5.0 out of 5 stars Cloudwalker

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful novel
Published 21 months ago by DiCanioRemembers

5.0 out of 5 stars Cloudwalker, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Cloud Walker (Coronet Books) (Paperback)
Read this book first in 1974. June 1st to 2nd to be precise. I never forgot it and was so happy to be able to get it again through Amazon. Out of print for years. Loved it all over again as a seminal dystopic future future book from a time when SF was not even a recognised genre. Edmund Cooper was on track to the future. And here we are again with the luddites and fundamentalists....plus ca change....plus c'est la meme chose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Progress or stagnation?, 27 July 2011
This review is from: Cloud Walker (Coronet Books) (Paperback)
This story set in a future UK is very much of two halves - the first part a kind of rustic, peaceful but backward civilisation, while the second part is filled with action and is peppered with violence and death. From one perspective you can read the book as a penetrating satire on religious belief, or on the benefits of progress versus stagnation as a society, as perhaps the author intended. However it's also a well crafted story, with interesting ideas and is most enjoyable to read. Recommended if you like thoughtful, well-told science fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm fourteen again., 3 Jun 2014
Go on. Treat yourself.
More than a decade after I first read 'The Cloud Walker' in 1974, my wife made it clear that she didn't like the name Kieron and would not foit it on any son we had. This is still one of my Desert Island Books and returning to its pages delivers all the pleasure that made Edmund Cooper one of my favourite authors - in fact only Robert Llewelyn's 'News From Gardenia' has the same crisp and realistic aura. I had forgotten all about his paintings.
Most of the othe reviews seem nostalgic, but I'm sure this is another example of a wonderful underrated author. Cooper paints a world populated intelligently by characters who remain realistic and true to themselves despite their challenges and conflicts being so different to our own. Scenes and plots draw the reader into a single-session embrace with finely crafted example of wordsmithing.

Cooper is a writer we should share. I've gone three decades without revisiting. 'All Fool's Day' next, followed by 'A Far Sunset' and my eight-fingered god, Eka Nee 112.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Cloud Walker (Kindle Edition)
Read this book years ago. Got a kindle for christmas and was looking for something to put on it.
Came across The Cloud Walker and thought that would be good.
Read it again on my kindle. Just as good as I remembered it. Brilliant book

4.0 out of 5 stars Cloud Walker by Edmund Cooper, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Cloud Walker (Kindle Edition)
a highly original sci fi story using an historical aspect of British history as a main theme. The narrative is both exciting and well paced. I read the complete story in two days and was left with a feeling of having experienced a good old fashioned tale with a love interest, action and a satisfying ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful novel, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cloud Walker (Coronet Books) (Paperback)
I'm not surprised that this book is no longer in print. It is truly terrible. Poorly written, an implausible plot, and wafer-thin characterisation. In the space of 40 years, the world of Cloud Walker transforms from a medieval village-based society into a high-tech industrialized utopia complete with - yes! - flying machines. I bought this book because I was intrigued by the Luddites As Religion theme. Sadly, the book's multiple shortcomings completely overwhelm what could have a interesting idea. I burnt my copy and the world is a better place for it.

Cloud Walker (Coronet Books)
Cloud Walker (Coronet Books) by Edmund Cooper (Paperback - 1 Oct 1980)
Used & New from: £0.01