5.0 out of 5 stars A Leeds fan who (arm up my back!!) recommends this book
I am a Leeds United season ticket holder - so why did I pick up a book from the manager of our rivals? - Maybe I am a little macarbe but mainly I do enjoy football literature.
Published on 7 Aug 2001 by leedsutd40@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Alex Ferguson autobiography
Not as good as a biography I read by Michael crick. Suffers from being a bit over cautious, I.e over his sacking at st mirren, he could have been a bit more gung-ho.
Published 6 months ago by Paul Buchan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Leeds fan who (arm up my back!!) recommends this book, 7 Aug 2001
As a partisan fan I can't help thinking that Mr Ferguson is abit of a moaner and really sections of this book back-up that myth -- he never really does give Leeds the credit of winning the title but that Man U lost it and injuries and the Sun (yes the yellow ball in the sky) has alot to answer for!!
But to be perfectly honest this is a compelling read tracing the mans life and the first 250 pages deal with his formative years and his career in Scotland. I agree that he is forthright but the questions the previous reviewer mentioned are never explored.
A worthwhile piece of football literature for ALL football fans if they can stomach it. Well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a eye opening, riveting read., 30 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Managing My Life: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
This book is not 100% soccer. It has a lot of substance to it. The first couple of chapters are all about what life was like growing up in a rough part of Glasgow. Basically Alex Ferguson has had a really colourful life and this book is more than just soccer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive , triumphant autobiography, 10 Nov 2002
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is not exactly a "page turner" , but it is well worth reading. Sir Alex Ferguson emerges from it not only as a phenomenally successful football manager , but as a genuinely impressive human being. I enjoyed his early life story in particular , probably because his later life is now so familiar. My first recollections of Ferguson were when he managed St Mirren to some successes in the 70's and was largely unaware of his relatively successful playing career with St Johnstone , Dunfermline, Rangers et al.The novel traces his playing career and skilfully interweaves it with details of his personal life and comments and opinions on the people he encounted along the way.His full life included stints as a toolmaker and pub manager in Glasgow. A picture develops of an energetic ,determined,competitive, tactically skilful and honest man who commands and displays loyalty and is a master motivator. Ferguson watched and learned from people like Jock Stein over the years and acknowledges such influences throughout the book.
"The Treble" Man.Utd. achieved in 1999 begins and ends the story and will always be the highpoint of Ferguson's career and the Man Utd success story of the past decade is covered in detail with interesting insights into his dealings with Ince , Kanchelskis , Cantona etc.
Sir Alex Ferguson emerges from this book as an impressive figure. There is no trace of arrogance in the story, from a man who came up through the lowliest ranks of Scottish clubs in his playing and management career. As his management career draws to an end this well-written book is a worthy tribute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book About a Great Manager, 22 Mar 2007
Despite not being an avid supporter of Manchester United I have always been very keen to have an insight into the life and times of club's greatest ever manager.

The book clearly portrays the great mans early days and his tough upbringing in Govan, Glasgow. Uniquely, in a city which had major religous differences Alex's parents were from a mixed marriage. We get a great insight into Alex's early footballing life and the tough times that his family endured in surviving.
A fascinating discussion about Alex Ferguson's time as a player were amongst other clubs represented Glasgow Rangers. Even as a player we could to realize that he had a volatile temperament which would continue to serve him as a natural football leader.

From success at the unfashionable Aberdeen football Club to the pressures of managing one of the biggest sports clubs in the world Alex remains how much his childhood upbringing continues to be a major backbone of his life.

A truly great read into the one of soccers most respected characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Makes Him Tick, 17 Dec 2002
A lot of people myself included do not know of Alex Fergusons early beginnings. It was interesting to read how he started at the bottom and worked his way up through sheer grit, determination and being able to nurture his players.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great read 15 years on..., 6 July 2014
This is the old version (c. 1999) written just after Man Utd did the treble - still a fantastic read though and in fact I found it more enjoyable and well-written than Ferguson's more recent book, which was a tad more rushed and simplistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 24 April 2014
Amazon Customer (Worthing, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Managing My Life: My Autobiography (Hardcover)
Bought as a present for a football fan in his 90s who is enjoying the read. Bought as a present for a football fan in his 90s who is enjoying the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 27 Mar 2014
a very good read book was in very poor condition couple pages missing but it was a read and throw away book because it was in a poor condition to give to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 8 Mar 2014
A MUST for any football fan to read. Fantastic input to the man of the game master plan. I take my hat of to him

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 4 Mar 2014
Mr. Andrew Richardson (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
good book on the early stages of fergies career, interesting read, gets more footbally and modern as you get on,
definately essential for any avid united fan

Managing My Life: My Autobiography
Managing My Life: My Autobiography by Alex Ferguson (Hardcover - 10 Aug 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01