5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
What an unusual and beautiful style of writing David Almond has. I was completely unprepared for how amazing this book is. The blurb does no justice to the content of this book. This book is pure magic. Pure imagination.
Published on 14 April 2005 by Nancy Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Skellig review
Skellig is a very magical book but also repetitve.Skellig is unrealistic,strange and interesting.The characters are very different in their own ways.Mina makes the book kind of educational to smaller kids.The author has made the book very gripping and unforgettable.There are parts that are powerful and stunning to read.
Published on 15 Nov 2005 by charlotte

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 14 April 2005
This review is from: Skellig (Paperback)
On first opening Skellig I was shocked at how short the chapters were but the beauty of them is that they keep you hooked. It is so fast paced that it is almost impossible to put down.
The story is full of intelligence and real life with a touch of those extraordinary and chaotic things that bind the story together. [The wonderful William Blake quotes, the story of our wings, the metaphorical connections and then of course there's Skellig.] The real magic though, is in the characters. The genuine honest emotions layered between each of them is refreshing to read.
This book blew me away. I highly recommend Skellig to anyone. If you are looking for something a bit different, try this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! A must for children and adults of all ages., 4 Jun 2002
By A Customer
Both my chldren were gripped by this book as well as myself. Indeed, I was reading this book to my dyslexic son of 11 years and finished the book myself before I had finished reading it to him. He thought it was excellent. I then went on to read it to my six-year-old daughter who also found it gripping and did not want me to put the book down. The short chapters are great when reading it to kids as they provide a good place to stop when bed-time reading. Mixing reality with fantasy, the story reveals a wonderful sensitivity between the charachters and leaves you with a feeling that this is what life should be about!

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 28 May 2004
This review is from: Skellig (Paperback)
I loved this book. It was beautiful.
I first read it when I was ten, but even now, when I am 15, I still return to this book.
It's hard to describe why exactly I like this book. There are so many things. I think it was the beauty of David Almond's writing that captured me first. He has a wonderful imagination and his style of writing is richly descriptive. When you are reading this book, you can't help but be caught up in this endearing story.
Then it was the story itself, and the magic he created. I loved the mystery of who this frail being, Skellig, was and I loved the magical world of the book.
I have a friend who doesn't like this book, because she says that it's a stupid fantasy, not based on reality. But for me, the fantasy element of the book was and still is the charm of the book.
Sometimes you have to escape from the everyday world and this book offers the perfect opportunity to do so. This book is a dreamy, beautiful offering of love, wonder, and friendship. It was a breath of fresh air to me as a ten year old, and whenever I feel down or stressed it is one of the books I return to.
It's up to you whether you buy this book or not, I hope I might have persuaded you to buy this book and if you're not going to, I think you've missed out on something very pure and beautiful. If you do, then I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and do now.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting read, 21 April 2007
This review is from: Skellig (Paperback)
I read this book to see if it would be an appropriate read for my seven year old daughter. I only intended to skim read it. However, from the very first page I was gripped. I read the entire book in one evening.

The story is very moving and it is beautifully written. It handles some tough issues very sensitively.

My daughter did read the book after me, and thoroughly enjoyed it too. A great read - for both adults and children.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A WONDERFUL BOOK!!!!, 26 Nov 1999
This review is from: Skellig (Paperback)
What can I say - i have 2 children aged 7 and 9, I read the first chapter in the evening and when they went to bed I read the whole book - it brought tears to my eyes - i have read many childrens book and never have i read a book that touched me as this book does - it is a wonderful story, i loved the girl in the story she has learned so much about life without going to school -the book held my children (WHICH IS QUITE HARD) and every night they said skellig!! read some more - all i can say is you have to read it, a wonderful touching emotional book that just makes me want to read it again and again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars On my top 10 best of alltime!, 11 Jan 2005
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Skellig (Audio CD)
I (37 years old) brought this book for a friends daughter (11) last christmas. When she opened the present she had read it already, many times and gushed about how brilliant it was.
Enthused she then gave me two of her favourite books to read, this one (Skellig) and Butterfly Lion. I dutifully took them and in spare moments read them.
I enjoyed Butterfly Lion but was just amazed at Skellig. It is one of those rare books that is most definately a childs book but adults will also marvel at the deft touches of tenderness and personality each character is given.
Being a big old grown up person I kind of guessed what the ending might offer but never expected it to affect me in the way it did, else I wounldn't have been sitting in a crowded pub reading it.
If your a kid make sure its on your list, if your a adult read it, it might just remind you how magical childhood is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skellig, 12 July 2009
This review is from: Skellig: TV Tie-In (Paperback)
Brilliant book. It kept me interested every the time that I read it to my grandchildren. They enjoyed it too. It's a book which starts out a bit scary but ends well. It also deals in a sensitive manner with the trials and sorrows of children.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think Skellig was an absolutely brilliant book., 15 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Skellig (Paperback)
Skellig is about a boy called Michael who moves into a new house which used to belong to a man called Ernie Myers who had died. In his back garden Michael finds an old man living in his shed eating only rats and bugs. Some people are going to Knock down the shed and Skellig (the old man) wont move so Michael pleads with him until he does. Michael makes friends with a girl called Mina who helps him move Skellig into an abandoned house that she Knows of. Soon Michael and Mina find a lot of extraordinary things about Skellig.
I think that Skellig is a brilliant book because of the way the whole story is brought to life with discription. The book held me in suspence when I thought that Skellig wouldn't move or when I thought that the baby was going to die.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Read, 30 Jun 2009
This review is from: Skellig: TV Tie-In (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter for her 10th birthday. She had seen the adaptation on Sky and really enjoyed it and I thought she would like the book. She read it quickly and really enjoyed it and I read it after her as I like to see what the books she reads are like and I thought it very different to the usual childrens books and very well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 4 star review on skellig, 18 Mar 2005
Bethany Milligan (warblington school.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skellig (Paperback)
The author (David Almond)wrote stories when he was a young boy and loved books.After he started writing little stories for adults and did a few short broadcausts on the radio, he started becoming a literacy tutor for children with learning difficulties.After a while at the school he quite his job and moved to norfolk.He found himself as a full time author with a partner and daughter.Skellig (one of David Almonds books)is a magical storie.It is about a boy called Michael with a poorly baby sister who is nealy always in hospital.His family have moved to Falconer road and when Michael was looking around the neighbourhood he finds a man in a garage called Skellig.Mina (the girl next door)makes friends with Michael and together they help Skellig.They also find out a secret but you would have to read the book if you want to find out what it is.What i enjoyed about the book was that it was a magical adventure between 3 people, 2 of them trying to help the other 1.What i didn't enjoy about the book that it had to many strange things about it.But overall i found it one of the best books i've read in years.

Skellig
Skellig by David Almond (Paperback - 11 Aug 1998)
Used & New from: 0.01