on 5 August 1999
'Pemberley' was bad: this is worse. It has an unpleasant weak plot with an inconclusive ending, and nothing whatsoever to recommend it.
I have given it one crown because there is no option to give it none at all.
Don't even think about it!
on 28 July 2003
Like most i suppose this is a ok continuation. There will be nothing as good as Jane Austens own version if she ever did one. This is the authors second attempt of doing a sequel to 'Pride and Prejudice' and once again it is a let down, that is if you are a very in deep 'Pride and Prejudice' which is you are looking at the sequel you must truly be one, like myself of course.
The story goes that Master Edward Darcy makes trouble for the Darcy family forture and marriage by his determination to fight Napolean and his huge gambling debts. This book is a down right disappointment so don't waste your time, money or effort on the book or the author.
I'm sorry if i have offended but that is my honsty opinion
on 3 August 2005
Just incase you do not heed the advice of the other review i will submit my own opinion on the subject.
"DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!"
If after reading Pemberley you are even tempted to buy this book believe me the penny will be a well wasted amount to pay for this book.
The story is worse than it's predecessor and if you can believe it weaker.
This book made me angry and was not faithful to the original story, or what we know Jane Austen wanted to have become of her favourite characters.
Even if you are an avid fan this is not worth your attention.
"YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"
on 4 May 2011
I bought this years ago ( BA - Before Amazon) and didn't send it to Charity asfterwards - so I picked it up having enjoyed the Colin Firth Mr Darcy version of P&P over the weekend and then read the last bit of P&P to set the scene for this book. Sadly the book ignores the last 2 pages of JA's P&P and her outline of family relationships post marriage and promptly sets the scene 19 years on of a Bipolar Lizzie who yoyo's between adulation for her New Gardens and Model Dairy and despair because Darcy leaves her side and goes off to boy sulk/do other Darcy Time or quasi Family things and cannot communicate fully with his wife - which is epitomised by the reference to the 1st Christmas together where the wasps (Miss Bingley et al) bully her with put downs etc. We have references very quickly to Mrs Bennett (widow) and her pronunciations on The Darcy's dysfunctional son and heir - probably would be ASBO worthy today, and so it carries on including the model caring daughter and a rather squeamish series of admirers for Lizzie. I could put up with this fiction - which is what it is after all if it were not for the pedantic writing/pace and story. The characters that seem nearest to the original are Lady C de B and Mr Collins.

I think this was the first sequel, but O dear the original is free on Kindle and remains unbeatable -amazon has 107 used copies of this book - you may enjoy - but go to the Library, my copy is off to the Charity Shop!
on 30 January 2012
Do NOT read this tripe. Even worse than the first one. I've read three-quarters of the way into it, and Georgiana has vanished, she has not been mentioned once, probably into the wasteland that this crap was printed from. Colonel Fitz has married someone he would not even think of, not from Austen's side anyway. And the characters are even more out of whack than before.
on 16 September 2014
This book is an insult to the reader. The plot is neglible and the characters are so crudely drawn that they are like caricatures.The one star is awarded because the book - I hesitate to call it a novel -is mercifully short. Do not waste your money.
on 6 May 2016
Looking forward to read this book had not realised that it was available
on 24 January 2014
I am a sucker for Pride and Prejudice and just love Elizabeth and Darcys story so I wanted to know more about their story. Of course I am a die hard Austen fan and P&P is my fave book and Tennant is no Austen but she comes close. She manages to take Austens beloved charachters and continue their story in such a way that once again we fall under their spell. Again I really felt Elizabeths struggles and enjoyed turning every page. worth buying and one of the best Austen style writers out there.