4.0 out of 5 stars For all Christians who have lost their way..., 18 Jun 2008
D. Rogers - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks) (Paperback)
I am just starting to adapt the material in this book to write a 6 week, 12 session course on discipleship, and will be encouraging all the students to read it. It is so clear and instructive that many people would benefit from it, especially those who have lost their way a bit and need a reminder about what the point of being a Christian is. Well worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks) (Paperback)
Thought provoking, challenging, inspirational, encouraging, correcting, instructive, powerful and relevant to living a life of Christian discipleship and obedience in the 21st century...an amazing book, and well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sincere and challenging, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks) (Paperback)
I do not understand why this book is priced over 200?! Obviously I did not buy a copy from Amazon. Such a price would put off anyone! No. I was GIVEN a copy 23 years ago, and at the time, my copy was priced at 2.95! It sat on my bookshelf, and was never read until now. "Why now?" you may ask. It has taken me that long to appreciate the subject matter that the author was expounding. It does reflect some problems of today's Western churches!

This book is not for the faint-hearted. It addresses serious matter about discipleship. I do agree that the danger of today's faith is to soften Jesus' teaching about discipleship to make it more palatable to us and to suit our convenience. It is a modern day's disease, perhaps our greed, to keep wanting the best of both worlds. The book is telling us that this option does not exist if we are serious about being Jesus' disciples.

Jesus gave us a new command. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." (John 15: 12) In our time, Christ is manifest through His body, that is His church, in unity under His authority and headship. This is revealed as the "profound mystery". I have always pondered if it is possible to find a perfect church as instructed by Christ on earth. If we do not see it, how do we know how it looks like? If we appreciate how difficult this unity is among a group of sinners, we will appreciate why this is a mystery to us! and why Jesus goes as far as saying that the world will be convinced of who He is if and when they see believers become perfectly one (John 17: 20-23).

This book unravels the mystery for me and helps me catch a glimpse of what that perfect church / body of Christ, its outlook and its functions might just look like. Sadly, it also makes me aware how much we fall short and how unlikely it is going to take place. It is a solemn lesson for us to reflect what the barriers are.

The author speaks with sincerity, passion and a sense of urgency. This book was written 30 yeas ago, but it remains totally relevant to today's situation! It means sadly nothing has changed much since then! The author seeks to convey what it really means to be a Christian and takes us through the process of examining our heart and life. It is true that if our faith does not attempt to change us, it is not worth having. If the teaching of our faith does not speak against our mind and soul, why do we need it at all? But sadly this is who a lot of us are - calling ourselves Christians while missing the radical teaching of Jesus' upside-down kingdom!

This book illuminates discipleship; it contains points that were enlightening to me, and affirms my understanding at other places. It helps us understand our situation far more and in turn make us more alert to what we must do. It is simply internally inconsistent to be a Christian and yet live an isolated life, or to be a Christian and yet be apathetic. Our scope of concern is not only our immediate circumstances but worldwide to align with God's concern.

Where does it leave us after reading the book? Pray incessantly, examine our hearts, continue to equip ourselves, and make sure we play our role and influence within the body of Christ. Finally do not lose heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars God's man for God's time!, 5 Dec 2013
Mr. D. M. Moorehead "Beryl Moorehead" (Plymouth Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks) (Paperback)
This dear man we knew in York at the height of his ministry.A near redundant church was transformed into a church which flowed into expansion.,Indeed we needed a huge inner city church to meet the needs of that overflow.This in the sixties and seventies.
It confirmed a modern day prophecy 'I will fill My church with My glory!'
Sadly David died ,only fifty but his legacy continues.All his books are a worthwhile read

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christian classic, 12 May 2014
J. Neale (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks) (Paperback)
This is an invaluable book for all who want to follow Christ as his disciples. Very spiritual and very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looked for this book for a number of years, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks) (Paperback)
I recall reading this bok anumber of years ago then I seamed to have mislade it so I was very pleased when i got this copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Discipleship, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Discipleship (Hardcover)
Bit disappointed with the condition of the book as the binding was a bit tatty - but no problem with the subject matter which was excellent!

Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks)
Discipleship (Hodder Christian paperbacks) by David Watson (Paperback - 1 Oct 1983)
Used & New from: 0.01