4.0 out of 5 stars Great first novel
Published on 6 Jan 2006 by Derrick Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars Winging teacher seeks 'The One' and a slap
An excellent example of Eye-Candy.
After a hundred or so pages of listening to Will's pining over his ex of three years, I frankly gave up caring if he hooked back up with his so called 'legendary girlfriend', or gave up women altogether and joined the priest-hood. His winging about his ex, and just life in general just makes you want to slap him.
There were...
Published on 6 Oct 1999 by duncanwhite@england.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first novel, 6 Jan 2006
Derrick Johnson (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
Firstly I must commend Mr Gayle for writing a romantic novel from the male perpective. No doubt there must male writers of this genre in the market place, but they don't spring to mind.Having read some of the reviews for this book, I can understand that the main protanganist,Will, can get a little bit irksome. But, I didn't find that to be the case. I enjoyed the various characters that amble into Wills life. I also loved the ending that caught me by surprise. A great first novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars UN-PUT-DOWNABLE! Everyone should read it!, 7 Jun 2000
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
It was so like my life! I couldn't stop reading it. I now have bought his other book, even though money is short - I just HAD to! I am now waiting impatiently for his new book in August 2000. I would recommend EVERYONE to read this author. I'm just sorry he has only written 3 books - PLEASE write more Mr Gayle! I am passing this book on to anyone I can...especially my kind-of -ex boyfriend. He never reads books and so, if he can read it, then that is a BIG recommendation in itself. Mr Gayles observations are great! From a 33yr old single female- a BIGnew-recruited fan x

5.0 out of 5 stars everybody's own life story......well mine anyway, 26 April 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
Mike Gayle has produced possibly one of the greatest books that I have ever read. My identification with the character was almost spooky. Men should read this book to see how much of themselves they see, Women should read this book to see how much of their partners they see, and anyone who has been in love should read this book to just realise life.

5.0 out of 5 stars We have all been dumped, right?, 26 Mar 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
This is a book I recommend to all my friends, male and female. It is full of wit, insight and moments of self recognition and yet it is actually quite depressing, sort of, but not really. I kept asking myself, have I ever been this miserable? I, and everybody else who has been dumped (who hasn't), can only answer that question with... YES! Thank god I have never been moping around for three years after I happened though, but I recognize the feeling. I really liked the way the characters are portrayed. I felt for all of them. I think this is a very important book to read if you are pining for a long gone girlfriend. Even though I do not think this book is as funny and original as "Bridget Jones Diary" I tell you all, READ THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, brings back memories, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
I have to admit that I found very much of myself in Mike Gayle's main character from "My Legendary Girlfriend".

It really poked fun at how hard it is to forget someone you were really in love with, how one tends to compare the past experiences with current ones, never letting the present shine in its full potential, and how normal individuals, with ups and downs, become "legendary' just because we are no longer with them.

It's a light read, full of humour and very pertinent observations about being a male in your late twenties, being single and at times miserable...

Also a nice read by him is Mr Commitment. I look forward to trying others by him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect..., 8 April 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
I bought this book because I found the title real nice, it was like love with the first sight, I felt the book was good and it is. It is simply perfect: funny, romantic, touching and Will Kelly is simply adorable. I think I'm going to read it again (I didn't finished it yet, only 20 pages left...)If you believe in Real Love or if you love being in love, this book is for you...

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't think anyone could think like me. Until now..., 7 April 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
I've just finished reading My Legendary Girlfriend and I thought it was just brilliant. Mike Gayle is a gem of a writer - his prose is fast and witty and his tale tragi-comic, an all-too-true tale of love, regret and well, more regret.
They say comedy works best through identification with the character - well; Will is me, (which is quite clever cos I'm a girl) and probably, at least at some point in your life, he's been you too...intelligent (surely?), but just a little misguided; ever and always hopeful of a reconciliation with The One That Got Away.
What's special here, I think, is Gayle's ability to do two things.He skillfully evokes empathy in the reader for Will's predicament, effortlessly calling up those moments where we've cringed as relationships go so wrong then - ouch! - with one turn of his black comedy knife he allows laughter to spill from our guts with some classy one liners and observations of modern twentysomething life.
So can I recommend this book without reservations? But of course. As Will is known to quote 'No Problemo Mr Spaceman'...And you never know. Perhaps my One That Got Away will read it too...

2.0 out of 5 stars Winging teacher seeks 'The One' and a slap, 6 Oct 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
An excellent example of Eye-Candy.
There were a few mildly amusing passages which most people will be able to relate to, but I expected a lot more from this, and was frankly left disappointed.
Given the lack of depth, I ripped through this is less than a day. So I can only recommend this if your going long-haul soon, and want a no-brainer to get you through the flight....

2.0 out of 5 stars Slick writing with pseudo-soul., 30 April 1999
This review is from: My Legendary Girlfriend (Paperback)
Mike Gayle states in the blurb on the back of the book that he is an ex-teen agony uncle. His writing style owes a lot to that background. He pulls the right strings and goes through the motions, indeed he is capable of some truly funny moments but he does not seem to be able to create the sort of world in which the reader can really believe in the characters. They are all to a greater or lesser degree sketchily drawn and two dimensional. The story would have worked as a magazine article but lacked the emotional depth, and honesty to be any more than a not unpleasant way to spend a few hours. Like bubble gum harmless enough but not particularly good for you and pretty forgetable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slick writing with pseudo-soul., 30 April 1999

My Legendary Girlfriend
My Legendary Girlfriend by Mike Gayle (Paperback - 4 Feb 1999)
6.99