on 30 June 2004
Love it! Interesting and, above all, HELPFUL! Here's what other Mumsnet.com parents say: "This is one of the most important books I've read since having my son. It's full of really helpful information and tips from professionals and, very important, the experiences of parents themselves. It covers all sorts of important issues that rarely get a mention in most childcare books - like emotional support for kids going through a hard time, supporting learning without pushing them too hard, food issues, squabbling, bullying, school issues". "Good for new baby up to 11 years. I like its tone." "It's supportive, a bit like talking to friends, and not at all preachy - it treats parents as intelligent life forms. I couldn't recommend it enough."
on 6 March 2007
Easy to read. Points interestingly and simply summed up. confidence building material. As a young mum who really didnt have a clue about children I found this essential, but I think even know it all mums and dads would find some useful stuff in here, the subjects are wide ranging and sensitively handled. Its easy to find what you want and Its full of great tips. Also sums up very clearly why smacking is COMPLETELY UNECESSARY if you have an open, loving relationship where you are the adult, not a big kid.
on 2 March 2004
I work in magazine publishing and read an advance copy of this book, which greatly expands and updates the 1999 original. What makes this book unique is that is synthesizes a wide variety of parentel experience without diluting it; it doesn't preach from the altar of "expert" experience so common to parenting books, and it's not another dramatic parental memoir. I have five kids and every one is so different I could have used 10 book for each one. A good start for a new mum trying to connect with her baby. My favorite more recent book about parenting is"I Sleep At Red Lights: A True Story of Life After Triplets," by Bruce Stockler, a deceptively brilliant book that examines why parenting is such a life-changing experience. Also, told from the Dad's point of view, very rich with emotion and detail. Laugh out loud funny with great characters.
on 20 April 2007
Like the reviewer before, this book was very important to me when I had my first child. I've just bought their second book, Raising Happy Brothers and Sisters, as I've now got two sons. Thought I'd mention it as it doesn't seem to be listed on this page. It won the Independent's parenting book award and I can see why. Full of important + helpful stuff about supporting siblings from before the second baby's born to adolescence. Highly recommended.
on 20 February 2010
Brilliant book. Got it from library to begin with but renewed it sooo many times. so i thought I would buy it as it's like a back up book for me. If your way is is about listening to your child, and not about time keeping, this would be a good book for you too. It's not patronising and easy to read. Things apply now for your baby and for later on. It's a book that will last for years!
on 4 September 2012
I enjoyed this book and most of the advice given makes sense. The book uses a friendly, non-judgemental tone which makes it easy to read. My main problem with it is that it advocates the use of homoeopathy for certain problems with babies. I have difficulty taking anyone's advice seriously after they endorse such charlatanism. Other than that major loss of credibility- it is a good read.
on 7 May 2013
Reasonably logical child-raising info for confused parents written in a comprehensible way. Easy to dip into even after putting it down for a few weeks.
on 30 October 2014
Fantastic book with practical easy to follow advice. Arrived when it was supposed to in good order.
on 29 December 2014
bought for my daughter (and grand-daughter). my daughter likes it
on 6 February 2016