on 30 June 2009
How strange that readers can have the complete opposite experience. I loved this book, so much so I immediately bought the 2nd one.

It's three short stories in one book, but all the characters are connected, and I loved the idea of the night world. Personally I thought 'it was' cleverly written.

Don't expect blood and gore though, they are more love stories. So if you are into the goth culture in a romantic way, this is the book for you. You'll be dreaming of finding your 'soulmate' and being a vampire with sexy powers by the end of it...!!
on 1 February 2004
For anyone who hasn't read the night world series and wonders what all the fuss is about, I would start at the beginning and read this book first. (Some of the character's names you might come across in other NW books). The Night World books are incredibly readable and satisfying and has what a lot of fantasy books lack, which is the ability to keep the audience's interest. Rather than over-emphasising on excessive description, this story is grounded in the real world but adds a fantasy world around it. The character's are thoroughly enjoyable and once you pick up the book, you won't put it down until it's finished. I didn't.
on 5 July 2004
This is the first book in the NightWorld series a place where vampires, werewolf's, shapeshifters and witches live together and avoid humans so they dont realise what they are.
The Nightworld series is about people of the NightWorld, finding there soulmantes but in the process revealing there secrets to humans.
Secret Vampire is the first in this series and is a excellent book, Poppy a young human girl finds out that she is dying from a form of cancer (you cant help feeling so sorry for her, shes such a sweet character) and then theres her dark brooding best friend James who will try anything to keep his best friend from dying, even revealing the NightWorld to her and trying to convince her to turn into a vampire like him so she can stay alive with him forever, how romantic!
There are many twists to this story that you dont expect to happen and the way they both realise there love for eachother makes a very liekable story.
L.J.Smith has created a very believable world hidden from our view that you can actually believe is out there somewhere, and her characters are so nice and kind that you can relate to them straight away and believe that they exist.
I would recommend this book to and child or young adult who likes a good fantasy romance!
So in conclusion BUY THIS BOOK
on 18 January 2004
The secret vampire is the first book in the Night world series. Although it can be slow to start i found i couldn't put it down after the first couple of chapters! Its a story about love on a supernatural high and a journey that changes the lives of the characters. The Night World is a believable place that can exist in the shadows of our own which gives the book its fantastic appeal. James, poppy's friend can change her fate by offering her eternal life against her illness. The only catch is she has to be a vampire and live in the shadows with him! The book also has stunning characters such as Ash the gorgeous vampire who dosn't care for humans. The book is so compelling i feel beacuse it is about breaking the laws of the night world by letting humans become a part of it, its like glimpsing into something you shouldn't and makes the book a non stop thrilling read! This isn't just a run of the mill fantasy book, its laced with romance, emotion and a gripping plot. This book answers so many questions about the world and love that it is fully believable, Who is to say the Night world dosn't exist?! This is a fantastic read that leads to a stunning series. You won't regret reading this!
on 7 August 2009
I got this book as a present for my 15th birthday. Before i got it, I hardly ever used to read but, after reading the first page i was hooked! I can hardly put the book down and i am looking forward for my volume 2 to arrive!

This book is a great buy and trust me, you'll love it!
on 29 October 2009
I'm fifteen, and recently discovered these books, hoping for something to keep me occupied. I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought that the short story aspect to them would be annoying, having to rebuild a 'relationship' with the new characters in each story, but actually it seems like a good idea because it's harder to remember each story, meaning I could go back and read them all over again and it doesn't get boring. I've read all three books (so nine short stories all together) and enjoyed every single one of them. To sum them up, they're about people from the night world which is a world unknown to humans made up of vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves and witches, they live amongst humans but can't reveal their secret or fall in love with humans, the consequence is death to both the night person and human but for some people it's not as easy as that because the soulmate principal is re-emerging meaning that they can't help but fall in love. Each short story as far as I can remember is about soulmates meeting which is harder for some night people as some of them absolutely hate humans or see them as food. The whole world is changing, new powers are emerging and I'm still waiting to see what happens in the next book which is out in 2010. Can't wait!!! They are amazing and I'm sure most of you would enjoy them, but obviously not every book is for everyone but if the short story aspect of them is putting you off, DON'T LET IT! I did at first but I thoroughly enjoyed them. Hope this helps!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 October 2006
Poppy North is a typical sixteen-year old--she gets through school by being smarter than her teachers; likes to irritate her straight-laced twin brother, Phil; listens to New Age and techno music; has a secret crush on her best friend, James; and wakes up on the first morning of summer vacation before her senior year of high-school with nothing more paramount on her mind than what she can do with an entire summer spent with James.

