5.0 out of 5 stars Great start for a great subject
I only had a passing interest in Astronomy before I read this book. Patrick makes the firs few steps into the world of astronomy as painless as possible. I couldn't put the book down, I finished it the same day and have been over it a couple of times since....
Published on 1 Sep 2001 by Michael Hammond

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult
I found this book relatively difficult to follow. Whilst it is true that Moore tries to introduce subjects to his reader I think he does so in a way that is too brief and then moves quickly to the details. This leads to the immediate confusion of those new to the subject.

Published on 29 Sep 2009 by Mr X

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start for a great subject, 1 Sep 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and entertaining reading, 24 April 2002
This review is from: Astronomy (Teach Yourself) (Paperback)
I picked this book at random because I wanted a book that would tell me the basics about astronomy without all the technical jargon to confuse things. I was impressed. The only thing wrong with it was the poor standard of editing. There were numerous spelling mistakes and this meant that I had to reread certain passages to make sure I had got the meaning correct. That aside thought, I would definately recommen this book to anyone with an interest in the sky at night.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, 29 Sep 2009
This review is from: Astronomy (Teach Yourself) (Paperback)

Having said that, some of the more familiar subjects are relatively well explained and easier to understand.

Also much of the latter part of the book is occupied with descriptions of sections of the night sky which whilst useful (if you live in the places from which the view of the sky is being described) makes the book part-introduction to Astronomy/part-sky guide.

I like other books written by Moore but found this one hard going. Am not sure I would go so far as to advise against it as it contains interesting parts but I would consider buying it along with another easier to follow book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 22 July 2009
A reasonable starter book for me - I think the GCSE book by Moore and Lintott is better

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start for a great subject, 1 Sep 2001

Astronomy (Teach Yourself)
Astronomy (Teach Yourself) by CBE, DSc, FRAS, Sir Patrick Moore (Paperback - 3 Aug 1995)
Used & New from: 0.01