountered in Western life, and recording his responses. Cutler arranged the results into a sequence which leads us through the universal search for happiness, the obstacles, and how it can really be achieved...
Published on 20 Aug 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars The style of this book lets it down
I first came to this book after one of my counselling clients mentioned that he had been reading it, and that he thought it had helped him to further understand how he needed to change. Intrigued, I decided to get my hands on the book to see if I could discover why he found it so useful.

As you could expect from a book that has the involvement of the Dalai...
Published on 21 Feb 2008 by Brida

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Reading, 30 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
I purchased this as a gift for someone else. I believe they really enjoy it.

It arrived safely albeit a little later than expected but given the weather and the festive period this was expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars mixed reactions at first, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
i honestly have to say that i had mixed reactions about this book at first. i thought that i was going to read more about dalai lama sayings at first, obvious i was wrong so let me firstly tell you that you will have to different characters in this book, HH dalai lama and then howard c. cutler (psychiatric). this book is about a lot of conversations between them. almost like a "battle" between two points of view the east and the west. even so the book structure is really good and the language is really simple. both authors present us with great narrative content, not falling into those "get real" books, but instead with some really deep perspective of two different cultures into real life situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The thought of happiness is the thought of living, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
When i read this book, i did not know what i was going to reed, yet this book has opened my heart and mind, how wonderful, a great book for all to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 8 July 2010
Should be compulsory reading (and discussion) in all schools at least once a year, the world would be a much better place. Just brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reminder of how to find serenity whatever your culture or faith, 5 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
Simply a great read and guide. Nothing that we will go 'ooh' about in terms of facts or Buddhist practice - except as an invaluable reminder to all of us of what we really know deep in our hearts .. and we need reminding of these things in our disconnected selfish world. When our minds close in on themselves there is only one outcome: mental suffering. Up-lifting and invaluable to have as reference when you need it. Accessible to all as it is written by a Western psychologist from his meetings and discussions with the Dalai Lama. Highly recommended to put your mind back on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book as it is a life changer!, 31 Aug 2009
E. Whyman - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
Read this book as it is a life changer and helps to conquer your inner world so life is even more fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
A interesting read delving into the mind of a bud. Also good comparison to western phys. and shows exactly how attaineable true happiness is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decrease unhappiness! Helpful book for a happier life!, 29 Mar 2009
PHILIP MCNALLY (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
If you were given the option would you choose to have AIDS or choose to have a million pounds?

If you choose to become a millionaire, you chose to be LESS happy. Dr Howard Cutler shares a true story in his book of the happy AIDS man and the unhappy millionaire woman. This story shocked, amazed and inspired me. It seems we find it hard to appreciate life unless we are closer to death. This book includes many more gems like this to help us all avoid doing certain things and thinking in certain ways which make us unhappy and START doing certain things and thinking in certain ways to make us more happy.

Unless we learn more about happiness every decision we make could take us closer to our goals (e.g. to be richer) and further away from what we really want- to be happier. It is just like spending years climbing up a ladder and not realising it is against the wrong wall.

Dr Cutler has put together a wonderful and very helpful book. I find myself reading and re-reading so many sections of the book. The book is packed with wisdom from the Dalai Lama, relevant and proven scientific research and some helpful and extremely honest personal stories of Dr Culter's own. Many of his stories do not show him in a good light! Yet, I feel he has skillfully and courageously written and compiled one of the most helpful books on happiness and shown a beacon of light onto a happier path for all of us. For that, I wish to shine a light towards Dr Cutler and say "thank you. I'm impressed and inspired by your book. My life will be better and happier because of your work AND so will the life's of those that I touch".
Phil McNally
Author, `Winning Mentality'

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 July 2014
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
perfect transaction - exactly as described

3.0 out of 5 stars gift book, 3 July 2013
This review is from: The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living (Paperback)
this was purchased as a gift for my sister, she is very happy with it and read it many times

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›

The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living
The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by Howard Cutler (Paperback - 8 Nov 1999)
9.29