on 31 May 2001
I received a copy of this book some forty years ago! It was then published as "Wintle's Wonders", which I think is a much more interesting and appropriate title for the book than "Dancing Shoes", as it refers to the children's dancing troupe run by Rachel's Aunt, Mrs. Wintle,which the orphaned Rachel and her adopted sister Hilary are obliged to join. I adored the book when I first read it and I am not ashamed to admit that I still re-read it from time to time and adore it just as much. The characterisation is superb, the plot has some interesting and unpredictable twists to it, and the whole story works out most satisfactorily at the end. I am sure that this book would be appreciated by children nowadays even though it was written in a different time and about a very different era. Try it and see - I guarantee that you won't be able to put it down!
on 30 March 2009
I thought this book was excellent! I've also read Ballet Shoes, but I thought Dancing Shoes was so much better! It's got a wonderful mix of classical and modern in it, even though it was written half a century ago or more. This is one of the books that never grow old and you can read it over and over again without getting bored of it.

Rachel, Hilary, Dulcie and all the characters in it are so life like that I can almost hear and see them. It had me almost crying in some parts and laughing the next. I absolutely loved this book!
on 11 September 2011
My daughter and I read "Ballet Shoes" first which we liked, and decided to try some more in the "Shoes" series. "Theatre Shoes" seemed a bit of a potboiler written for American readers which was thinly connected with the "Ballet Shoes" characters, and covering some of the same ground. "Dancing Shoes" uses fresh characters in a very entertaining, if far-fetched story with a couple of satisfying villains and balancing sympathetic figures. There are a few words of wisdom too, that will strike any reader considering which path to take in life. On the down-side the text is appallingly punctuated. I have no idea whether the writer left her story in that state or it is the fault of the publisher/printers, but there were some passages I had to read a number of times to make sense of them.
VINE VOICEon 14 October 2000
This is another book by Noel Streatfield, author of the classic 'Ballet Shoes.' I don't know why, but I love this book every time I read it, though I'm not a ballet fanatic or anything. It follows the story of Rachel and Hilary, orphans who are forced to go and live with their unsympathetic aunt and weak uncle. It's a bit old fashioned, but it doesn't really matter once you get into the story. The ending isn't so predictable unlike many other ballet books and it doesn't all turn out exactly the way the characters want it to. I read this book first when I was little and still enjoy it years later, so don't be put off by the babyish cover. Try it!
on 16 October 2000
With the death of Rachel's mother, she and her adopted sister go to live with their aunt and uncle in London, where their aunt runs Mrs. Wintle's School of Dancing, where their cousin is the star, and spoiled brat of the school, Dulcie. But with help from kind Miss Purser who ran the house of the dancing school, to Uncle Tom, who understands that not everyone wants to be a Wintle's Little Wonder, and Mrs. Storm, who would quit her job if it were not for Rachel. Her friends help her get through having to become a Little Wonder, to trying to get Heather in the Royal Ballet.
on 3 September 2006
I enjoyed this book as Wintles Wonders as a child and have recently purchased it under this title .I wonder why it was felt necessary to change titles to form the'Shoes Series' The original titles were more inviting!!
on 30 March 2014
great to be able to give my granddaughter one of the great classics for her to enjoy as i did
on 29 April 2015
Great. Thank you
on 9 March 2015
OK
on 20 September 2014
My grand daughter liked it.