on 5 March 2011
I have just replaced my original paperback as it had literally fallen to pieces after some 30 years use! My sons were brought up on Delia's Ginger Oat Biscuits and her Sticky Date Cake never fails.
on 28 October 2015
It is Delia's book from 1987 so don't expect the same as modern books, however, you can't beat the classic recipes in this book. There are some reviews saying it's not very clear, but if you follow the recipes they clearly say exactly what to do. This book has under 10 pictures (or colour plates as they say in this book), and no they won't be of the recipe next to the picture.
This is a brilliant book and if you are used to Delia and her cookery bible you will not be disappointed. I have tried many of the recipes and they have been spot on and have not had to adapt any of them. This is now my go to book for baking.
on 15 February 2012
My well loved, original copy, is well used by my son and his girlfriend. Away at university, thought she would appriciate her own Book of Cakes.
on 28 November 2013
Needed another copy of this book to replace my original which is now very battle scarred. This copy should last me for another 30 years!!
on 4 May 2011
This is a replacement for our other one that fell to pieces.

It is Delias best book on the market for cakes. All recipes easy to make.
on 12 December 2010
I bought this book when it was first published in 1988 and I have used it regularly since. I was thrilled to find it is still available as my copy is starting to fall apart I've used it so much. The traditional christmas cake is delicious and I use the recipe every year. The gingerbread recipe is great and really is very forgiving - my three year old treats the dough like playdoh and the gingerbread men still turn out perfect. I have yet to fail with any of these recipes.
on 10 March 2014
A little worn and well used but nothing missing Lovely recipes tried and tested a few and can't wait to try some more .
on 2 January 2011
Good old fashioned Delia. No gimmic recipes. My elderly neighbours love the fruit cake recipes which I make for them.
on 9 September 2010
Remember all those cakes your mother, or grandmother, used to bake for you when you were a child - the sponges, the gingerbreads? Well, you can make them again by following Delia's recipes. And they work. No disasters, no half baked, or overburnt, offerings. Forget the fancy, and the nouvelle cuisine - go on, endulge yourself and your family, with the kind of cakes you used to enjoy!
on 24 March 2016
Excellent book, full of foolproof recipes. As long as you follow the instructions to the letter your cakes will turn out perfect! Plenty of variety in the choice of bakes, so really the only cake recipe book you will ever need. This is my second copy of the book, my first one was used so often it eventually fell apart. Highly recommended.