5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing texts, 29 Aug 2002
David Lloyd (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bury Me in My Boots (Paperback)
I first read this book in the 1960s as an impressionable teenager. It sparked a social conscience and a desire to help make a difference. From the time I read it I was inspired to do voluntary work and to become a political activist. Sally Trench's
writing lit a flame in me and took me on a long personal journey.
The experience of the 1980s left me feeling disillusioned with politics and public service. Yet reading the book again at the beginning of a new century has inspired me again to want to make a difference. A timeless text , superbly eloquent and deeply committed to the cause of humanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sally Trench,star of Simonwell, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: Bury Me in My Boots (Paperback)
When Sally came to Simonwell Farm at Street,in Kent,part of the three tier system the Simon Community has for recovering alcoholics and others, she sat beside me at the living room fireplace gazing into the fire.At once it was obvious seeing them together that she was Anton's (Anton Wallich Clifford) special concern being his fiancee at the time.I was what was classed as a Simon worker at the farm,working with and counselling the many people who whether residents,casual visitors or at points in the soup run came to us for help and got it. As such and in other places,other ways,I knew many of the characters,featured in Sally's book.Many of these became friends,some even became dangerous friends for though Sally' book has stories of these men and women sadly only a fraction of their stories can be told in these few pages.Still as a worker I was in all the places Sally writes about and worked ate ,eat and slept in the same house or shelter as many of them and was for a while until I left Simon a Shelter Leader myself in Exeter at Gabriel's Wharf.
I knew these men,some of them I was with at their beds until they died,saying through my tears a prayer for their souls.My reading then of Sally's book is a personal one,old faces come before me,old times nudge against me and I am always moved to read it yet and yet again .Cardboard City still exists in London," the poor... "as Jesus so wisely and so sadly said "are always with us" and Sally's book is a testimony to that and not only to her own grit and determination but to her compassion which I saw in great abundance.This is a book that sings about those who dare not,cannot yet sing for themselves in terms of a life worth living,it is a book to read read and read again and to think and to pray.I cannot too highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sally and Simon- The Saviour and the Stranger, 25 July 2008
This review is from: BURY ME IN MY BOOTS. (Hardcover)
When I first met and talked to Sally we were sitting beside the fire at Simonwell Farm- the third tier centre as Anton Wallich Clifford describes it for it was for recovering alcoholics (and others) who were by now dry and hopefully staying dry.There were many of us who had felt the desire to work with the homeless and rootless and Simon then was a large community with centres in England Scotland and Ireland.For my own part I had seen as a young child growing up in Argyll Scotland the way the tinkers or as they are called now the travelling people were treated.I was fortunate enough to be invited into their tents, forage with them for food at times, work alongside with them in the fields picking potatoes,whelks from the sea, and pearls in the rivers. I travelled with them on the road when my father would let me.As I now was I had become a worker with Simon and was in a rest period at the farm. Sally made an instant impression on me and I knew I would enjoy working with her at the various projects of Simon as we were both of the same mind and of religous persuasion.We spent some time together in Simonwell Farm but as I remember it I was to go off at that point to be Shelter Leader in Exeter whereas she was probably or possibly to be in London at either St Josephs house in Malden road or at Schlater Street which was a extremely basic"wet" shelter.It was with great enjoyment some years later I read this book again for many old and loved faces and friends are featured in it.It was not easy,these years as a worker and Leader in Simon and sometimes downright dangerous.I remember being grateful to God for my fleetness of foot having been chased around a long table by Horse at Schlater Street and he had within him a great deal of meths at the time and in his hand a very businesslike meat cleaver.This book is an eye opener and a treasure to me of my own time in Simon for I laughed and cried, sorrowed for those who had died and stood by those who were dying.There was not only the ravages of alcohol but the deadly sore of heroin addiction and psychological disintegration and psychiatric disorder which swallowed up many a young life in these days and sadly still does. This is the underbelly of even poverty and we do well if we recognise it in these pages and even more if we do something about it.In the intervening years it has not gone away.Read this book,pray about it and think about it.You are as much needed now as we were then. The address is The Simon Community 129 Malden Road,(off Prince of Wales Road) Chalk Farm London or any of the other centres.Give to them if you cannot give yourself.

Bury Me in My Boots
Bury Me in My Boots by Sally Trench (Paperback - 19 Aug 1999)
6.98
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available