4.0 out of 5 stars Good for blokes
Published on 16 May 2003 by hobday4

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong book ordered by me !
I brought this for a friend for her birthday who wanted to learn cookery from the basics and I actually thought it was an update of another book I have had for many years 'Practical Cookery ' which I had at catering college but it wasnt so a tad dissapointed but I may have to take some blame with that. Arrived on time and my friend likes it so I guess thats ok.
Published 4 months ago by Pee B

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for blokes, 16 May 2003
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
This book is great because it gives step by step instructions for every dish. A great plus is that it's obvious all the recipes have been tried out (many cookery books are merely copied from others). This book is used to teach cookery in colleges so anyone should be able to follow it. I borrowed a copy from the head Chef at the four star Polurrian Hotel in Cornwall, where it's used for preparing those set meals served in hotels.
Peter Hobday

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book that covers all the basics, 21 Mar 2001
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
Have used this book as a catering manager and as a teacher teaching GCSE Catering. It provides an insight into the expectations of the catering industry and the colour plates give a range of hints for presentation and serving.
Major criticism is that it can be difficult to find particular recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Everyone, 2 Feb 1999
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my girlfriend (a chef) and all I get is "what a wonderful book". The best present I ever got her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and use, 7 Nov 1998
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
This book I had to use at college every day for four years, and I still use now every day at work the best,and most easy to use catering book I have ever used. Is also good even if you don't work or are training to work in the trade and just want a good basic cookery book to use at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and simple to follow, 20 Feb 2010
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
I am forever borrowing my mums book which she has had for as long as I can remember and now that I have move out of home I am even looking at trying to buy one of these for my self. The recipies are so simple and easy to follow that they are almost impossible to go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Cookery, 15 Mar 2003
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
This is an outstanding reference book in the feild of food preparation. It is a straight forward, well explained guide to the necessary recipes which are needed for NVQ work. It is also a well thought out recipe book of timeless use in a working kitchen & will stand any student or professional in an exellent grounding for the tasks they must perform.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible of the Cook, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
The book is not suitable for absolute beginners as there are specific terms. The coking temperature or the cooking time are not available with all recepies. Excellent guide for those doing Professional Cookery or similar courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars it is a very clear and helpful cookery book, 29 Sep 2000
This review is from: Practical Cookery (Hardcover)
i found this book very clear and helpful to use it gives the recipies in a clear way and shows how and what they are ment to look like. the pictures are clear and useful to all chefs of various levels

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 April 2012
I am a home cook, but I frequently cook for fairly large numbers of people. Out of my top five favourite cookery books it is surprising how many are not written by famousy chefs (Murdoch books Hot Food is a prime example) and having recently been given Galmiche's (quite brilliant) French Brasserie cookbook it occurred to me how a lot of cookery has been about silly recipes and lifestyle lately - Rachel Khoo is changing her dress in every sketch, Raymond Blanc is eulogising endlessly, and don't even get me started on Lorraine Pascale. So, I thought to myself, I'd get something a bit more academic and refresh my basic skills. I bought the 11th edition of this (used) and, quite frankly, it's excellent. Good points: 1) The recipes are easy to follow, 2) There are a LOT of GOOD recipes - I mean a lot, a lot, a lot of recipes, 3) The refreshers on picking ingredients and H&S are invaluable, 4) Where there are pictures they aren't over-styled, so you can see easily what you need to do, 5) It is an academic book, so don't expect lots of pictures and fluffy words, 6) the recipes are eaisly scaleable . Not-so-good: 1) It is an academic book, so don't expect lots of pictures and fluffy words, 2) it is slightly dated in places, 3) it struggles to acknowledge that French cuisine is not as dominant as it was (ie most recipes have French names next to them, probably to do with the curriculum) 4) I would not recommend it to someone who doesn't know the most absic of basics (even though it tells you how to boil an egg). This is a five star book for anyone looking to learn to cook good food well, not just catering students, and if your mum's old "Tricity cooking at home" book has had it, this is the perfect place to get back to the heart of what good cooking is about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 May 2011
I'm currently doing a Level 2 Professional Cookery NVQ and my Catering Manager recommend this book as the Bible whilst she was at college. Despite being in the catering trade for years, i'm finding this book immensely useful. When it arrived I started reading it intending to just flick through. Four hours later and I tried to put it down to get some sleep when I got to the patisserie section (my favourite part of any cookery book). So ended up with around 4 hours of sleep lol.

I've used it every single day since, both at work and at home. It is a fantastically well thought out book and an absolute must for any budding caterer or complete novice.

I especially like the science bits they explain at the beginning of each section. It explained why I've been doing the things I do for years. It's also helped me understand our customers requirements a lot more. It may seem a bit boring at first, but it's still very useful.

A great book which I'd highly recommend to anybody who has the urge to cook.

Practical Cookery
Practical Cookery by David Foskett (Hardcover - 3 April 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01