4.0 out of 5 stars A concise, gentle read which provokes thought and enlightens
I have just finished reading the book; Discrete Mathematics by A Chetwynd and P Diggle, for
the second time in less than 2 weeks, I covered it the second time in approximately two
days, in that I started yesterday and finished today. I am mentioning this so you can get
Published on 11 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of solutions for review questions lets this book down
This book is obviously designed for degree-level students to follow in or out of class, with an expectation that the solutions will be discussed in tutorials, or during lectures.

Published on 26 May 2011 by J. Poulton

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of solutions for review questions lets this book down, 26 May 2011
J. Poulton "J S Poulton" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discrete Mathematics (Modular Mathematics Series) (Paperback)

Unfortunately, for those of us studying the book alone, no solutions are available for us to check our answers to review questions. This is a serious let down, and as a result I'm stuck on the chapter on Logic, unable to go any further because I'm unsure of the answers I've provided to some of the questions.

I'm going to attempt to get through logic using a Schaums Outlines book on the subject. Books in that series usually have answers to review questions available at the back.

4.0 out of 5 stars A concise, gentle read which provokes thought and enlightens, 11 May 2002
By A Customer
an idea of how suited I am to giving an objective opinion of the book. The series preface at
the beginning of the book says that the first level texts assume "only the A Level core
curriculum". I did not do A Level mathematics but have had experience with a little higher
level mathematics due to personal research. I bought the book to learn the mathematics for
my Computer Science degree's maths and logic course, which, the test for is tomorrow (when
this was written).
I found the book quite an easy read the first time round although I struggled with some of
the probability section so skipped about 3 pages, the second time I read it I managed to
comprehend that section, I might read those three pages again so I can truly say I have read
the whole book twice.
The book takes the approach of illustrating each concept with a series of worked examples
which is quite useful, it also enables one to try to work out the solution before checking the
answer, which is always fun. Most of the concepts are explained quite clearly, however, some
of the sections caused me to have to think a lot about the material before I could fully
comprehend it and occasionally required me to use my intuition and draw my own inferences.
Of course, the second time round, most of the material seemed easier.
Each section is finished off with a selection of mathematical problems relating to the
material just covered as well as a couple of 'projects' which invite the reader to
investigate specified areas in more depth, these looked quite interesting and those I took
the time browse provoked thought. I did not actually commit myself to up-taking any of
these challenges as I didn't have time but if I had the time I am sure it would be good fun.
The most disappointing thing about the book is the fact that the end-of-section questions
do not come with corresponding answers which is a sour letdown when it comes to revision and
application of the material learned. If I expend effort on answering questions I expect to
be able to refine my skills by checking the answers and when I get them wrong, reverse
engineer the route to success if possible. Sometimes the book went a bit over the top on
simple subjects and not into enough detail on the more complex.
Something I noticed about the book was that you could see that the author's had made great
effort to make sure they were 'politically correct', this caused some of the sentences to
seem very engineered. A positive point about the book is that it has illustrations of great
mathematicians and provides a little insight into the history of the problems discussed, I
enjoyed this very much.
On the whole, the book is interesting, well written and has been carefully considered, the
main thing that lets it down is the lack of answers to the end-of-section questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced introduction, 17 Jan 2013
C. Jack "colinjack" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Well written quick to the point coverage of some aspects of discrete mathematics which is unfortunately let down by the lack of solutions for the exercises. Luckily you can find the solutions online if you search (mittuniversitetet) so all is not lost.

ARRAY(0xa3c21eac)

Discrete Mathematics (Modular Mathematics Series)
Discrete Mathematics (Modular Mathematics Series) by Peter Diggle (Paperback - 1 Oct 1995)
23.27