5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
I got this book out of the library for my boyfriend and ended up being stuck on the bus in traffic with it in my bag so decided to give it a go myself - wow! Almost from the first page I was completely drawn into the story and barely spoke to anyone for the next couple of days until I finished it.

I've never been a big King fan having only previously read...
Published on 20 May 2009 by L. Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Misery
Very clever adding more than one tale to a book,love kings imagination,I think he was writing about his self in that scenario.
Published 7 months ago by michael houldsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 20 May 2009
L. Wood (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)

I've never been a big King fan having only previously read Carrie but I really enjoyed this. It had me absolutely terrified in places and by the end I was a nervous wreck. King has paced this novel superbly, every time I started to relax, even slightly, there would be another edge of your seat incident. The climax of the novel was fantastic, I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest.

Annie is a terrifying character with her unpredictable mood swings and strange moral beliefs. I also liked the way that despite his hatred of her Paul found himself becoming so dependant on her and having to learn how to manage her moods. the relationship between them was the centre of the book and it was fascinating how it developed.

I would highly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 22 Jan 2005
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
this book was a brilliant read. It kept me up all night reading it. It absolutely blew me away with the writing of Stephen King as this was the first book i had read by him and definetly wont be the last. I must say this is probably the best book i have read in a while bear in mind i am only 15!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST books I've ever read, 21 Dec 2001
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
I just love Annie Wilkes! She is one of King's most fascinating, original, crazy and witty characters ever to come from the invention of his mind. From the first page this is powerful stuff, starting with a car crash and then King gives himself the challenge of a one-roomed story. Hard task? Of course, but he succeeded perfectly.
The book is more gruesome than the film, which makes Annie seem more monstrous (although who could ever forget Kathy Bates' perfect, disturbing and sheer brilliant performance of Annie in the film - she really brought another dimension to the character and deserved the oscar she so rightly won). At the time I read this, I had split my leg open and my shin was tied together with 20 thick stitches! Bad book to read when you're in that position!! But I really related to the pain and empathy of Sheldon even more when I was like that.
King captures the claustrophobia of both Annie and Paul (his incarceration and his mind)and punches you slap bang in the face with it so you pay attention. Also, parts of Paul's manuscript are to be read as they are relevant to his state of mind.
Along with The Dead Zone, this is my prefered King book - unforgettable and chilling, like the film adaption, which is one of my favourite films ever. And not one cheesey monster in sight! I've never read a better psychological thriller than this.
reznor84666@aol.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Intensely captivating; classic King, 10 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
Stephen King is known as the master of horror, and in 'Misery', he more than lives up to this title. This book has no monsters, no demons, no ghouls; only Annie Wilkes, and she is infinitely worse than any supernatural creation as she terrorises protagonist Paul Sheldon as he lies crippled in her back bedroom. 'Misery' is not only a novel, and not only a book about how to write a novel, but it is a touchstone for any writer - this book is rich in metaphor of the trials of creating a book that someone, anyone, will want to read, and it is impossible for anyone who has known the pain of writing, and wanting to write, not to identify with Sheldon.
I have read most of King's books, and this is, without a doubt, the best of the lot. The film starring James Caan and Kathy Bates (who won an Oscar for her role) is brilliant, but this is even better. I bought it several years ago, and have read it over and over, because the twists and turns always surprise. Well done to the author for a book honed to perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Annie Wilkes is a "cockadoodie" psycho!, 16 Aug 2007
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
This books is one of the best I have ever read. I'm a huge fan of King, and I've read about 25 of his novels so far, but I have to say this is one of my favourites...

I read this over a period of two nights, and I literally couldn't put it down. The suspense in this book is unbelievable, and it has several shocking scenes.

The movie, in my opinion, is one of the best adaptations of any of King's books, and having seen the film long before reading the book, I thought the book would be spoiled by this... but it wasn't. There are loads of little differences in the book, and of course there are more scenes than the film, because obviously you can never fit a whole book into a movie. And there are several surprises for those that have seen the film before reading the novel, because some of the scenes you see in the film, and expect to read in the book are different, and better, and more shocking and gruesome.

After reading Misery, I have to say that Kathy Bates really deserved her oscar for playing Annie Wilkes in the movie, becasue she literally became the character. The Paul Sheldon of the novel took on his own appearance in my mind, but Kathy Bates was firmly stuck in my head as the evil nurse Annie Wilkes.

I can't praise this novel enough. In a hundred years I'm sure this will be seen as an all-time classic. King's writing is admirable, and his technique of keeping you glued to the pages is amazing and enviable.

