on 12 February 2002
My 2 year old son, who never sits still, sat transfixed when this was read on children's tv. I then purchased it and in fact it has been read so often that we no longer need the book. Grandpa, Mummy and George all know it off by heart. The beautiful illustrations and wonderful rhythm of the story make this a magical read for toddlers. Mike Inkpen is a national treasure.
on 19 August 2001
I bought this book for my 2 year old and she loves it! The vocabulary and repeated phrases draw young children into the story. Mick Inkpen's usual exciting illustrations complete this wonderful bedtime book.
on 31 January 2002
My two year old loves this book, and can recite some pages off after only having it read three times.
It is funny, and disperses myths of horrible giants,trolls, ghosts and goblins, by adding humour and friendship to them.
My daughter can remember all the animals in the wood and their noises.
She will insist on singing "LullabyeLullabyeOOO" though, another very good Mick Inkpen book, he writes in a way that children understand..also read "Nothing" another excellent book
on 4 August 2013
My granddaughter has had this book many times from the local library so I thought she could have a copy of her own. I know she will enjoy reading it. Its 1 more Mike Inkpen book to add to her ever growing collection of wonderful stories that she reads. I would recommend this book to friends who have children of similar ages.. Well done Mike for keeping the kids entertained with your funny stories..
on 14 August 2013
excellent story great illustrations, I used to read it to my daughter who loved it so much, I now read it to my pre school children at nursery and they join in with the sshh great book I bought it again as my daughter wont let her one go even though she is grown up it brings lovely memories to us both briliant
on 20 August 2001
my two little girls (ages 4 and 2) have a passion for all things princessy, and this makes a delightful, funny alternative to the usual collection of cinderellas and ballerinas. the little princess is very cute and curly and we all roar with laughter as we try to make snoring noises at the end. a huge hit, got it out from the library time and again and at last we have a copy of our own.
on 20 August 2007
My eldest enjoyed this from the age of about 18 months upwards. It is a nice gentle read for bedtime. The only drawback is that it has many mythical creatures, which required some explanation (Mummy, what's a ghost?).
on 5 August 2013
My daughter loved this story from when she was little and i bought it as part of her 18th birthday presents and she was thrilled. The pictures are very well done and the story is fun to read with kids of all ages.
on 26 February 1999
Bought this book at a store owner's recommendation for my 3 year old daughter. [A] very well illustrated book. The words are repetitive enough for my child to follow and repeat. Excellent bed time reading...
on 20 November 2009
Brought this book for my great nephew, after it being a firm favourite with my own children when they were little. Great pictures, and good for children joining in. Real fun if read in different voices. Just a good all round book that has been enjoyed by all my family for many years. Can't fail with a Mick Inkpen book.