5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from Page One
Published on 6 April 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK.
I like Stephen Leather's books so expected a lot from this. It started off very bitty with lots of little exerts that seemed to go nowhere and were not really that closely linked. Once it got going it was a good read though although a little odd in places. Not bad but not his best book.
Published 5 months ago by NS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from Page One, 6 April 2000
By A Customer
I bought this book after I read Leather's The Bombmaker and I found it every bit as good. Gripping from page one. His action scenes are brilliant, written like a movie, and his characters are really well-drawn. Chris Hutchison is a great hero and I hope he's brought back in future books. I'm told that a lot of Leather's books are set in South East Asia like this one, it's obviously an area he feels at home in because his descriptions really give you a flavour of the place, including Bangkok and the Golden Triangle in this book. A great thriller, with lots of research about the heroin trade and the people involved in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Best!, 23 Jun 2004
James Sansom (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought Tango One just before i went on holiday two years ago now i'm hooked! Leather is a master story teller and his other books are just as good. Though I never have found a rival to Tango One. The Solitary Man comes about the closest. Great masterful stroy telling, with several plots entering and leaving the novel but always keeping things at a great speed.
Leather writes to immediately grab the readers attention and he does masterfully with this. Hutch is a great character and you imediately sympathise with him as attempts to keep his life together as he is thrown into several dandgerous situations. The action is also relentless with always the threat of death. These characters are great and Leathers book is easily imaginable as a film if it werent so long. The final twist is a shocker seeing as the finale is brutal compared to the calm final pages and it generally comes as a shock when we realise that the story isnt over.
My only fault with his writing is that it sometimes is too violent for certain readers to handle but my gran liked it and that isnt a bad thing. Keep up the good work Mr Leather!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT,FANTASTIC,SUPERB., 22 July 2000
Stephen Leather is a brilliant author, this book made me a fan of his work. The story is unreal but real if you know what I mean the thought that he puts into his work keeps your mind working overtime. I cant praise it enough if you haven't got this novel buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from this author, 1 Jun 2014
I have read several Leather books and they all go down well. Will no doubt read more in the future

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit, 17 April 2014
Trevor Howard (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoy books by Stephen Leather and this one did not disappoint. Good plot at an exciting pace meant I found it difficult to put down. The location of SE Asia is interesting and moves easily between several locations. Don't be put off by my award of 4* as I rarely give 5*, which is what many others would award this.

4.0 out of 5 stars TRILLER, 4 Feb 2014
a cracking read once started difficult to put down. I have not been disappointed by any of his books. This is the 10th one I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 1 Jan 2014
ML Piper (UK) - See all my reviews
Stephen Leather at his usual best.Good plot well written and thoroughly readable. I have read most of his books and will continue into the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like ronseal, 28 Jun 2013
As with all Stephen Leather novels good storyline makes this hard to put down, fast pace throughout makes this a must read

5.0 out of 5 stars S Leather, 20 May 2013
I cannot praise this book enough. Exciting from beginning and story twists and changes. Not a dull moment and couldn't put the book down

5.0 out of 5 stars Prison Break, 22 April 2013
Lee Hanley (London, England) - See all my reviews
Stephen Leather likes nothing better than slicing into the underbelly of society, in this case Thailand. I don't think the Thai tourist board would be too happy about his characterisation of their country, drug dealers, murders, horrid prisons, warlords, child selling, prostitution, there is nothing to like about the country as described here which is unfair. However, without that it wouldn't be such a visceral read. It is a prison escape book which through a series of twists and turns heads into the golden triangle and an excellent climax worth of the detail in the book and the excellently crafted story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Solitary Man
The Solitary Man by Stephen Leather (Hardcover - 2 Jan 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01