5.0 out of 5 stars Thankyou Margaretha, 7 Dec 2002
A. Shaw (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Norwegian (TYL) (Audio Cassette)
I'd messed round with Norwegian in the past - using the old (very old) Teach Yourself Norwegian which I found in a second hand bookshop - not the easiest of books to read! I decided to do it properly with the latest edition.
It was easy to follow, entertaining (what did eventually happen between John and Bente?), and extremely informative. The grammar is explained well, the exercises are good, and the vocabulary at least as extensive as the old edition. Indeed, at times it is so entertaining that I didn't want to put the book down!
I didn't buy the cassette at first, but last summer, before going to Norway on holiday, I realised I should (fortunately Amazon do sell it separately!). I was only really guessing at the pronunciation - though the book attempts to give a guide. I realised I was pronouncing it quite badly in parts, but with the aid of the cassette, I really got it quite good. Whilst in Norway, I had many compliments on my Norwegian, and felt confident enough to use the language in shops, campsites, and in simple conversation with people I met. I've never been to a Norwegian class; just about all that I know came from this book.
The only thing I regret is that there's not more. I'd really love it if Margaretha Danbolt Simons could write a follow-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeg lærne Norsk fra disse bok, er det er veldig godt!, 23 Sep 2001
This review is from: Norwegian (TYL) (Paperback)
This book is so different to the usual language books. It has a way of keeping you interested. There is a story going through it about an english boy called john, and a norewegian girl called Bente. They have their ups and downs and John learns of life in Norway. Its like a programme that you can't wait to watch to see when happens next. I have never lost enthusiasm with this book. This book makes learning norwegian fun and easy, although at first it may seem a bit daunting, but once you've go the hang of it, you'll just blast through the rest. It gives insights into the way of life in Norway, national days and festivals and customs. This is a definate must, i don't think I'll ever find another book like it.
Lærne Norsk, det er nydelig!

4.0 out of 5 stars Norwegian course, 19 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Norwegian (TYL) (Audio Cassette)
The book and tape set is well designed and introduces phrases and grammar in a gradual fashion through the evolving relationship of Bente og John which is eerily compelling for some reason. At the start of the cassette there is the phrase "you will not find it difficult to speak norwegian" which overestimated my abilities! All in all though it is a good course.

4.0 out of 5 stars kjempefint! - Excellent !, 12 Dec 2001
This review is from: Norwegian (TYL) (Paperback)
I am using this book to learn Norwegian quickly and have found it extremely useful. The book is also available with a tape, which you need to practise the pronounciation of the words. The book is well structured, first giving you a chance to learn new vocabulary and new concepts before diving into the new chapter.
Jeg også trør det er ei god bøk
Colin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Norwegian (TYL) (Paperback)
Enjoyed.Like the teach yourself series.Good for basic knowledge of a language and at a good price and quality for used copy.

Norwegian (TYL)
Norwegian (TYL) by Margaretha Simons (Audio Cassette - 2 July 1997)
Out of stock