5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Talent
Published on 30 July 2003 by T S Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment
I was expecting great things from this book. I love books about Japan. I love Japanese authors and I love David Mitchell. I took this on holiday with me as a treat. I was so disappointed. The story of Eiji Miyake's surreal odyssey to find his father, written in episodic, dreamy sequences sandwiched together with moments of Joycean surrealism, smacked of second rate...
Published on 25 Oct 2011 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Talent, 30 July 2003
T S Jones (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
I read a review of this book that wondered how the author managed to get this published. I can only assume that this person is a frustrated, unpublished writer, because this sounds suspiciously like sour grapes to me. I knew David very briefly (and very slightly) when we were teenagers and he was always writing like a dervish even then. It was always clear that he was immensly talented, and these books prove it. I loved this one, and adored 'Ghostwritten' which I've read over and over again. When you finish it you want to go straight back to the beginning and start again. Number9Dream is great, but buy both books, is my advice. I just hope he gives us another book soon, can't wait. And David if you read this, bloody well done, mate.

4.0 out of 5 stars hard to get into........but worth it in the end, 21 Mar 2007
Mike J. Wheeler (Kingswinford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
This is the last of David Mitchell's current output I have read. After being utterly enamoured by 'Cloud Atlas', 'Ghostwritten' and 'Black Swan Green' I was really looking forward to this. I'd have to say though that this is the hardest read of Mitchell's four books. The other three really WERE "unputdownable" but this one I had to give up on half way through and come back to it after a few weeks.

The central figure of the book is Eiji Miyake, a kid from the sticks, and his adventures in the Tokyo metropolis. He arrives in Tokyo on a mission to find his biological father, having lost his twin sister in an accident and been abandoned by his mother. The book tells the story of his seven weeks in Tokyo. The narrative employs Mitchell's trademark magical realism to illustrate Eiji's travails.

Like all of Mitchell's other works, 'Number9dream' is best seen as a collection of tales rather than an uninterrupted story. It flits between reality and Eiji's imagination with ease. I found this fine for the first part of the book but I got lost in the chapter "Study of Tales". For the first time reading Mitchell I didn't get the point! I still don't know what the stories Eiji was reading here were about. Perhaps I'm just not perceptive enough, but this felt like a little bit of Emperor's New Clothes. Hate to be too critical but there you are!

The rest of the book is thoroughly enjoyable and I'm glad I read it. I particularly liked the Yakuza sequences. Very violent, very Manga. The chapter describing the war diaries of Eiji's great uncle was also very well written.

A good book but not as good as the rest of David Mitchell's work. If you're coming to him fresh read 'Cloud Atlas' or 'Ghostwritten' first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, Well Written but Self Concious, 1 July 2009
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
Number 9 Dream is a captivating and intelligent novel, well written - as one would expect from David Mitchell, and with some deep themes. The book is about a Japanese young man who is in search of the father who abandoned his family when he and his twin sister were born. He is also haunted by another significant event of his past.

Through the book, the search for his father gradually bears fruit, but ultimately it becomes clear that this knowledge was never important, as the protagonist - Eiji - comes of age through a series of enlightening experiences.

But this is no ordinary coming of age novel as much of the action takes place in Eiji's head. His dreams are as important to the narrative as the real events - and sometimes its a little tricky to separate what is real from what is imagined.

In the end, we see that the number 9 dream is that which starts after every ending. That is, when the other issues are resolved and Eiji comes out of the dream world and seems to wake up into this world, the 9th dream begins - the beginning of Eiji's real life. (Shades of the much shorter "Dandelion Wine" here!)

Parts of this novel were gripping, and the whole narrative sweeps you along. However it is not my favourite book for various reasons - most notably that this seems to be a rather self conscious attempt to write a Murakami novel by David Mitchell. The very title hints at this. #9 Dream is a song by John Lennon. Murakami, of course, achieved fame through his "Norwegian Wood". Indeed, the dialogue in this book compares #9 Dream with the song Norwegian wood.

Eiji is also found to be reading "Wind Up Bird Chronicle" as he contemplates his death - wondering what will become to the man stuck down the dry well.

And there are many other subtle references to Murakami. The structure of the book has trademark Murakami surrealism. We have love hotels and prostitutes and bad sex. We have the multiple threads and war time reminiscences. At times I thought I actually was reading Murakami.

Anyone who has seen my reviews will know I am not actually a big Murakami fan, because of his tendency to drop all the threads without resolution. Mitchell does not do that - except for the very deliberate new thread that is dropped at the end of chapter 8. But all the same, I think I would prefer to read David Mitchell for David Mitchell. I love his humour, his power of description, his ability to write in different voices, and his understanding of how to write a good story.

This book contained all of the above, but I hope his future works are less self consciously derivative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anime in Fiction, 11 Jun 2008
A. Bowers "Natalie Galluccio" (Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
This book hit me with a refreshing karate chop to my senses. Just when I thought new fiction was getting a bit stale, here comes Mitchell. The plot line to this story is pretty one-dimensional and straight foreward; a young man in search for his father, But The truly delectable bits are Mitchell's description of Tokyo; it's streets, characters and plethara of small details are offered to the reader in multitude. Like an action anime cartoon or a martial arts film, Mitchell manages to string along so many interesting tangents into his seemingly simple story. However, it's not about reading it to find out what happens next and here I must warn you: if you are expecting a clear beginning, middle and end-type book, then look elsewhere as the sequence of events are not wholly linear. It could get frustrating at times as the tangents are long, and beautiful. Nevertheless, it manages to keep the reader in suspense and wondering what happens next. Overall, a great experience and I thank Mitchell of painstakingly taking me with him to Tokyo. A truly magnanimous success.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a second reading at least., 8 Jan 2007
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
Having read Mitchell's previous novels (Cloud Atlas, BlackSwanGreen, and Ghostwritten - in that order) I approached Number9Dream with caution, knowing that I might be waiting some time for his next novel.

