on 20 April 2000
This is an excellent beginner's guide to contemplative prayer and it is also a joy to read. "Listening to God" may be especially helpful to individuals from an evangelical tradition who feel drawn to the presence of God in prayer but have been taught to be suspicious of contemplative prayer. The author (the wife of a minister) comes from precisely this sort of background and addresses the biblical issues along with spiritual issues and practical suggestions for how to get started. Her faith shines through the pages of the and it's worth reading for its uplifting qualities alone.
VINE VOICEon 9 July 2004
Part autobiography, this is the story of how a writer from a conservative evangelical background discovered the richness of contemplative prayer and how she used these insights to encourage others to experience the Living God in a profoundly gentle yet irresistible way. A fantastic pick-me-up for anyone struggling with their prayer life (and one I must re-read!)
on 16 August 2012
I am shocked to realize that this is the 16th book I have read on prayer this year... among them classics like EM Bounds, Brother Lawrence the Practice of the Presence of God. Richard Fosters book "Prayer" 2 books by Wesley Duwell .. Tony Horsfalls Rhythms of Grace.. 4 books by David Adam, 2 from the Iona Community.. 3 by Pete Greig 2 books by Mike Mitton, and the story of the Beacon house of prayer 17 ....oops 19 one by Shane Claibourne and the other by the Order of St Francis .. Why do I say all these? ..Simply because there are many great books in addition to these titles I have listed. All those above I would recommend. However this is the only one I have felt led to write a review on.

So what was it that was so great about this one? Simple.... accessibility..... via the honesty of the author and discovering a fellow pilgrim in the journey that is prayer ... CS Lewis said we read to know we are not alone. Like Joyce I am an Evangelical Charismatic who has had his heart drawn to a contemplative life style and there..... found the sweetest of riches... God himself.

Is this a book for those starting out on the journey of prayer or a companions guide on the journey? I'm not sure.... However what is helpful is to know I'm not the only contemplative in the Charismatic village... and I don't have to leave my Protestantism at the gate to walk this way ;-)
on 15 May 2015
I was almost going to give this book a 1 rating until I got two thirds of the way into the book and touched gold. Joyce Huggett is on firm ground when she mentions the three stages of Christianity and how a lot of Christians get stuck in phase two: spiritual dryness. Here I connected with her as I found parallels in my own life in what she was saying. There are some books that you read that bore you to tears. Others are slow burners that only really get going halfway through the book. This is one of those books. The only reason I gave it more than a 1 is because the material on spiritual dryness is in no other book that I've read. For that reason, the unique material in the last third of the book redeems the rather pedestrian read in the first two-thirds of the book.
on 19 October 2013
Joyce Huggett describes her personal journey into contemplative prayer.
She leads the reader by the heart, it seems, into the ecstasies and the disappointments of her quest.
She finds deep contentment and a closeness to God which few 'ordinary Christians' achieve - but she makes the journey seem accessible to ordinary Christians (like me) too.
She awakens a desire to follow a similar path - but as no two people travel this path in the same way - each one of us will journey in a way that is uniquely our own.
But she warns us of 'The dark night of the soul' which most contemplatives will sooner or later experience.
Read this book if you can - and I hope you find it as inspiring as I did
on 17 April 2013
I have loved this book. It has really changed my prayer life and my walk with the Lord.
Would highly recommend it.
on 23 April 2012
This is a great book and a must have for any Christian. It outlines the importance of listening to god. Has been biblical written with references to the bible. But what I thought was great is the practical advice it offers on how to listen to god.
on 25 March 2016
Joyce Huggett shares her devotional experience of listening to God. Her honesty and integrity of seeking and finding that 'still small voice' is a joy to read. Our listening to God experience is encouraged and real as we take on board this book. I hope that more of Joyce Huggett's books are further available on Kindle.
on 17 February 2015
I bought this book many years ago and wanted to read it again. It is still fresh now as it was then - sound advice, and ideas that maybe slightly 'out of the box' but will help you to explore if these are things that might help you.
on 16 November 2015
More for those who prefer the contemplative way of life perhaps which is not my style! Not really what I thought it would be