4.0 out of 5 stars A credit to the memory of Dorothy L. Sayers
Jill Paton Walsh is surely a credit to the memory of Dorothy L. Sayers and a true friend to Peter and Harriet Wimsey's fans the world over. Thrones, Dominations is entirely convincing and hugely enjoyable. Perhaps the first chapter does not quite hit the Sayers note but the book then reads in a manner which honours one of Britain's favourite Queens of Crime,...
Published on 27 Mar 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Lord Peter never shows up.
this book does little to bring Lord Peter Wimsey back.
Introductory quotations do little to enhance a verbose exercise.
.Sorry Dorothys Sayer name is on the cover.
Sorry I bought it.
Published 7 months ago by musik liebhaber von toronto

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely to have their story continued, 4 April 2014
GK Ingram (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a satisfying book as it lovely to see how Peter & Harriet's married life pans out. The description of George V's death & funeral is very poignant and the mystery fairly satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Lord Peter Death Bredon Novel, 1 Feb 2014
She really got into the spirit of Dorothy Sayers delightful detective. He and his wife are such nice people that I felt lonely when I had finished it, despite the fact that it is only a detective novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A seamless transition, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Thrones, Dominations (Paperback)
Hard to know when DL Sayers stops and Paton Walsh begins. She has caught the style beautifully and has produced something very satisfying for fans of Peter and Harriet, as well as a clever plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love these stories, 26 Feb 2013
Having read all the existing Peter Wimsey stories, started this one with little hope of enjoying it as much. I really liked it though. Ms Walsh mist have steeped herself in Dorothy Sayers character to be able to write so like her. Look forward to further stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Dorothy L Sayers but good story, 27 Jan 2013
Austin (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thrones, Dominations (Paperback)
Lovely to find out more about Lord and Lady Peter, and it's a good read but doesn't work as well as the original. If you like the Lord Peter Whimsey series and the love story between him and Harriet, then I'd get it. I've read it at least three times now and still enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane in the Post War World, 15 Jan 2013
I find the characters of Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane fascinating, and after reading the canonical books by Dorothy Sayers, I was interested to see if Jill Paton Walsh could carry on their story in a way which remains true to Sayers's work. In my view she can. The crime and detection in the novel is as convoluted and intricate as ever and the portrayal of Peter, Harriet, Bunter and Hope is perfectly in the Sayers tradition. We get an interesting and authentic glimpse of the 1930's society in Britain on the eve of the Second World War and the way in which the old aristocratic values as personified by Gerald and Helen, Duke and Duchess of Denver, are gradually disappearing in favour of more modern views as personified by Harriet and Peter. We even have some comment on Edward VIII and Mrs Simpson from Peter's point of view.

An excellent novel which continues the story of Harriet and Peter as I am sure Dorothy Sayers would have wished.

I thoroughly recommend this novel.

Richard Christou

5.0 out of 5 stars In keeping with Sayers, 27 Dec 2012
I read a recommendation of Paton Walsh's Wimsey novels and decided to give them a try because I was having difficulty finding something new to read. I am a huge fan of Sayers work so I was prepared to abandon this book if it jarred. It did not. I very much enjoyed this book and the other two and I'm sorry there are not more. I love the depiction of Wimsey in his marriage and the plots hold up too. There's more of a modern tone in these books than in the originals but I can forgive that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 16 Mar 2012
Seagull (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thrones, Dominations (Paperback)
Having read and very much enjoyed all Dorothy L Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey stories, I started reading this book with some caution, but soon found myself thoroughly engrossed. Jill Paton Walsh has, in my opinion, done a tremendous job, and I've since also enjoyed her later Wimsey novels. In fact I'm hoping she writes some more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Emulates Dorothy L Sayers pretty well, 5 April 2011
Bluebell (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thrones, Dominations (Paperback)
The book starts sluggishly and I wondered when the action would get going, but once the author had got all her characters in place the story took off. As befits classic crime fiction the murder is elaborately constructed. I'd read the The Attenbury Emeralds before Thrones, Dominations , which is the wrong way round chronologically as the latter is set in abut 20 years earlier in Lord Peter and Harriet's marriage. I think that the author improved her emulation of Dorothy L Sayers' style in the later book, though in Thrones she does a good job of mimicking DLS's endless insertions of quotes, which I've always found irritating. By modern standards the social divide described, between the servant and upper classes, appears odious, but realistic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland, 11 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Thrones, Dominations (Paperback)
I have adored Dorothy L Sayers for years, particularly for her erudition, wit and the OTT swooping baroque splendour of her novels. I also hugely enjoyed Jill Paton Walsh's detective novel A Piece of Justice.
However, I was very disappointed by this ending of Dorothy L Sayers last unfinished manuscript. It isn't made clear in an introduction or prologue how much of the novel was written or sketched out before it was handed over, which would have been interesting for aficionados to know. The end result, though, is incredibly bland - the one thing that Sayers NEVER was! The plot is feeble, the sentiments often anachronistic, the references to the Abdication Crisis seem incredibly forced - and it's obvious that they should have resonated so much with the book's themes of love, desire, possession and self-destruction. And the ending in the cavernous secret rivers below London is something of a damp squib. All in all a missed opportunity - there's the ghost of a truly splendid book here but this, sadly, isn't it.
Still an OK read, though, for those who either don't really know Sayer's work - treat it as something quite different - or those who are just too addicted to be able to ignore even a pallid imitation...

Thrones, Dominations
Thrones, Dominations by Jill Paton Walsh (Paperback - 17 Sep 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01