This book is both similar yet very different from the other books. The blend of fantasy and reality, as well as various characters and associated writing styles, makes for what is at times a very confusing story.

The scenes involving the Yakuza just came out of nowhere and got me straight between the eyes - some of the sickest violent scenes I've read.

I haven't read any of Haruki Murakami's novels, but judging by the comparisons made by other reviewers I shall add them to my list.

Number9Dream plays out like a David Lynch film - the weirdness within may not be fully comprehensible, but we find ourselves going back for another viewing, and another, and another....

I shall make a point of re-reading this very fine and recommended novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never the same book twice., 5 Sep 2002
S. Dean "Stew Dean" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
The layers in this book keep you wanting to read. The jumping between different times, different environments, different realities. It is a very visual book and sometimes very perplexing. The grim realities of cheap noodles are set against fantasy computer games, clearly removed from reality.
AS it states on the cover - yes you do wonder if it all was a dream but either way it doesn not disapoint. A more narrative book than ghostwriter.

5.0 out of 5 stars And it's funny as well!, 3 Oct 2001
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
Few or none of the other reviews mention that this book will make you wet yourself!
The 'escape from the Love Hotel' sequence is worthy of Lucky Jim period Kingsley Amis.
Eagerly awaiting the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fizzing, multitextured, overwhelming and human story, 31 July 2001
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
In Ghostwritten Mitchell excelled when confronted with the Other; in the superb opening tale of a Japanese subway bombing, or the epic story of a soul's journey through many hosts in its search for its origin. That novel failed when the basic components were familiar, when the plot and characters occupied recognisable spaces, and when Mitchell overreached in terms of the variety of tales he told. In Number9dream the book achieves a degree of unity - it basically follows the story of a young man looking for his father in Tokyo, this plotline interrupted, delayed, sped up and dropped by other voices and stories that want to be heard. Tokyo is described in terms of an opaque, fast, towering underworld, a reference to the subterranean region of the mind accessible through dreams. Therefore, as Eiji experiences a psychological resolution to his quest, by returning to his starting point, can Tokyo's complex, overwhelming landscape be razed to the ground. The novel is verbally lush, some sections extraordinary (the double date, the kaiten pilot's diary), whereas some parts are weaker, owing again to familiarity (movie-ish false start opening chapter) or overreaching in style (the goatwriter sections). However, it is a beautiful book, full of amusing, lovely, believable and complicated characters, and Eiji as protagonist reacts always with a reassuring lack of pretension to the mad, unreal reality that he occupies in the loud, overcrowded city.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 25 Oct 2006
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
I gave up on "Cloud Atlas" but gave "Black Swan Green" a go and absolutely loved it. I bought this one as I'd read reviews comparing it to Haruki Murakami, of whom I am a huge fan.

So is it like Murakami? In some ways, yes. There are a number of sections where you are not sure if the events portrayed are real or imaginary, and there are some shockingly violent scenes. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely. In fact, I couldn't put it down, and enjoyed it so much that I even went out and bought "Cloud Atlas" to try it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Second Novel - but could have been shorter ..., 14 Feb 2002
This review is from: Number9dream (Paperback)
David Mitchell is clearly a very talented writer. Ghostwritten was an extraordinary and moving book, which deserved all the plaudits it received. "Number9dream" is also a fine book, which I'd recommend to anyone, though I think Ghostwritten is the better book.
The central story is a young guy up from the country to Tokyo (popular location for young male English writers...) to find the father he never knew. Sounds dull and cliched but it isn't. Naturally there's baggage: a dead twin sister, an alcoholic mother who abandoned them at a young age, family feuds - and these are dealt with with a sensitive touch. The main character is likeable, as are many of the supporting cast.
Great though this book is, though, I can't help feeling that there's a better book inside it waiting to get out ... that it needed to be trimmed a little, and tightened up. For example - and I'm quite prepared to believe that I'm just missing something here - to me the "Goatwriter" sections added nothing to the book as a whole or the story and just seemed like a self-indulgent exercise at writing in a particular (and highly irritating) style. Other sections just looked as if they were creative writing exercises that were put in for effect, again adding nothing ... you can't always get away with this by just calling it a dream sequence.
A lot of the story gets pretty improbable: I think I counted three occasions on which the main character could have been killed by yakuza but was freed - come on, which is a pity since that detracts from the book as a whole. Some characters just kind of fizzle out too, having looked as though they might play a bigger role. I'm thinking especially of Yuzu Daimon, whom I was actually looking forward to seeing more of. Maybe in the sequel, eh?
Anyway, never mind this carping - buy this book, and buy Ghostwritten too. I hope he's working on the next one.

Number9dream
Number9dream by David Mitchell (Paperback - 11 May 2006)
6.29