5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible, funny, touching tragedy
I read this book for the first time two months ago, and now I've read it again. My second reading was inspired by the fact that I was part way through the book the first time before I realized what an incredible book it was. So I wanted to read it again from the start with a proper sense of appreciation.
"The Tailor of Panama" is purportedly a spy thriller, but the...
Published on 17 Feb 2004 by Rennie Petersen

3.0 out of 5 stars A Homage to "Our Man in Havana"
Published on 2 May 2011 by Mr. Ross Maynard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A Homage to "Our Man in Havana", 2 May 2011
Mr. Ross Maynard (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Tailor of Panama (Paperback)
This is not a Le Carre spy thriller. If you come to this book expecting another of his great spy books then you may be disappointed. In fact "The Tailor of Panama" is a sort of homage to Graham Greene's "Our Man in Havana", and the books are probably best read as a pair so you can understand where Mr Le Carre got his idea from, and how the two great writers develop the idea differently. Graham Greene's book is a lightweight and gentle romantic comedy. Not his best book by a long way but enjoyable enough. John Le Carre develops the characters and the idea much more fully, with a much darker twist. To be honest the mixture of styles didn't really work for me. The books starts as a bit of a farce - very much along the same lines as "Our Man in Havana" - but subtly changes into tragedy as people begin to take the tailor's stories seriously. Unfortunately I found the book too long, with too many side shoots and diversions, and I found I was just reading it to finish it for much of the second half. The ending is moving but I found it quite confusing. Where is the tailor going? His wife has finally realised she loves him; and he realises he loves Marta; so why does he do what he does? While it is interesting for one great writer to take on another great writer's idea, I felt that Mr Le Carre played it out too much. The book could have been much better and much sharper at half the length and still delivered a moving ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible, funny, touching tragedy, 17 Feb 2004
Rennie Petersen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tailor of Panama (Paperback)
"The Tailor of Panama" is purportedly a spy thriller, but the spy story is actually just the framework on which John le Carré weaves his amazing study of human nature. And the human characteristics which are dominant are not ones that the human race should be proud of. We are presented with large amounts of greed, dishonesty, jealousy, cruelty, selfish lust, corruption, apathy, frailty and stupidity. On top of that we are presented with some of the less attractive conditions for human existence: poverty, suffering, guilt and sickness.
But the amazing thing is that John le Carré writes about these human characteristics and conditions with a great deal of humor and understanding. And he does provide a few glimpses of love, altruism and generosity.
So even though the story ends tragically it is for the most part a funny and touching story, and this makes the book very readable.
Another strength of the book is John le Carré's masterful command of the English language. He writes beautiful descriptions, and has a surprising and inventive way with words. I often found myself delighted with one sentence after another, each one saying something in a way I hadn't realized was possible.
The way in which the plot is slowly but surely expanded is also very satisfying. We start out with the daily lives of a few seemingly ordinary people. But then the seemingly ordinary people are shown to be less and less ordinary, and at the same time more and more people are added to the story, and the scope of the story expands until high-level international politics of the worst sort get involved.
Yet another positive aspect of the book is the large amount of very interesting information about life in Panama and how Panama society works. In this respect the book can be considered to be an insider's tourist guide to Panama.
Highly recommended - and to be read slowly and savored.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Maestro's magic foiled by feeble humour, 25 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tailor of Panama (Paperback)
It's usually the clowns wanting to play Hamlet: the wannabe Tom Sharpes wanting to write Harry Crews; the Tom Lehrers craving to croon Randy Newman. Here we have The Master - the author of the perfect "Perfect Spy" and the untouchable "Night Porter" - losing sight of what he does best and dishing up *the* most ghastly, leaden humour that not only flubs badly but drags down everything else that might have worked. I've absolutely no doubt that agent, editor and pals begged Cornwell on their knees to stick to the straight and narrow but fame and success are heady brews ... shame.
My tip: browse his latest one carefully, monitor the reviews for the slightest grisly reference to wit and light-heartedness - and keep fingers crossed that 'Panama' was a one-off dotage vanity jaunt

3.0 out of 5 stars A tangled web..., 15 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Tailor of Panama (Paperback)
Interesting spy thriller set in Panama after the collapse of the Noriega regime. Excellent sense of time and place and of the desperation of the characters making the best of a confusing time where no-one is sure of their future.

At the centre of this Pendel, the Tailor, and Osnard, a British agent, each weave lies over lies and attempt to create their own realities, that in the end must crumble despite their ever more frantic story-telling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Carre Does "Our Man in Havana", 27 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
If you read and liked Graham Greene's Our Man in Havana, I predict you will like The Tailor of Panama. The books have many similarities, especially in their satirical treatment of the spying establishment and those who serve it.
If you have not read Our Man in Havana, be aware that this book is not at all like any other Le Carre spy book you have read before. So if you are looking for another of his great reads in the genre of The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, The Looking Glass War, A Small Town in Germany, Tinker Tailor Solider Spy, The Honourable Schoolboy and Smiley's People, this is the wrong book for you.
On the other hand, if you are open-minded enough to wonder what Le Carre's idea of humor would like in making fun of spies, spying, and spy novels, then you have come to the right place. This is one of the two great satires of this sort. Our Man in Havana is the other. I recommend them both, when you are in the mood for that kind of a story.
As I read this book, I was constantly reminded of stories that often surface in the newspaper about spies who have been working both sides against the middle to improve their incomes. Eric Ambler was drawn to that theme, and Mr. Carre seems to share that fascination in this book.
In a broader sense, the satire here is really about the foibles we all have. If you have an easy time laughing at yourself, you may find moments when you see yourself in the mirror through Le Carre's fine novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Tailor of Panama (Paperback)
Having read quite a few of John LeCarre's books this one lives up to expectations. It is engrossing from the off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inimitable, 6 Sep 2013
John Le Carre is the mystery writer of writers. Any detail which seems of little importance, will be revealed to be of the utmost relevance as the story progresses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Tailor of Panama (Paperback)
With a storyline perhaps a little too close to Our Man in Havana, the story is not quite the sort of spy thriller one usually associates with le Carre. Those who prefer the terser style and harder edge of Tinker Tailor may find this one florid, and perhaps even a little irritating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!, 20 April 2013
This is not as good as the other le Carre books I have read. It isn't sure whether it is a black comedy, a spy story or a romance. The characters are really unbelievable if the story is not a comedic approach to the spy genre, but as a result it fails to be good at either.

The internal ramblings of the Tailor become wearisome as the story unfolds. His wife portrayed initially as perfect collapses morally once she grasped at least part of what has been going on and this deteriorates into the hackneyed plot model of a one nighter with the "spy" which adds nothing to the plot.

3 out of 5 is probably too high for this disappointing book a good writer!

2.0 out of 5 stars If you saw the movie, Do not read, 7 Oct 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tailor of Panama (Paperback)
The plot though rather good, could not keep my attention. Some of the characters are well written, but others, seem to drag the book down. The book does not flow and you will find yourself putting it down to do something. The story is a satire on the time when America has just handed over the Panama canal. Though I cannot believe that any agency would fall for the information that was passed on by Harry, the tailor and would be spy. Of course I read the whole book, becasue my rule is once you start ....finish it. Other wise I would have put it down. Just watch the movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Tailor of Panama
The Tailor of Panama by John Le Carré (Hardcover - 7 Oct 1996)