Until the pain in her abdomen, which has steadily been increasing, working its way around to her back, keeping her awake at night, and causing her to lose weight, sends her to the doctor. Who then sends her to the hospital for tests. Where doctors then inform her that she has pancreatic cancer--the kind that will kill you within three weeks to three months.

Poppy, of course, isn't ready to die. Watching the reaction of her family--twin brother Phil, her mother, and step-father Cliff--only brings the truth closer to home. Poppy is going to die, there's nothing anyone can do about it, and it's going to be painful.

Except there is someone who can do something about it. James Rasmussen, her best friend from El Camino High School, her secret crush, a boy who now tells her something impossible--he's a lamia, a boy who was born a vampire, a member of the Night World, and he can change Poppy into a vampire to avoid certain death.

Of course Poppy doesn't believe him at first, but then what choice does she have? There's always been something different about James, and now she knows exactly what the difference is. So she agrees to become a vampire, knowing she'll have to leave her family behind, but knowing it's the only way to avoid certain death.

What follows is a fast-moving, interesting story about Poppy's immersion into becoming a vampire, the toll it takes on her brother, Phil, who finds out what they're doing, and the danger it puts James in. Because there are only two rules of the Night World: Never let the humans know it exists, and never fall in love with one of them. James has broken both of those rules.

What a great start to the Night World series! Towards the end of the book we meet some other interesting characters, which I'm guessing will play major roles in future books, so I can't wait to get started on the next read.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"
on 25 April 2011
The first thing I loved about these books are how some of the characters in each story are linked to one another-great for getting to know the characters more.

First book was about Poppy who finds out she has a terminal illness and her best friend might just be able to save her by risking his own life. Found this one to be aimed more at younger readers by the style of the writing but the issues of terminal illness were more suited to an older target audience I think personally.

My favourite had to be the second, Daughters of Darkness without a doubt-just loved bad boy Ash (funny because I hated him in story one!), this is what made me rate this book 5*. I didn't want this story to end-I hope we find out more in one of the other bind ups.

Enchantress, the third book was a nice change from vampires by replacing them with witches but I just didn't feel much between Thea and Eric and I felt like L.J Smith didn't build up their feelings or Eric's character enough.

Overall, still doesn't beat my favourite books which up to now are the twilight saga-they just don't have the depth like Twilight does, but I did love Daughters of Darkness. I'd say each of the books are aimed at a mix of different ages, from about 13 for Secret Vampire (style of writing but not the issues) to a bit older for the other two stories. None of them are typically 'adult' reading but I'm 26 and I did enjoy.
on 7 January 2010
This volume contains the first three novels of the Night World series: Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness & Enchantress.

The target audience for these books is teenagers, or young adults, but this doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy them too. A couple of chapters into the first novel & I was totally hooked. They're really easy reading too which meant I finished the entire book in a couple of days.

In my opinion the Night World books aren't quite as good as the Twilight saga, but they are still very enjoyable. They're definitely satisfying if you're looking for post Twilight reading. It's also perhaps worth noting that the Night World novels were written before the Twilight saga & that although they do contain Vampires they're sufficiently different from the Twilight books that if you didn't enjoy Twilight you still might enjoy these!

If you enjoy romance with a bit of a twist then these books are probably your cup of tea!
on 17 August 2009
I loved these books!

The stories are very well done, and the fact that theyare all different, but still related, it's great. As soon as I started reading I couldn't put them down, about to go onto read the third volume, can't wait.

This genre of books is a really good one, I have many of vampire and supernatural related fictions and they always keep me hooked.

Definately recommend them!