Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2001
I thought this book was very entertaining and Arabella Weir gave a really good impression of a thirty-something woman's life.I have read this book at least four times and each time i find the story funny. She made the book fun but included some seriousness into the woman's life. She showed how some small things can rule a person's life and how love made this life so much better. She helped people see that what other people think of you should not rule your life.
on 9 October 2005
Arabella Weir had me in stitches with this book. I must have read it at least a dozen times now and every time it still has the same effect. Jaqueline M Payne is so irritatingly paranoid that its funny, what with falling over on holiday in front of her work colleagues to berating "Downstairs Man" over the state of the drains and then pretending she had an anyerism to getting so drunk while on a date that her PNB (potential new boyfriend) had to carry her home and put her to bed! Jackie is so funny in this book and it brings some light relief to your own world. I enjoyed this book so much that I bought it on Audio Tape. I would recommend this book to anyone, I found it hysterical at times, even though Jackie is a bit too paranoid to be believable on occasions and you do sometimes get annoyed with her penchant for disecting every nuance of a conversation and thinking that everyone thinks the worst of her. However, that aside the scrapes and situations she finds herself in are so cringeworthy its hilarious. Definitly worth a read if you want a good laugh!
on 25 June 2009
Whether Arabella Weir had read or even heard of Bridget Jones' Diary before she began to write this novel, I don't know. If she had, such an obvious attempt to cash in with a clone deserves to fall flat. If she hadn't, then maybe it's just sheer back luck that this book reads like a poor imitation of Helen Fielding's mega-hit. The structure of the two novels is remarkably similar - weight-obsessed, unlucky in love woman bemoans her romantic and diet disasters in diary form - but sadly for Weir, without similar success levels. Yes, Bridget Jones was a neurotic character, but Helen Fielding made her endearing and quirky; Jacqui Payne is just wet. Where Bridget seems naive, Jacqui seems thick. The character's insecurities become overwhelming and annoying, and her complete failure to spot the obvious is simply irritating after a while. It's really stretching a point to make us believe that two men would fall in love with her at the same time; most would want to strangle her within an hour.

If this book hadn't been up against a worldwide hit in the same genre, the things that are good about it (there are some genuinely funny moments) might have stood out and taken it above the average. As it is, an ultimately poorly drawn lead character and an unconvincing ending mire this firmly in the forgettable airport fiction category.
on 5 March 2001
I was very surprised that the average review of this book rated four stars. Although it was amusing, it has been done far better by Helen Fielding in Bridget Jones' Diary. Unlike, Bridget Jones, Weir's character is not credible, nor particularly likeable and she is much too self-indulgent. Indeed, one frequently wonders how she managed to obtain a high-powered well paid job with her overwhelming lack of self-confidence. I was really looking forward to reading this book, but ultimately found it boring and a very poor second best to Bridget Jones.
on 3 September 2001
I think those who didn't rate this novel at least 4 stars, haven't ever really had problems with the size of their bums. I bumped into Arabella's book truly accidentally, in a library of foreign books here in Hungary - when I was about to find something highbrow to read - and I've chosen Arabella instead. This whole Bridget Jones hysteria didn't seem to have reached Hungary at that time, so this was my first encounter to this type of diary-like women-novel - and I can tell you I was amazed! At the moment I'm planning to translate it to Hungarian, because Hungarian women are quite sure to love it just like me.
on 27 April 2000
Does my bum look big in this? Who cares? I honestly couldn't believe how much this women went on and on and on- yawn. It was amusing in places but to be honest I had real trouble persevering to the end as it was just the same self obsessed , not particularly orignal witterings of someone who should quite frankly get out more! Sorry Arabella, I think you're brilliant in The Fast show !
on 19 December 2007
This book was the funniest thing that I've ever read. Her comidic humor just leapes off the page. The take on real life and a woman's insecurties was true to life and you can't help but relate to it.
on 20 May 2000
This was the most hilarious book that I have ever read and I found myself wanting to read it all the time. I laughed all the way through it as I was able to indentify with what Jacqueline was going through.
I recommended this book to my mother-in-law who has now almost finished reading it and has already promised it to her sister-in-law.
I can't wait to have it back so that I can read it again, for about the 5th time.
I really hope that Arabella Weir has plans to write a similar book in the future.
on 20 May 2000
on 20 October 2003
Does my bum look big in this? The eternal question that most women are obsessed with and men fear to answer. As the title suggests, it is a story about a neurotic woman very much like Bridget Jones, written in a diary form.
Here, the heroine is Jackie, who reckons that a small bum & perky breasts are the answer to all her prayers or indeed that is all she prays & prattles about.
This book has it funny, witty moments and doesn't require a lot of brain power to read. Good enough read for a train journey etc.