As a final note, I think that watching the film first and thinking i knew what to expect and what was coming as i flew through the pages of the book set me up for a lot of surprises. And becasue of this, I think the novel was more frightening than it would have been if i had no idea what was going to happen, because the film kind of leads you astray in a sense, so when something that you expect happen doesnt, or is a little different, its more shocking and frightening.

I'll leave it at that.
Read this book.
You wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best King novel, 15 Dec 2008
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
Misery is by far the best Stephen King novel I have ever read. There is just so much to it that makes a fantastic story.

The plot is about a writer who has spawned a line of best selling books called misery. He decides to kill her off so he can get on with some real work and is on his way to publish a new novel. He crashes however and is saved by an ex nurse named Annie Wilkes who just happens to be his number one fan. When she finds out what happened to misery she's not pleased and forces him to bring her back from the dead.

Annie Wilkes firstly is a fantastaic character and one of Kings most unique creations. Apart from that she is also terrifying, taking insanity to new heights. If you don't buy the book for the plot(which is brilliant)buy it to experience Annie Wilkes.

Kings prose is as ever fantastic and witty. The story really is brought to life by his own techniques; he knows how to write scary fiction.

If your a horror buff like me you can't do wrong with this little gem. It's a masterpiece in charaterization and how to create a frightening atmosphere. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Misery-a great book and a horror classic, 2 Jan 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
This was the second stephen king book i have read after reading 'Cujo' and i must say that i am very very impressed with this book

the story tells about a author called 'Paul Sheldon' who has written a series of novels about a woman known as 'misery' however in his most recent book he has decided to kill her off to allow him to start a new series of books. on his way back to his house his car crashes and then overturns, knocking him out.when paul awakens he finds himself in the house of a strange woman known as 'Annie Wilkes' who tells him that she is a trained nurse and has been looking after him for the best part of two weeks. However annie turnes out to be pauls number-one fan and when she comes to the end of his last 'misery' book she is not very impressed...paul sheldon used to write for a living,but now he's writng for his life...

Overall this is a very good book however its not for the faint-hearted as there are some very gory and horrible scenes.
a true horror classic and a must-read for all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cockadoodie brilliant, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
I saw the film a number of years ago starring the excellent Cathy Bates, so thought I would give the book a try. As usual with King I really enjoyed the book a whole lot more.

Paul Sheldon has written about a character called Misery, she has made him a bestseller and a fortune. However he has decided to kill off his creation.....

After a car crash he is found by his number one fan, Annie Wilkes, she is not happy with the situation and will do anything to keep Paul writing Misery's tales....

Plenty of psychological and horror action in this King offering. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, absorbing and very, very disturbing, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Misery (Kindle Edition)
"Misery" follows Paul Sheldon, a famous writer of the Misery Chastain romantic adventure novels that entertain a whole nation of housewives, after a car accident leaves him injured and entrapped in the isolated home of his psychopathic "number one fan" Annie Wilkes.

This is one of those rare thriller novels that manages to combine genuine terror with a high level of sophisticated and worthy prose - King does not compromise his writing ability in his journey of furthering the plot. He manages to convey the sadistic Annie with an almost poetic ease, illustrating her insanity in a wonderfully eloquent manner rather than resorting to mere "blood and guts" to show her true deluded evil nature.

Sheldon's deterioration is haunting as you see him slowly accept a life at Annie's that will end, at some point, in his death. His growing addiction to pain killers is incredibly well written as is the unbelievable pain that he is experiencing throughout the novel, especially the metaphor of the pilings which he compares to his unbearable pain.

I could hardly put this down as I was desperate to read the next page and then the next in order to follow Paul's struggle at Annie's hands. The finale is truly fantastic and certainly ends the story on a high note.

This is a true horror novel with perfectly toned prose that chills you to the bone. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and Original, 7 Aug 2012
This review is from: Misery (Paperback)
Having never read Steven King before, nor watched the film, I was not sure what to expect when I opened the book. Whatever my expectations were, this book exceeded them.
The story follows a popular author who, after crashing his car, wakes up to find himself in the house of his 'number one fan'. She has given him drugs to ease the pain of his mutilated legs, and has looked after him since the accident. The author has recently finished another book in his 'Misery' series, which his saviour is reading. She had already struck him as being very strange, but when she finds out that he kills off his main character, Misery, things become a lot worse. He is forced to write for his life.
Although some of the parts of the book are very unlikely to have really ocurred, as it says, as long as it's 'fair' it doesn't matter how unlikely it is. There are a few bloody moments, with very vivid description, but not as much as I had expected. On occasion, the book cuts to sections of the Misery book he is writing.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and woulld certainly reccommend it to anyone else!

Misery
Misery by Stephen King (Paperback - 15 May 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01