5.0 out of 5 stars FULL OF WONDERFUL IMAGERY
I read this book about a year ago after reading the reviews on here and various other places. This book did not dissapoint me! i love the whole image you get imprinted in your mind of this bright n breezy euphoric countryside setting. You really get sucked into Mike and Midge's thoughts and feelings and put yourself in their shoes. This book is a delight to read and is...
Published on 3 Feb 2007 by John Layton

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice characterisation
I was expecting a horror story, as James Herbert is pretty famous for those, but I didn't really get one with this book. I wasn't disappointed though I just had to switch my expectations to another track.

Mike Stringer, the narrator of this tale, and his partner Midge (Margaret) Gudgeon relocate from busy London to the countryside, close to the New Forest...
Published on 31 May 2008 by Jacquie F

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak Herbert; unoriginal, slow and clunky writing., 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Paperback)
THE MAGIC COTTAGE is Herbert's 12th novel, published at a time when he was by far the most popular British horror novelist. In subject and tone, it is much different from the books that he is famous for, THE RATS, THE FOG et al, and is well-regarded by Herberts fans. Personally, I couldn't really get into it, and found it a bit simple, clichéd, and with far too much art design style description of the cottage and all its angles.

The plot is simple, and the title of the novel tells it; young aspiring couple, Mike, a musician, and [awfully-named] Midge, an artist, buy a big neglected house in the country. There is a certain vibe about the place, a feeling of peace, tranquillity; they are inspired in their respective arts, and the local wildlife flocks to them, tame and friendly; injuries seem to heal faster. But nearby another large house is home to the Synergists, a strange cult who have their own designs on both Midge and the undeniably MAGIC COTTAGE.

There are some good scenes in the book and the mystery of who the Synergists are mildly kept my interest, but it just didn't grip me, and I found that, after a long build-up, the scenes of action were a little limp and clunkily described. I do like Herbert, having read around a dozen of his books, but this one, which has been on my shelf for 18 years [next to the similarly unread SEPULCHRE], didn't really push my buttons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spooky and effective, 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Paperback)
Liked the main characters, the spooky bits were just that- spoooky. My copy was an old, battered 2nd hand one, but if you like spooky books, this is a good bet.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Cottage, 10 Mar 2012
Dixon (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Kindle Edition)
This books ok, had enough interest to keep me reading. I found the ending a bit dissappointing. For me not as good as other James Herbert's books that I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 24 Feb 2012
Mrs. J. Mercer (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Paperback)
I decided to buy this as after years of keeping hold of my husbands now *falling aprt at the seems* copy... i now have my own copy of this amazing well written book. full of plots n twists n turns it never fails to satisfy the reader.. one of his best books he's ever done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vary Good James Herbert Novel., 20 Nov 2011
Traffic (Kiruna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Kindle Edition)
I first read this book when it was first published and it was one of my favourite James Herbert books. I was pleased to see it had been released on the Kindle and iPad and so I purchased and downloaded the Kindle version. Quite different from many of his previous books, It centres around a cottage in the New Forest that has a life of its own, a magic about it that seems so wonderful at first but then things begin to get more and more darker as the story unfolds. It really is a beautifully told tale and vary well written.

Note on the Kindle version: No typos or misprints that I noticed and has been converted to e-format vary well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait?, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Paperback)
Very readable but found the long build up to the dramatic conclusion a little heavy at times. All part of painting the tranqil picture of course about the loved up pair who move to the house of their dreams(which is too good to be true of course)and it is!! Enjoyed the way events unravelled into a frenzy of horror in the last quarter of the book which made up for the rest. Worth buying but be prepared for the long wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Hardcover)
This story is just amazing - full of fantasy and magic.

Excellent price too - really pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars best in class, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Kindle Edition)
i have been reading james herbert for the last 22 years, now after buying a kindle i thought about rekindling his books and the mermorys that they have given to me

5.0 out of 5 stars Draws you in..., 25 May 2011
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Paperback)
As soon as I turned the last page, I wanted to pick it up and start reading it again. I was so captivated by the story and the writing. Definitely one of Herbert's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent transaction, 31 Dec 2009
N. Cameron (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Paperback)
This item arrived very quickly and in absolutely perfect condition. Excellent!
Will be pleased to buy from this seller anytime

The Magic Cottage
The Magic Cottage by James Herbert (Hardcover - 9 Dec 1993)
Used & New from: 0.01