Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 November 1999
Because I didn't think any of Mr Leather's books would be as good as The Chinaman I was quite prepared to be a little let down with this one. I pleasantly found this not to be the case at all. As a revenge plot goes this is one of the best and most imaginative I have read.It involves many diverse characters, the IRA,London gangsters and beautiful women. Somehow they all come together in a manner that works very well and is very entertaining. An excellent holiday book for when you don't want to have to work too hard to keep up but at the same time require a little stimulus. Well worth the money.
on 19 July 2000
Having not heard of Mr Leather I didn't know what to expect. After I had read the first chapter i couldn't put the book down and read it in two days. The plot and characters are outstanding. A very enjoyable read and I look forward to reading his other works.
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2007
I am completely new to Stephen Leather and I read this novel in one sitting. It's a fairly easy 240 page read and once you get past the first few pages it has you hooked. It's a tale of revenge set in London and across Scotland. The book is split into two parts - the first being the setting up of the plot for revenge and the second being the aftermath one the plot had been executed. With strong characters and a gripping storyline I'll be looking out for more of his novels.

8/10.
on 4 April 2013
His thrillers are gripping from the word go and very relevant today in todays society, always thought provoking ,can't get enough!
on 11 January 2013
Great plot, great story, hard to put down.Will look out for other books by this author to read very soon
on 30 July 2013
Another winner from a excellent Author. This was different in that a large portion of the story was setting up the `pay off` leaving the reader wondering just what it was going to be. The conclusion was a little surprising after being aware of the feelings of the central character as expressed earlier in the book.
on 13 September 2013
Read this in two days it's that good . Don't read the back story before you jump in and get involved with the plot. I haven't read a Stephen Leather book I haven't enjoyed yet. Read this, if you like a straightforward thriller this is just the job.
on 1 April 2014
Not one of Stephen Leathers best books, I found the plot rambling and difficult to follow at times. It improved towards the end but I found the ending a let down!!
on 10 June 2013
since discovering Stephen Leather after reading the first in the dan shepherd series i have now read his earlier novels and have not been disappointed.
on 26 April 2011
A big fan of Stephen Leather especially his Dan ' Spider' Shepered novels (Soft Target,Cold Kill, Dead Men etc)

Pay Off is one of his very early offerings. The book had a good story line but felt very rushed and ended far to quickly. The author does get you hooked very quickly but the story lacks depth.