4.0 out of 5 stars Great first novel
Published on 6 Jan. 2006 by Derrick Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT such a legendary book
Okay, my first foray into the world of Lad Lit came only in November 2011 with a self-published book that had me literally crying with laughter. The book was so good that I immediately started looking at other male `Lad Lit' authors and Mike Gayle was one that I had heard of and was incredibly popular.

With that in mind I decided to try his debut novel My...
Published on 12 Jan. 2012 by Best Crime Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first novel, 6 Jan. 2006
Derrick Johnson (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
Firstly I must commend Mr Gayle for writing a romantic novel from the male perpective. No doubt there must male writers of this genre in the market place, but they don't spring to mind.Having read some of the reviews for this book, I can understand that the main protanganist,Will, can get a little bit irksome. But, I didn't find that to be the case. I enjoyed the various characters that amble into Wills life. I also loved the ending that caught me by surprise. A great first novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT such a legendary book, 12 Jan. 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)

With that in mind I decided to try his debut novel My Legendary Girlfriend that he first published back in 1998. Very early on we are introduced to Will Kelly, the only real `character' so to speak in the book. We get the lowdown on his truly depressing life, his awful flat and his agony over his ex-girlfriend.

Very early on I found myself disliking Will, all he seemed to do was moan about literally everything, and I had no sympathy for him whatsoever. I figured that this must be the lead up to where the character develops and the reader ends up seeing the turnaround. No such luck for me on that front.

The most frustrating thing is that nothing much happens. I get the impression this was meant to be a mans take on the Bridget Jones style kind of diary; however this is the furthest from that example in my opinion. Seeing as I was over halfway through the book and not feeling anything towards the character, I gave the book a break for a day and hoped I would return with a better feeling.

Sadly, when I returned and ploughed through (that's what it felt like), I finished it with an overwhelming feeling of disappointment. The writing was good, and there were certainly moments that made me chuckle, but that alone was not enough for me to actually feel like I enjoyed the book.

Overall, I can honestly say that this book was unmemorable at best and boring at worst. The writing and moments of humour are enough for me to try another Mike Gayle, after all as this was his debut novel and he now has a solid fan base I would like to give a newer book a try and hope that maybe it was just this particular book that wasn't my cup of tea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, brings back memories, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
I have to admit that I found very much of myself in Mike Gayle's main character from "My Legendary Girlfriend".

It really poked fun at how hard it is to forget someone you were really in love with, how one tends to compare the past experiences with current ones, never letting the present shine in its full potential, and how normal individuals, with ups and downs, become "legendary' just because we are no longer with them.

It's a light read, full of humour and very pertinent observations about being a male in your late twenties, being single and at times miserable...

Also a nice read by him is Mr Commitment. I look forward to trying others by him!

5.0 out of 5 stars UN-PUT-DOWNABLE! Everyone should read it!, 7 Jun. 2000
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
It was so like my life! I couldn't stop reading it. I now have bought his other book, even though money is short - I just HAD to! I am now waiting impatiently for his new book in August 2000. I would recommend EVERYONE to read this author. I'm just sorry he has only written 3 books - PLEASE write more Mr Gayle! I am passing this book on to anyone I can...especially my kind-of -ex boyfriend. He never reads books and so, if he can read it, then that is a BIG recommendation in itself. Mr Gayles observations are great! From a 33yr old single female- a BIGnew-recruited fan x

5.0 out of 5 stars everybody's own life story......well mine anyway, 26 April 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
Mike Gayle has produced possibly one of the greatest books that I have ever read. My identification with the character was almost spooky. Men should read this book to see how much of themselves they see, Women should read this book to see how much of their partners they see, and anyone who has been in love should read this book to just realise life.

