on 26 May 1999
A great debut novel for Robert Girardi. My friend loaned me a copy for a holiday and I was unable to put it down. Travelling back and forth in time to the very different cities of Brooklyn, New York and New Orleans, the story revolves around Ned Conti, a thirtysomething who lacks direction in his life and the paranormal events that occur in his apartment during one hot summer in New York. Wonderfully atmospheric descriptions of Conti's gritty existence in New York and the seedy side of 19th Century New Orleans. Amazing - I haven't read such a good ghost story since Susan Hill's "The Woman In Black".
on 30 September 2014
I read this book over 10 years ago and looked for it ever since as I misplaced my copy. It's hard to find so I got it for my Kindle recently and have just started to re-read. Still as wonderful as it was in my memory. It really deserves the 5 stars.