4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 9 July 2007
Brian Jo - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rings, Fields and Groups: Introduction to Abstract Algebra (Modular Mathematics Series) (Paperback)
For the most part, this book is a clear and concise introduction to abstract algebra. The prose is lucid and the author's notes and remarks give some intuitive rationale behind several of the results. The exercises are well-thought out, and in some cases they expound on an idea touched on earlier in the chapter.

On the other hand, a few of the chapters went over my head. The Prologue, for example, cites the major contributions of the key figures in the historical development of algebra. Since I was still an algebra novice when I read the Prologue, I found it hard to follow. Moreover, Chapter 5 on Group Theory begins with an introduction that summarizes two methods of solving the cubic. I had a lot of trouble following this section as well. In his description of Tchirnhaus' method, he brings up a simultaneous equation involving a cubic and quadratic but skips over some calculations. I spent 2 days trying to fill in the gaps, only to throw my 20 pages of scribble into the wastebasket in frustration. If you are not as obsessive as I am, then you might be ok with skipping over topics or exercises that are too advanced.

Having done every single exercise up to Chapter 5, I've found about 3-4 typos in the print, which is decent for a math text.

5.0 out of 5 stars An math student must have!, 14 Jun 2012
This book is very clear and easy to use. The author is clearly well informed in the area, and his years in lecturing reflect his ability to communicate effectively. I used this book as a companion to my lectures at uni and was very useful in providing alternative definitions and extra examples. A must have for an undergrad student in maths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin...., 5 Mar 2011
D. L. McLeary "DLM" (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is really useful for the module that I have been doing. Not only describes abstract algebra, but goes into a lot of detail, giving another angle to look at things. There is also alot of interesting information on the players and the history of abstract algebra. All in all very helpful to anyone studying this.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must for any Undergrad Maths Student...!!, 18 Nov 2000
The book is intended for extensive use of undergradurate Maths students. It is recommended by University Professors as the Core texts and introduction of anything that is related to Abstract Algebra courses. Good use of examples, with fairly clearly laid out definitions.
!The material used in this book will be useful for any undergrad students throughout the whole three year course!
(This is the recommended course text in my Uni, you can't go wrong with it!)
Anyway,(enough said!) a MUST buy not only because it covers a good understanding of the course, but by far the most important reason - it is a one of the very few grumpy Maths books that a student can afford, cheap enough to get it without the hassle of getting it out from the library!
PS. Put it that way, I am forced to buy it NOT because I am a nerd. I want to pass my exams too, but when the Professor was too intelligent for ordinary humanoids like myself and the rest of my classmates it would be mission impossible. So don't come emailing me with Maths questions unless you are studying at the primary level!!

43.48