5.0 out of 5 stars We have all been dumped, right?, 26 Mar. 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
This is a book I recommend to all my friends, male and female. It is full of wit, insight and moments of self recognition and yet it is actually quite depressing, sort of, but not really. I kept asking myself, have I ever been this miserable? I, and everybody else who has been dumped (who hasn't), can only answer that question with... YES! Thank god I have never been moping around for three years after I happened though, but I recognize the feeling. I really liked the way the characters are portrayed. I felt for all of them. I think this is a very important book to read if you are pining for a long gone girlfriend. Even though I do not think this book is as funny and original as "Bridget Jones Diary" I tell you all, READ THIS BOOK!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 21 Sept. 2010
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
I find Mike Gayle's books (Wish you were here, Life of the party, His 'n Hers) engaging so of course I wanted to read My Legendary Girlfriend aswel. I was even offended to see the book in a Dutch bookstore (in Dutch) for a very low bargain price. As a wannabe writer I was hurt on Mr. Gayle's behalf. When I started reading I became worried how long it was going to take the main caracter Will Kelly, to get his act together. I could relate to his suffering because around the same age I had a similar heartache. So in that regard I got tight up in the story. But upon further reading I became annoyed. Time was moving soooo slow. When was he actually going to do something? At times I just lost interest in the book for some days and continued reading in other books. But I kept some interest in the story so I returned. Today I finished it. I have to say that I applaud Mr. Gayle's convincing way of discribing Will Kelly and his troubles. It has proved, based on the comments here, that it is very tricky to discribe four days in a book of 368 pages. Than it probably comes done to personal likes or dislikes. I think sixty pages less would have improved the book. Even better would have been a visit by an interesting caracter. That most likely would have put or kept some pace in the overall story. I see the comparison with Bridget Jones Diary. I myself was thinking about "Adrian Mole's Secret Diary" and "Growing pains of Adrian Mole."

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect..., 8 April 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
I bought this book because I found the title real nice, it was like love with the first sight, I felt the book was good and it is. It is simply perfect: funny, romantic, touching and Will Kelly is simply adorable. I think I'm going to read it again (I didn't finished it yet, only 20 pages left...)If you believe in Real Love or if you love being in love, this book is for you...

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Love Hexagon, 2 Oct. 2009
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
The entire book is set over less than four days in the life of one guy, shockingly enough the main character actually does experience enough love life ups, downs and complete reversals to keep it up. Fortunately its set in the telephone era, if he needed to do the things he did in person, it would have taken him years!

From virtually the start you have an inkling of how it should end, but until close to the end I was almost convinced it wasnt going to follow its appointed path and was going to be a disappointing ending, by which I mean a sad one rather than a happy one. As it turns out its a proper old fashioned fairytale ending, ticking all the right boxes.

Gayle lets you turn the pages easily, keeps you fairly hooked, but this book does make you wait possibly a little longer than necessary to get to its point.

However, the style is fun, the events come rapidly enough and there are some good laughs. Worth a punt.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think anyone could think like me. Until now..., 7 April 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
I've just finished reading My Legendary Girlfriend and I thought it was just brilliant. Mike Gayle is a gem of a writer - his prose is fast and witty and his tale tragi-comic, an all-too-true tale of love, regret and well, more regret.
They say comedy works best through identification with the character - well; Will is me, (which is quite clever cos I'm a girl) and probably, at least at some point in your life, he's been you too...intelligent (surely?), but just a little misguided; ever and always hopeful of a reconciliation with The One That Got Away.
What's special here, I think, is Gayle's ability to do two things.He skillfully evokes empathy in the reader for Will's predicament, effortlessly calling up those moments where we've cringed as relationships go so wrong then - ouch! - with one turn of his black comedy knife he allows laughter to spill from our guts with some classy one liners and observations of modern twentysomething life.
So can I recommend this book without reservations? But of course. As Will is known to quote 'No Problemo Mr Spaceman'...And you never know. Perhaps my One That Got Away will read it too...

My Legendary Girlfriend
My Legendary Girlfriend by Mike Gayle (Paperback - 4 Feb. 1999)