• Shhh!

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2005
My 3 year old thinks this one is hilarious - I think the appeal is much more for children than for the adults who read it to them (which is as it should be, I suppose).I think this one might be a good book to buy to help get a reluctant child interested in books. It's basically about a trip through a scary giant's castle and each page is another step towards the giant. There are lots of windows where your child can look back to check they didn't wake the person in the last room, etc and eventually of course, the child reading the book disturbs the sleeping giant and you have to shut the book quickly to escape. It's a very clever idea and great fun for small children.
on 4 October 2005
I have worked in a Pre-School for 24 years and this is by far their favourite book. The children sit there quietly and as you read the book they are hooked! "Shh....you must be quite now or the giants wife might here us"
The flaps inside are great....but some need a hand to hold when they see the giants big eye! When you get to the end, the first words spoken are usually "Can you read it again"
on 7 October 2000
this book is a definite must for all teachers who wish to keep children captivated.Keep the children involved in the story and keep their youngs minds i suspense,checking to see if the giant is asleep.
on 24 August 2005
My 2-year-old went from scared, to delighted, to completed obsessed, to reciting it from memory in the course of two weeks when we got this from the library. We had to renew the book three times and then buy a copy.
It's cleverly constructed and huge fun.
on 25 February 2007
this book has been in our family for at least 10 years, we pass it around as our family grows and it is absolutly loved by all.

i now work in a preschool and every time we have reading time the group pleads me to read it to them- over and over and over again!

its very exciting and scary but the best thing is that at the end when the giant comes after us we can just SHUT THE BOOK!!!
on 10 July 2006
My 3 year old borrowed this book from nursery and won't give it back. I've had to buy a copy to replace it. She has 100s of books but finds this one hilarious and reads it over and over again.
Quite an unknown, but a great twist on the giant tale. Really enjoyed this interactive story with my son.

Through the book, the reader tells a listener to 'shhh!' to avoid waking / disturbing various people / animals around the giant's castle, and then to check using the flaps that they are undistrubed. But when we come to the giant - there may be a surprise in store - even I jumped the first time!

Great fun to read, as it really is interactive and promotes discussion and lots of fhushed voices. All the characters are giant-sized, we see everything as though very very small, which is unusual in that you FEEL small looking at each page, especially with the flaps included.

An abrupt ending - my son wanted me to turn the page again - but we did enjoy it. Encourages imagination and make-believe, and I really liked it as a reader. One for ages 2-5.