on 16 December 2012
I wanted, so much, to enjoy this book. Having read Colonel Sun more years ago than I care to remember, I had expected that this book might please me as much. Sadly, no.
It reads as though the author has been dictating the story to a machine and the pace takes you at whirlwind speed beyond character development and plot subtleties. And why oh why did he insist on using American spelling throughout. Check for cheque. Favor for favour. For heavens sake, Bond is British !.
I had saved the remainder of this collection to my wish list but I guess I can delete those now. I'm not even sure that I can bring myself to finish this one.
on 1 March 2008
This is Bond on the Eiger Sanction/Cliffhanger outing. He has absolutely nothing to do with how the plot develops but goes climbing in the Himalaya's to get back some McGuffin. Everything unfolds ala John Gardner in Man From Barbaraossa, in that anything Bond does has no effect on the outcome. Furthermore, not a trace of uncertainty crosses his mind on this adventure regarding the fact his parents were killed mountain climbing. I have enjoyed other Benson/Bond novels, but this was a low point.
on 17 April 2000
I enjoyed this book and think it is arguably the best of the post-Fleming Bonds. But am I alone in thinking that the policy of constantly updating Bond is a mistake? Fictional characters belong in a particular time and place. Sherlock Holmes belongs in the world of gaslights and hansom cabs and James Bond belongs in the cold war era of the fifties and early sixties - not in the early 21st century!
on 16 September 1999
For me this was a very disappointing book. I thought it started well with lots of action and detail but soon petered out to a wordy tome with action in fits a starts and a poor finale. Marquis as the villain was cardboard and Bond made some big mistakes. He would never compromise SIS rules by forming a relationship with his PA, no matter how desirable, and they have all been that. Raymond Benson has produced vintage James Bond prior to this, almost to Ian Fleming standard - no one get be quite as good as the master - this lets him down. I don't suppose my lack of interest in mountain climbing helped but I found the passages on the climb, a big chunk of the book, very slow and what action that did take place lacked the usual Bond detail. "The Facts of Death" had pace, action, detail and Bondness as did Benson's other Bond books. "High Time to Kill" seems to have suffered from altitude sickness. I look forward to "The World Is Not Enough" and hope both Messrs. Bond and Benson are back on track.
on 25 January 2000
The problem with ghost writing and/or taking over the mantle of a famous and popular hero by fans of the character is that, more often than not, they do not have the same life experiences from which to draw upon for stories and characters, and more importantly, they do not have any natural ability to weave and tell a story. What they do have is the ability to inject into the passage, historical footnotes of all the past literary adventures which only denotes a "Knowledge" of the given subject matter. Unfortunately, that is not enough.
There also seems a desire to close the gap between the literary and filmic character of James Bond through references to Brioni suits et al. All very boring....
on 19 January 2006
I have always loved the Bond Films so one day i thought i'd give the books a shot. I read Zero Minus Ten and thought it was really good. So I thought i'd have a go at another. I couldn't get hold of The Facts Of Death at the time so I got High Time To Kill. It starts off really well, and the chapter Bitter Suite is really thrilling. But as it goes on it starts to get really boring and the villan Marquis is a bit wooden. But still it's not awful